Goodreads All Sorts discussion

Member's Corners > Kathryn's corner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't even know what to say. It was so long since I try to speak about music or books around the web.
Well, I'll try to update it shortly with something good and worth speaking/writing

message 2: by Jack, Founder (new)

Jack (jack_) | 2831 comments Mod
Just say the first thing that comes to mind.

message 3: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Kathryn wrote: "I don't even know what to say. It was so long since I try to speak about music or books around the web.
Well, I'll try to update it shortly with something good and worth speaking/writing"

I feel you; there usually isn't anyone wanting to listen. I am lucky; at home I can talk to my big, strapping, football playing son (who loved The Road) when i need to talk books. Usually I am just pondering by myself.

Post a question and you will get 20 different answers. Post a thought, and you will get 20 different opinions; and I think that will get things moving along nicely.... :D

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The first thing, that comes to mind is not about the books or something and that's the greatest problem.
I'm thinking about the idea of Ayreon's project about those strange race, called Forever. And a little about my last attempt to participate in the role playing game about Harry Potter's magic world. This one ended pretty bad and disappointing.

So... hmm... Did/does anyone participate in some forum role-playing game or something like this? What was it about?

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Apples.

Sorry, I was trying out Jack's advice. It needs refinement, clearly.

Carry on.

P.S. How does that game work?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Jon wrote: "Apples.

Sorry, I was trying out Jack's advice. It needs refinement, clearly.

Carry on."

And I just begin to think about any possible contexts for "Apples". LoL

"P.S. How does that game work?"
Pretty simple. There was an attempt to re-write the plot of the Six book by acting it out on forum-based platform.

message 7: by Jack, Founder (new)

Jack (jack_) | 2831 comments Mod
Apples works great, I think. Lol

message 8: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Kathryn wrote: "I don't even know what to say. It was so long since I try to speak about music or books around the web.
Well, I'll try to update it shortly with something good and worth speaking/writing"

Hi Kathryn! Nice to meet you.
And I know what you mean lol I'm new, and still trying to figure out how to keep my corner up and worth reading.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice to meet you too, Jessa.
This problem is especially hard for such a shy and silent person as me. I can't invent any good topic even in my native language.

message 10: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Good day,
What country are you from?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Good day.
I'm from Russia. *sigh*

message 12: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Cool
Dobry dyen :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Zdravstvujte.
But, I would rather prefer English. If you don't mind?
What's the weather like in Israel?

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Don't worry, my Russian is terrible. English it shall be.

The weather is fine right now, a bit cold and windy but not too bad.

What about in Russia?
Also, what part of Russia?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

My English needs a lot of practice... I do too many mistakes.
It's Moscow Region. Well... It's quite snowy for a middle of March. And it's below zero. Around -5 or something like that.
Actually it's funny thing, that I usually like snowy Winter but this year it is not so.

message 16: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Your English is excellent. You make fewer mistakes than most native speakers :-o

I hope you manage to stay warm.
Here in Israel we almost never see snow.

Good night for now; it's time to read (and eventually sleep!)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Good night for now; it's time to read (and eventually sleep!)
Same here) Good night!

message 18: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Kathryn... hi there... how is it going and what are you up to this week.. thought I would pop in and visit a bit..

message 19: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments hi Kyle... how are you this morning... I see you are out visiting as well as I..

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Denisa, Kyle Hi!
I have a blizzard as well. Terrible weather. Where is the spring?!
But at least I can do my English test in silence and peace.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Kyle. But I suppose I'll fail this one.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

English Grammar. I'm from Russia, you now. So... my English is rather strange and full of mistakes.
It's very kind of you, but it's just a lack of practice this time.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I am quite good at phonetics and lexical part. But grammar makes me crazy. There are too many differences in cases and moods in English and Russian.

message 24: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Hi Denisa. I'm very well, thanks for asking. How're you?
Just popping in to say hello to my neighbours.

We're having a major blizzard here in South Boston today. I hope we don't lose power."

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I do not like snow much less blizzards. "ewwww" hoping you keep your power..on..

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

English is not difficult. It's just the influence of native language, that is hard to overcome.

message 26: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "What's the subject? Maybe I can help."

I am seeking my Master's in Creative writing , my major is English with a minor in sociology... I imagine it would be a really hard subject if it wasn't your first language....
Kathryn you might be surprised how well you will do..

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I am seeking my Master's in Creative writing , my major is English with a minor in sociology... I imagine it would be a really hard subject if it wasn't your first language....
I think I need to revise the American system of graduation. Could you please explain to me the meaning of "Major in English"?
Kathryn you might be surprised how well you will do..
I don't suppose I will ever be well enough in English.

message 28: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Kathryn wrote: "I am seeking my Master's in Creative writing , my major is English with a minor in sociology... I imagine it would be a really hard subject if it wasn't your first language....
I think I need to re..."

Kathryn... When one majors in English or any other subject like Science even it simply means your main degree is that subject in my case English.. The minor simply means I went to school a bit longer and received a minor BA degree in that other subject. It allows one to specialize in two subjects instead of just one. A lot of your core classes will work in all degrees with a few slight differences. It means I can go to school and work in both of my chosen fields without having to do 4 years in one subject and then go back and do the second degree.
Here is a link that might help explain it better for you.
http://collegelife.about.com/od/acade...
If it does not show up as a link. Copy and paste it in your browser.
Accomplishing English is simply practice.. practice reading, writing and communicating with others. You will get good at it... because on a daily day to day, we all communicate in way or another and you can do that in English..
Sending hugs...

message 29: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "That is terrific, Denisa. Creative writing, I enjoy it so much. I took Sociology in high school...loved it a lot.

@Kathryn

You certainly speak good English."

Kyle I have seen some of your writing and you are extraordinary.. I work in the social field so I chose it as my minor to help improve my standing here at work but I want my Masters in English...

message 30: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "That is terrific, Denisa. Creative writing, I enjoy it so much. I took Sociology in high school...loved it a lot.

@Kathryn

You certainly spe..."

Yes social work is rewarding and it is sad and tearful at times... good and bad...

message 31: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Hi Kathrine!!!! thought I would stop with well wishes for the weekend.... wohooooo it is finally here. It is Spring Break here the kids are out of school and the have been in and out of my office all day... but you got to love them...

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kathryn wrote: "English is not difficult. It's just the influence of native language, that is hard to overcome."

Know what you mean XD but over here we just switch to spanglish and everyone understands

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry for my sudden disappearance. I've got several problems unexpectedly.
Suppose... here would be diary-like entry in this evening

message 34: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Kathryn wrote: "Sorry for my sudden disappearance. I've got several problems unexpectedly.
Suppose... here would be diary-like entry in this evening"

Hope things get better for you Kathryn..... you were missed but your life and family is more important... sending hugs

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok... Still I didn't decide about policy or style for this corner, but anyway. So I should place here a warning about semi-personal entry.
Bad things are first.
My boyfriend lost his job. I hope he'll find a new one soon and the situation won't become a dire one. But I'll have to finish all my English language tasks on the next week. In case that I would search for a job too.
Neutral things... well... since I signed up on Goodreads I've got a lot more interesting literature than I used to see. It drives me crazy. Too many books, too little time. And I have at least 10 opened books (Both in English and in Russian) and there is simply no will-power to finish even one of them!
The only good thing is nobody fell ill or caught a chill.
And oh my gods! It so *strange* to type a diary-post in English!
/Find mistakes? Please, PM!/

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kathryn wrote: "Ok... Still I didn't decide about policy or style for this corner, but anyway. So I should place here a warning about semi-personal entry.
Bad things are first.
My boyfriend lost his job. I hope h..."

... It may seem annoying for me to say this but "when one door closes three more open". You just have to hope things will get better, hopefully he'll find a better job than what he had eh :)?

And your english is certainly better than mine! So with the creative writing do you plan on becomming an author?

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Ina wrote: "... It may seem annoying for me to say this but "when one door closes three more open". You just have to hope things will get better, hopefully he'll find a better job than what he had eh :)?"
Oh, you are certainly not annoying. In fact this is a rather logical way to think. The problem is my pessimism.
And your english is certainly better than mine!
I'm still working on it.
So with the creative writing do you plan on becomming an author?
*looking strangely surprised*
Ok... this one I didn't understand. You weren't asking me about this?

message 38: by April (new)

April (AJoyS) I think your English is great! Probably better than my and it's my 1st and the only lanauage I'm fluent in!

message 39: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments I think your English is just fine... if its not then mine isn't either as I understood everything you said...

message 40: by Cherrelle (new)

Cherrelle Smith (spoonary) And after all, understanding is the most important thing with regard to communication!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Cherrelle wrote: "And after all, understanding is the most important thing with regard to communication!"

But still a lack of confidence can spoil everything.

message 42: by Cherrelle (new)

Cherrelle Smith (spoonary) Yeah, you're right there, Kathryn. :/

message 43: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Its me... I am back.... Hope your Easter was wonderful.... Mine was... too much food but oh so worth it... i am reading The View From Penthouse B by Elinor Lipman. What are you reading at the moment?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi! That's funny, but russian mostly belongs to Orthodox church. And, if I'm not mistaken, orthodox Easter will be around the 5th of May. But I hope your celebration went good and happy. And I consider myself as a pagan.
I will read "The Catcher in the rye" by Salinger. It's a part of my university tasks. Hope to finish it tomorrow morning. And what about your progress? By the way, I never read "The view form Penthouse". Do you like it?

message 45: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Kathryn wrote: "Hi! That's funny, but russian mostly belongs to Orthodox church. And, if I'm not mistaken, orthodox Easter will be around the 5th of May. But I hope your celebration went good and happy.
And I c..."

I never knew that holiday as different over there... I learn something new every day... s it was lovely thank you..
I enjoyed the View from Penthouse B, It was a crazy light rad about two women dealing with life an a new room mate a bit crazy and fun and together they find out abut what matters most. It is sad, happy, emotional and real life... I have a book to read for school also.. kinda putting it off but I have 4 more weeks so it will be fine.

message 46: by Bri (new)

Bri (ezBrizy) | 185 comments Hi Kathryn! I haven't visited your corner yet so I thought I'd stop by...I'm sure your boyfriends situation will turn around. I lost my job a couple years back and it created a better opportunity, just stay open :)...Good luck with your studies as well!

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm afraid I don't understand as well o_o

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Ina wrote: "I'm afraid I don't understand as well o_o"
Oh, sorry...

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kathryn wrote: "Ina wrote: "I'm afraid I don't understand as well o_o"
Oh, sorry..."

not your fault! my grammer structure has never been the best in english!~~~ Anyways Hi hows it going?

message 50: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments hi Kathryn... how are you? hope all is well... just out and about and thought I would stop and see you a spell

« previous 1