Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Horror > Ballet of the Bones by David Haynes

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Haynes | 148 comments New Release!

Ballet of the Bones by David Haynes

Ballet of the Bones (77p/99c)

Four short tales of Victorian terror, each bound to the other by a chilling thread.

London suffocates under the festering reek of its bursting graveyards.

Ballet of the Bones – The curtain goes up on the greatest show on earth, but is everything all it seems?

The Bone House – The grave digger reflects on his morbid life, but what does his future hold?

The Engineer – His creations are beautiful, intricate and for a discerning palate.

Encore – The director makes ready for the end of the show.

13,700 words.

It's available here : http://authl.it/4k

message 2: by David (new)

David Haynes | 148 comments Hi, I wanted to share a couple of the reviews for this book. I hope you don't mind someone blowing their own trumpet!

After reading the previous collection 'The Mask of the Macabre' (if you haven't read that yet - you should) I picked this up immediately hoping for more of the same and I wasn't disappointed. While it follows on loosely from 'Mask of the Macabre', you don't need to have read that to read 'Ballet of the Bones', but as I've already said, if you haven't you should.

'Ballet of the Bones' follows the same format of four short stories that weave in and out of each other. My favourite was the story about the grave digger, but they were all good. The setting is Victorian London and the writing matches that of the period.

This is traditional horror at its finest, a must read for horror fans.

Ballet of the bones is the second quartet of Victorian style horror stories by David Haynes. He has caught the rhythm of the formal language very nicely and has capitalised on the obsession with death, bones, decay and human frailty. It's not necessary to have read the previous book, Mask of the Macabre, but if you have done, you'll find a few pleasing links between those stories and these.

David Haynes is developing his style well and there are some resounding Victorianesque phrases here that delighted me. With 2 collections of these gruesome tales under his belt, I would like to see him tackle a longer work again. I saw a pre-publication copy of this book and I think that classic horror fans will love these stories. They are all too nastily believable.