Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Promotions & Advertisements > Test Readers Needed - SciFi Space Adventure

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.B. (new)

J.B. (jbmanas) | 7 comments Hi all. My co-author and I are looking for test readers for an upcoming sci-fi space adventure. The primary lead characters are 18 years old, so it's sort of a YA crossover. It's tentatively titled Cadets. It's a bit of a cross between Ender's Game, Star Trek, and Star Wars. (a potential alternate title is "The Altarrans").

At this point, I'm trying to get some candid feedback to see if it's ready for prime time and if it appeals to our target readership.

If you'd like to be a test reader, just reply here or send me a message and I can send you a PDF file.

Specifically, it would be good to know, for the reader:

- Did the book grab you from the beginning?
- If not, how long did it take before it got you hooked (if ever)
- Is there anything you'd change about the book?
- Did you like the ending?
- Was there anything that bothered you about the book?
- Was the pacing good? Did you feel like putting the book down at any time? If so, when?
- Did you find the characters compelling? If not, why?
- Does the title Cadets fit the book, or do you prefer The Altarrans, or some other title?
- Did the summary blurb adequately describe the book?

Here's the summary blurb:

On a remote training planet, hotshot Earth Defense Fleet cadet Ryan Thompson and his peace-loving ex-girlfriend Amanda can’t agree on anything. But when news comes of an alien invasion of Earth—the first in human history—they are thrown together on a deadly, unauthorized mission to face an unknown enemy. What they find is beyond their wildest expectations, a discovery that changes everything they thought they knew.

With a trail of riddles and mysteries, epic space battles, and journeys to the far corners of the world, this “Ender’s Game meets Indiana Jones” sci-fi adventure should appeal to fans of both the sci-fi space opera and YA science fiction genres. This book is the second offering from authors Edward Miller and J.B. Manas. Their debut novel, The Kronos Interference, was named to Kirkus Reviews’ Best of 2012 and received a starred review in Kirkus, which called it “impressively original” and a “tour de force.”

J.B. Manas J.B. Manas

message 2: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Carruthers | 10 comments Sounds interesting.

message 3: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 412 comments I'd like to read it.

message 4: by J.B. (new)

J.B. (jbmanas) | 7 comments Mathew and Bobby, thanks for your interest! I sent you each a message inquiring about your email address, since it appears I can't send attachments via Goodreads. Then I can send along a PDF. Thanks again!

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark McLaughlin (markgmclaughlin) | 17 comments I'm game.
I review books for Foreword/Clarion, but would be happy to read your book on the side and give you my opinion. I, too, am an author of a sci-fi adventure, which was published in november 2012 - Princess Ryan's Star Marines.

send me an email at mgmprsm@yahoo.com

message 6: by J.B. (new)

J.B. (jbmanas) | 7 comments Mark, thanks! Just sent it to your email. Much appreciated!I'll definitely check out your sci-fi book too.