r/books discussion

Introductions > I'm Melissa

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissafulton) Hi, I'm Melissa

I've mostly been reading scientific papers for the last 8 years (5 years of undergrad and 3 years of graduate school). I recently finished my Masters degree in biology and have been reading for pleasure again.

I'm 28 and live on the east coast of Canada. I currently work as a research assistant in an entomology lab. I enjoy hiking, birding, and all that fun outdoor stuff. My partner and I also enjoy swing dancing.

Since I haven't read very much the last few years, I'm not even sure who my favourite authors are anymore! I like Stephen King short stories. I like Tolkien. I like Steinbeck. And I'm looking forward to discovering more writers.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Well you sound like an awesome person. Do you mind if I ask what kind of biology work you do?

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissafulton) Ashley wrote: "Well you sound like an awesome person. Do you mind if I ask what kind of biology work you do?"

I studied pollination biology for my Masters: basically looking at the interaction between flower and pollinator in an agricultural system. Plant reproduction is the coolest!

message 4: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
@Melissa, I have never heard of studying pollination biology. That's sweet! Mind painting us a picture of what that entitles?

Also have you read Dean Koontz? A lot of Stephen King fans tend to enjoy him. I know I do.

message 5: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
Hello Melissa! Welcome to the group! We have a lot of readers here who have some fantastic suggestions and recommendations! If you're starting to read for pleasure again, we'll be choosing an April book soon! We'd love it if you'd join us :)

message 6: by Darli (new)

Darli (parentheticals) | 92 comments Hi. Melissa! Welcome to the group. You can discover or rediscover works of fiction with us. Like Rose mentioned, we're starting on an April Monthly read soon. We also have a Book Support Group going on for Dune. We're starting on April too and we'd love for you to join us. :)