Indie Book Club discussion

Book of the Month: Other > Nominate Speculative Fiction books for April 2013

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
Rules are as follows:

1. Books must be available in ebook format or author willing to provide a digital copy to anyone who wants to participate.

2. Books must be available through at least one major retailer (Amazon, B&N, or Smashwords) or author is willing to provide a copy to anyone who wants to participate.

3. Self nominations are welcome, provided you have at least 10 non self promotion posts in the club.

4. All books must receive a second to be included in the poll.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter Prasad (goodreadscompeter_prasad) | 123 comments This is my first non self promotiom post.
What's the definition of Speculative Fiction?
Something made up that makes you ask questions?

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 81 comments Is there any not-too-laborious way to find and add up one's previous non-promotional posts?

message 4: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments Peter wrote: "...What's the definition of Speculative Fiction?..."

We could add another rule:

5. A prize goes to anyone who can come up with a definition of speculative fiction that everyone agrees with.

message 5: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) Steph wrote: "Peter wrote: "...What's the definition of Speculative Fiction?..."

We could add another rule:

5. A prize goes to anyone who can come up with a definition of speculative fiction that everyone agre..."

Well, I think speculative fiction is the collective whole of horror, science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, PA and utopias and dystopias as well as all the possible branches of the above mentioned categories...so in another words: it the biggie :)

message 6: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments Vardan wrote: "Well, I think speculative fiction is the collective whole of horror, science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, PA and utopias and dystopias as well as all the possible branches of the above mentioned categories...so in another words: it the biggie :) "

Aha! So it's an umbrella term, but not a genre in itself? Does that mean I can nominate some more science fiction?

message 7: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments Also, does it mean that something that isn't a genre itself won this month's genre poll?

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter Prasad (goodreadscompeter_prasad) | 123 comments Anything self-published is speculative. Unless you look like your driver's license, it's fiction. Did I win something? (joke!)

message 9: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments But as we already have a fantasy category and SCi-Fi won March I assume that excludes them?

message 10: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I see Speculative Fiction as, in this instance at least, a great chance to nominate books that don't exactly fit in some of the other major genres. I've read a lot of books that I would have trouble labeling with a traditional genre so this is a great way to get those. Though in terms of straight definition I was under the impression that is was the same thing that Vardan said.

message 11: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) Scott wrote: "I see Speculative Fiction as, in this instance at least, a great chance to nominate books that don't exactly fit in some of the other major genres. I've read a lot of books that I would have troub..."

thanks Scott, Alexandra, I second your view, let's take out sci fi but leave in some of the associated categories such as alternative history, dystopian, utopian literature etc.

message 12: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) also as food for thought: isn't science fiction an umbrella genre as well?

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 81 comments Having gotten the OK, I'm nominating my science fiction novel Twin-Bred, which asks: can interspecies diplomacy begin in the womb? . . .

I'm hoping to publish the sequel in May -- so if folks like the book, they won't have to wait long for more . . . .

Twin-Bred by Karen A. Wyle

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 81 comments (If people prefer to read something nearer the edges of this fuzzily defined genre, I also have a family drama with mystery and romance elements, set in a re-imagined afterlife . . . .)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Karen wrote: "Is there any not-too-laborious way to find and add up one's previous non-promotional posts?"

In case people are still wondering about this, look at a post you've made in the club, put your mouse over your name (e.g. message 15 by Mona, I'd put my mouse over "Mona") and then a little box should appear saying "comment history." Click on that and it will show you all your comments in this group.

message 16: by Peter (new)

Peter Prasad (goodreadscompeter_prasad) | 123 comments It's speculative, but a successful book these days has to be a genre-bender. I'm tempted to re-set my wine & cheese murder mystery, which is really an action thriller, on a dystopian Mars, but the space captain is lost, so it could be Middle Earth. I added a poem, a recipe, and a personal growth therepy session too. Is this a genre stew circa 2013? We're all ONE, right?
I'd better read Karen's book.

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim | 44 comments Don't forget the 16 year old protagonist, then you can hit YA too... ;)

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter Prasad (goodreadscompeter_prasad) | 123 comments I just wrote a victim that suddenly became a minor because the food is better in Juvie Hall.

message 19: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments Peter wrote: "...I added a poem, a recipe, and a personal growth therepy session too..."

You forgot the romantic sub-plot love triangle, comedy villains and brooding vampires (or zombies). Perhaps a code-breaking academic and a prophecy too.

message 20: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) The After/Life The After/Life by Vardan Partamyan

The After Life is the story of Nad Raven - a young man, whose childhood is shattered by a cataclysmic event that leaves him trapped in an underground vault with a few other survivors of a modern day apocalypse. It is a tale of a small community that tries to move on after all hope seems to have been wiped out by an all out nuclear war. With our planet turned into a grim wasteland, the protagonist discovers that even in an isolated micro society there is love and hate, grief and happiness, valor and treason as well as that overpowering human temptation to find out what is out there - beyond the safe walls of the underground shelter. To find out, Nad embarks on a dangerous journey that holds many dark secrets... a journey that will change his life forever...

message 21: by A.K. (new)

A.K. (akbutler) | 43 comments I would like to second The After/Life, I saw a good review on that recently, but I'd also at the same time like to nominate my own book, because reasons? Oh well, we can see how it does. ;)

The Burning of Cherry Hill by A.K. Butler

It's 2159. Zay Scot is a fourteen-year-old boy raised on a secret island in hiding from a government he doesn't know exists. After more than a decade of avoiding detection, his fugitive parents are brutally kidnapped and he is thrust into a dizzying world centuries more advanced than the one he left behind.

The skies over the United North American Alliance are pollution free. Meals are healthy and delivered to each home. Crime is nonexistent. Medical treatment requires only the scan of your wrist. Poverty, need, and hunger are things studied in history class.

But Zay soon finds himself a fugitive, escaping the brute force of a government always a whisper away. Now he must choose between peace and freedom, and if the journey doesn't kill him, what he finds might start a war.

message 22: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) A.K. wrote: "I would like to second The After/Life, I saw a good review on that recently, but I'd also at the same time like to nominate my own book, because reasons? Oh well, we can see how it does. ;)

[bookc..."

thank you for seconding my nomination and I have to say that I absolutely love the cover of your novel. I think it deserved the top honors on the book designer website!

message 23: by A.K. (new)

A.K. (akbutler) | 43 comments Vardan wrote: "I absolutely love the cover of your novel. I think it deserved the top honors on the book designer website!
"

Aw, thank you!! :)

message 24: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Second Cherry Hill and poll is up.