Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Do you think Finnick could've been saved?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vivid Light ~ ♥♥ Maybe, but Collins couldn't save everyone, and she ripped our hearts out. I suppose it had to be done, (view spoiler)

Nikki at first i hated finnick but when he died! :O omg i was bawling and i thought that collins was just playing and someone would save him but nooo she made us love him then he dies :|

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

i cared more about finnick and annie than i cared about prim, katniss, peeta, and gale

Abdulrahman He could have been saved. But this is mainly the point. If everybody was saved , it wouldn't be that thrilling and electrifying. There must be some sort of things like Finnick's death.

Luna possibly yes- I wished he would have been saved :(

Jasmine Cobb I feel there was no reason for Finnick to be killed off. What's the motive? The book is already tragic enough. It would have made more sense if Gale was killed because he didn't really contribute ANYTHING to the story. Finnick did. He had a life with Annie, making children to populate the new Panem...

Mochaspresso Considering the way he died, I don't think so. If they'd tried harder to save him, none of them would of survived it, imo. Finnick died saving them, imo. His death bought them a little extra time.

message 8: by Beladora (last edited Mar 19, 2013 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beladora Loved Finnick, but i felt that there was no reason for him to die. He'd been through enough already and especially with the other tragic death in Catching Fire.

Bowen Zhu He was a true Hero :) but he died :(

message 10: by Cara (new) - rated it 1 star

Cara Tua wrote: "Loved Finnick, but i felt that there was no reason for him to die."

Me too! I hated Mockingjay purely because of all the deaths.

Celise Sometimes I like it when author's kill well-loved characters for impact, but those deaths usually have a purpose. Finnick just seemed like a waste, so I was angry about his death more than I was upset. It just didn't benefit the story and seemed like a last-ditch effort to throw an emotional surprise at the reader. It wasn't like "only one of can live" and Finnick makes a sacrifice. It was just like "oops, guess you weren't quick enough."

message 12: by Emily (last edited Mar 18, 2013 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Finnick's death shouldn't have happened. There was no purpose of it. Killing of main charaters is a tactic for keeping readers entertained, yes, but the author usually drags it out. Collins didnt drag it out, therefore, making Finnicks death pointless and heart-breaking.

Celise Emily wrote: "Finnick's death shouldn't have happened. There was no purpose of it. Killing of main charaters is a tactic for keeping readers entertained, yes, but the author usually drags it out. Collins didnt d..."

I don't think it's about dragging it out, I think it's about killing the character when you least expect it. It was just such an obvious opportunity for character death, almost too easy for Collins.

Angelina Yes, I think Finnick could have had a chance, but he sacrificed himself and saved his friends. It was so sweet that he did that to save them, but heart breaking.POOR ANNIE!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

No, it was war.

Survival isn't purely based on importance or talent on the battlefield.......death comes somewhat arbitrarily.

message 16: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara well that is the exact thought that went through my head when i read that he died. i think he could have saved himself... might have been very challenging but i really wish he lived for Annie. :(

message 17: by Abby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby I don't really think he could have been saved because by the time she realized he was down there she saw they were already tearing him apart and he would have died even if they saved him cause they didn't have any medics or really anything to help him. BUT FINNICK WAS MY FAVORITE SO I SOOOO WISH HE DIDN'T DIE!!

message 18: by Abby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby thank you, she is a bichon poodle mix named Rory.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashley wrote: "Thanks for your opinions everyone!
Now for another question....do you think Gale was jealous of Finnick by any chance?"

Why would he?

Finnick doesn't appear to have anything Gale would want. At least not from what I picked up on.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashley wrote: "As Gale seemed to be protective of Katniss in every matter. I think that Gale was just that...wall type object keeping Katniss away from anyone else, except her family and his in a way. Finnick bec..."

Peeta was far more competition for Katniss than Finnick ever was. Finnick was simply teasing her, in tune with his normally humorous and flirtatious personality, and didn't appear to host any genuine romantic sentiments for anyone other than Annie.

Melissa I do believe that Finnick could be saved. Just a bit more help and time he could have been saved. Especially since Katniss found a way to buy the group more time to run away.

Kirby Ashley wrote: "Thanks for your opinions everyone!
Now for another question....do you think Gale was jealous of Finnick by any chance?"

I thought there was one scene where he seemed kinda jealous, but I could be misremembering it.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

okay am i the only one for like half a second who thought....Katniss&Finnick<3 ???

Josiane Claremont *wishing he could of lived, but knows he had to die*

kirstin ✿ YES! And he should have been saved :(

message 26: by Simone (new)

Simone Cherie deleted user wrote: "i cared more about finnick and annie than i cared about prim, katniss, peeta, and gale"

agreed

Freshta i just find it weird for Finnick to die because Finnick was there for Katniss in the Quater Quell but katniss wasn't there for him when the mutts came she just blew hime up into pieces. and it was kind of sad because he just got married to Annie cresta and had a son

Freshta Abby wrote: "I don't really think he could have been saved because by the time she realized he was down there she saw they were already tearing him apart and he would have died even if they saved him cause they..."
katniss could of saves him because in the movie finnick was yelling for help