Rothfussians discussion

The Archives > The Thrice-Locked Chest

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill So, we know Kvothe has a chest that he is seemingly unable to open. We also know that for whatever reason, Kvothe seems to have lost his music and his power.

At the beginning of NOTW, Abenthy teaches Kvothe how to split his mind and play the game "Seek the Stone." At one point, one part of Kvothe's mind looks for an hour before asking the other part of his mind where the stone was hidden, and it turns out it wasn't hidden at all.

Rampant speculation: Kvothe hid the knowledge of how to open the chest in his own mind, then made himself forget that he'd done that.

Why it's plausible: I think that PR has hidden quite a few Chehkov's guns in the beginning of NOTW that we, as readers, shrugged off and won't understand the significance of until book 3. I think this might be one such example.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jzone) | 79 comments I've always had the belief that Kvothe literally changed his name to Kote and this fundamentally changed who he was and he lost his music and magic because of it. At the end of WMF when Kvothe asks Elodin about why someone would change their name he starts to freak until he realizes Kvothe means to just use another name. I figure in order to not be found and to fake his death completely Kvothe has to actually change his name and these are the consequences.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Yes, that's the commonly accepted theory. I posted mine as an alternative to it.

message 4: by Chris, Master Artificer (new)

Chris (chris300) | 387 comments Mod
Good theory. Doesn't make much of a difference against the commonly accepted theory though. The end result is the same.

Servius  Heiner  | 178 comments I still maintain, Kvothe broke an oath. He made multiple oaths against his name and power between the two books. There is an arrow of time… a direction of change- Bast comments on it a couple times as well- Kvothe is slipping farther and farther away*, becoming the innkeeper more and more every day. Even if he didn’t break an oath- something happened. Something was taken from him. This also links back to the lacklass rhymes about rocks being locked in boxes. Rock are often equated with balls/ and is implied in the childish rhymes but I am thinking more along the marbles line… he lost his marbles because someone locked them away.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I always assumed Kvothe made the thrice locked cheast. There was an off comment he made to Bast about it.

*Think of it as Bergitta(sp) in Wheel of time- The longer she was outside the ‘world of dreams’ the more memories she lost, of who she really was.

message 6: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 1471 comments Mod
@Servius - I always thought he made it too, I think he does talk to Bast in a fashion that implies that, but I don't think it directly says it.

Also - I don't think Kvothe necessarily lost his music. I'm actually pretty sure there is a scene in the frame story where he sings and everything, right before he gets recognized by a traveller and fakes an injury.

I think Kvothe doesnt practice his music, and I think that scene shows exactly why he doesnt.

As for his abilities though, I agree they are at the least malfunctioning. What kind of locks did it have again?

Copper, Iron, and whats the other? Isn't it invisible or something like that?

These locks all seem to be targeted at keeping magical people and creatures out, maybe Kvothe changed his name and gave up his powers so he would be normal enough to open the box because something important is in it?

okay...random, sorry!

message 7: by Renan (last edited Apr 04, 2013 12:22PM) (new)

Renan Kiritani | 16 comments Kote locked his name in the lacklass chest, the one who had the moon name. But before that, he used the names he know to seal the chest some way, like wood, iron, etc... And now he lost his power because he lost his name. He cant open it again because he dosent know the names of wood, iron, etc.. Anymore.

This chest is really linked with the tale of the boy and the moon. In that moment he knew if he lost denna and she got hurt or even killled, he will never use his power again. He says that. And the lacklass box is the key for him, to lock his name.

message 8: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 1471 comments Mod
Yah, thats the popular theory.

*snore attack*

Which now that I'm reading it, is actually way more speculative than Bill's LOL. Man, never realized that before.

Now I kinda just want to bust up laughing maniacally.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

message 9: by Toni (new)

Toni (lunas_tic) I went to bed last night with this box on my mind and woke up with a stupid song in my head. Then I wiki the song and he is what I got:

The lyrics to the title track are commonly accepted[by whom?] as sexual innuendo. However, Hagar has presented a story with a much more philosophical bent: "It's got to do with deep sea diving, when you look for a buried treasure. The ultimate treasure would be a sunken treasure with three locks on it, because that means it was the most valuable stuff that the queen had on that ship. And you need three different guys with keys to open it, that way no one could steal it. So a 'Three Lock Box' to me is within yourself. If you unlock the treasure of your physical, and your mental and your spiritual potential - those three in balance - you are a real human being and almost godly." [1]