The Lovely Bones The Lovely Bones discussion

is this book any good?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Katie watling I recently bought The lovely bones and i wondered if it's any good, I've seen the film and really liked it. is the book better and worth reading? and is there any down sides to it?

Robin Glasser The book is absolutely better...I read it before seeing film...in fact, it's one of my favs...the author was raped & it's one of the reasons she wrote this...I love the language, too.
cheers,
Robin

Mariana Costa I didn't like this book, I thought it was incredibly boring because i like books where things actually happen. It was impossible to finish this book but i eventually did it completely forcing myself to read it. The story is good but its just not worth it.

message 4: by Anne (last edited Mar 16, 2013 02:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne I read it a while a go, and yes it is good. If you saw the movie, it is nothing like that. The movie didn't do the book justice! I actually have read all 3 of the author's books and the other 2 are far different from this one, yet worth the read.

Sandra I did not really care for this book. The characters weren't well developed IMHO. They just did not seem like real people to me. And, if heaven is just sitting around watching earth, I'd hate to see what hell was like.

Connie Arco This is a fictional story about a teen who dies and is told by her as she watches over her family from heaven. The idea of the story is sad to think about while you read but the story was well written. I probably would not reread it but if you like this author i think it was well done.

John Lombardo I thought the movie was awful. The book was somewhat better but not by much.

Tina J The book utterly sucks!

If you look at the reviews on here, you'll actually find that MORE people disliked it!

The concept was absolutely brilliant, it's just a shame the way Sebold decided to write it.

I could go into 'why' I don't like it, but since you haven't read it yet, I don't want to give anything away.

Regardless of what people are saying.....the movie is way better! The movie actually stirred some deep emotions in me, whereas the book just made me angry.

Give it a read though, the only way you'll know, is if YOU read it.

Michelle I enjoyed the book! read it first before I saw the movie. I am always disappointed at the movie, the parts they have to leave out that shapes a story.

message 10: by Anne (last edited Mar 18, 2013 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Michelle wrote: "I enjoyed the book! read it first before I saw the movie. I am always disappointed at the movie, the parts they have to leave out that shapes a story."

I couldn't agree more, I know they have to cut things, it's too bad they cut out the "bones" of the book.

message 11: by Cami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cami Balthrop I loved this book!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read so many negative things about this book, and that is why I read it in the first place. I thought if so many people hate this book then it must be worth reading, and I was proven right. I have never seen the movie, and I don't think I ever will as I love this book too much. I also as a psychic know that most of what Alice wrote about heaven and how it is, is very very close to the mark. I think the reason so many people have such a hard time with this book is because it is about life and the realities of how harsh and cruel it can be.
If we all got around with rose coloured glasses on all the time then life would be all butterflies and rainbows but the truth of the matter is life is harsh. The reality is bad things happen to good people, and if you can understand this then I think you would commend Alice for this beautiful book rather than rip it to shreds.

I would definatley recommend this book for everyone. Whether you read it or not is your choice but you never know what you are missing if you don't.

message 13: by Ankit (new) - rated it 1 star

Ankit Agrawal Sharon wrote: "I have read so many negative things about this book, and that is why I read it in the first place. I thought if so many people hate this book then it must be worth reading, and I was proven right. ..."

I agree with you that this books talks about the harsh aspects of life which people usually in this day don't like to read. But I don't think so it is the very reason that people including myself didn't like this book. The reason for not liking it is the manner in which it was written. It was very very boring writing, and like someone above said nothing was actually happening, very slow.

message 14: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate this book was amazing! it's definitely worth the read :o)

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I thought the beginning part of The Lovely Bones was very good and very sad. It actually made me cry. But then the book takes a weird turn. Just when you think the bad guy is going to get caught and brought to justice, he doesn't. And then the book goes in a weird, totally unexpected direction. I did not care for it. I kept reading, hoping the book was going to resolve everything in the end in some satisfactory manner, but that just never happened. Having had enough of The Lovely Bones the book, I did not see the movie.

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Oh, and what about the way the Mom of victim behaves? What is up with that? What kind of person would behave like that? The character of the Mom ticked me off. I think the movie left out the Mom character, and no wonder why.

message 17: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Kim wrote:" I did not care for it. I kept reading, hoping the book was going to resolve everything in the end in some satisfactory manner, but that just never happened."

Isn't that the way life is though? Sometimes crimes aren't tied up in a satisfactory manner all the time, sometimes questions are left unanswered, and people are not brought to justice. Is it fair? NO, is it the way things are sometimes, YES. I think it is representative of reality, something that most people don't want to read/think about.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Anne wrote: "Kim wrote:" I did not care for it. I kept reading, hoping the book was going to resolve everything in the end in some satisfactory manner, but that just never happened."

Isn't that the way life is..."

Beautifully put Anne, that was the point i tried to make in my comment, but people ignored my point and just keep going on mindlessly about how boring the book is, perhaps they think their lives are too hence why they think the book was boring! Not everyone's murder is solved like in an episode of CSI.

Michelle Nope...mediocre at best.

Ifrah Alia So good. It felt very real. I was on edge the whole time and sometimes I just had to stop reading because there were just too many emotions for me to handle.

message 21: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. Straker I really enjoyed the novel. I thought it was well-written and powerful, especially the opening chapters.

I can see why people might not care for the later parts of the book, but I found how the author handled the subjects of hope and vengeance to be measured and well-done.

message 22: by Laci (new) - added it

Laci Carlson I enjoyed the book but I'm still not so sure about the movie. It was hard to imagine the limbo that Suzie was in and how to determine what the after life is at all.

message 23: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Lawrence I really enjoyed the book, however it's completely different from the movie and much slower in pace. It's definitely worth reading though!

Tina J Sharon wrote: "I have read so many negative things about this book, and that is why I read it in the first place. I thought if so many people hate this book then it must be worth reading, and I was proven right. ..."

Actually, the reason I hated this book, is nothing about what you mentioned.
I read A LOT of true stories about abuse and such.
You should read the biography of Donald 'Pee Wee' Gaskins. This book will shock you to no ends!
Anyway, I would state my reasons for my dislike of this book, but I would give a lot of the book away......and I don't want to do that for people who haven't read it yet.

Tina J Also, you keep mentioning about how this book is like real life. And how not everyone gets justice.

If you truly read the ending of this book, you would know that it was very possible for Suzy to get justice.
But she CHOSE not to!!!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I was talking about other people's reviews of the book that I had seen here on Goodreads not you in particular, and I have read the end of the book and yes that is true she chose not to but it is also true that in life some things do not get resolved that is all my point was I was not attacking you in any way shape or form. Sorry if you thought it was a personal attack on you I like everyone else in this discussion was just saying how I saw it and not attacking anyone!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I noticed other people can comment, and they are not pulled up for their comments. Totally sick and tired of wanting to share my opinion along with everyone else only to have someone take offence to what was a comment based on my personal search of reviews of this book, I thought these discussions were for everyone to air what they thought, but it seems that it is only if you agree with the majority and can not have an independent thought of your own! If my opinions offend some then that is those people's problem not mine, I have my opinion of the book and I am entitled to it like everyone else! Then again I never read a book and give it a negative review because I know how much of a soul baring thing writing a book is. Even if I don't like a book I won't say anything negative, I will say it is just not the book for me, but others that enjoy that genre will enjoy it, there is enough negativity in this world as it is!

Anika I haven't seen the film but the book is definitely worth a read. It's thoughtful.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Katie wrote: "I recently bought The lovely bones and i wondered if it's any good, I've seen the film and really liked it. is the book better and worth reading? and is there any down sides to it?"

Katie wrote: "I recently bought The lovely bones and i wondered if it's any good, I've seen the film and really liked it. is the book better and worth reading? and is there any down sides to it?"

I loved this book. It was wonderful. I highly recommend reading it. Enjoy!

Tina J Sharon wrote: "I noticed other people can comment, and they are not pulled up for their comments. Totally sick and tired of wanting to share my opinion along with everyone else only to have someone take offence t..."

Oh sweetheart, I didn't take any offence whatsoever. And I apologize if I came across that way. lol
Just trying to get into the convo......;-)

Anyway, you really should read 'Final Truth, Autobiography Of A Serial Killer'.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

This book left me in tears.....definitely not for the faint hearted though.

message 31: by nia (new) - rated it 5 stars

nia Hun. When your reading this book you don't want to put it down its suspenseful yet thrilling at the same time! If you like mysteries you ll love it

Julie This book haunts me. I read it several years ago, now I have children and I am so fearful this could happen.

Holly Fairall (birdbrainbooks) It's interesting enough to read, but it's nothing groundbreaking in my opinion.

Peggy Sanchez Katie wrote: "I recently bought The lovely bones and i wondered if it's any good, I've seen the film and really liked it. is the book better and worth reading? and is there any down sides to it?"

I thought this book was cleverly written with the narrator watching life happen in her absence and how everyone was affected by her death. Whether there was resolution or not, it is interesting to imagine what it might like to be dead. I thought the movie came real close to creating the images brought to mind in the book.

message 35: by Fran (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran I first read the book and really loved it.
A year after a friend of mine recommended me the movie and it was a complete disappointment.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

That is what i have heard too Fran i am not sure i ever want to see the movie now!

message 37: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Hopper I wouldn't say I enjoyed or liked the book. Too gruesome for any sort of enjoyment. But I really appreciated the story, and I find Sebold's writing style very compelling. I will say that I prefer her third book "The Almost Moon," another grim fiction novel, and those who found "The Lovely Bones" boring or uneventful might as well.
As for the movie, I think it was beautifully done. Incredible visual effects that brought a plot-light story to another level. A nice companion to the book.

message 38: by Book (new) - rated it 2 stars

Book I found the book hardwork. It was bland, predictable....god was I duped into falling into the best seller trap with that one.

Doris Definitely worth reading. It was not an easy or fun read but definitely had good points.

Bozhidara  Boneva I strongly recommend it, its psychological depth is amazing, the film was rather slow for me, but the book is beautifully written.

Yosra I didn't like the book at all it was boring and dull

Lorena I found the book morose and unrelievedly dark. It was like being hit with a dull hammer until dead. There are other ways to tell this story.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I have not seen the movie Dara, but I agree with you on the book.

Jennifer The movie was OK but the book was great. I've read it several times and still cry at the same parts. The book is way more emotional than the movie. Too much was left out. Without reading the book you don't know the significance of the ice sickle at the end. There are some slow and frustrating parts but it adds to the roller coaster of emotions. I cry every time I read the part where they tell Buckley about Susie (in the book only). Surprisingly, it didn't really evoke much emotion in the movie.

Nicole I like the movie more.

message 46: by Ankit (new) - rated it 1 star

Ankit Agrawal Von wrote: "I found the book hardwork. It was bland, predictable....god was I duped into falling into the best seller trap with that one."

Absolutely agree with you, I fell into the same trap. Could have been written in much better way with the same concept. But thats how books best sellers these days, the write something different and just become best sellers. Its a crap this book.

message 47: by Tash (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tash Dahling I read The Time Travelers Wife and this book at around the same time. I really loved the former. The latter not at all. The second half really loses direction for me. Sorry.

message 48: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz I actually enjoyed the movie more than I enjoyed the book. It has been about 2 years since I have read the book but I remember having trouble with the perspective of having the book narrated from the perspective of a dead girl.

Julie I loved 'The Lovely Bones'. I loved the idea of the book. The family went through a terrible crisis and almost fell apart. But, then, with the 'lovely bones' left within the family, they were able to move forward with their lives and to find peace.

Her book 'Lucky' is a memoir, and an amazing and inspirational book. Definitely worth the read.

Juliane speachless! i think it was really good. Only thing that was a lil annoying was in the middle of the book, the story was a little slow. But u should really read it:)

« previous 1 3