Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Book suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5947 comments Mod
Do you have an old favorite book? Or something that you're currently reading or maybe just finished that you'd like to recommend to others? This is a place to make book suggestions for everyone.

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
I was given that book years ago (well over 10) and I still haven't read it.

I did read his other book She's Come Undone, which I thought was good but didn't live up to the hype I'd heard about it.

message 3: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments My "old" all-time favorite book is definitely To Kill a Mockingbird. My "new" all-time favorite book is Ready Player One

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I don't remember ever reading To Kill a Mockingbird, although I feel like I must have read it in high school. It is on my TBR list.

message 5: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments To Kill a Mockingbird is a great story Kristie

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I've heard a lot of people say that. It's one of my daughter's favorites. I'll definitely have to read it at some point.

message 7: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments You should definitely read it Kristie! I didn't read it in school (English schools like Shakespeare and more Shakespeare!) but I read it a couple of years ago and loved it!

message 8: by Amy (last edited Mar 18, 2013 06:34AM) (new)

Amy (amybf) Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "One of the greatest books I've ever read, a book that changed my life, is I Know This Much Is True by Wally LambI Know This Much Is Trueby Wally Lamb.

I highly recommend this book."

I second this recommendation! I've read this book 3 times--no small feat, considering that it is nearly 1,000 pages. But I've gotten something new from it each time I've read it. A fantastic read.

I would also add A Prayer for Owen Meany and The Cider House Rules, both by John Irving. They also moved me in different ways, and they are the books I always recommend when someone asks for a suggestion.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "You should definitely read it Kristie! I didn't read it in school (English schools like Shakespeare and more Shakespeare!) but I read it a couple of years ago and loved it!"

I've officially added it to my ever growing TBR list!

message 10: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments Great! I would recommend Doctor Fautus by Christopher Marlowe (sorry no link I'm on my phone). It's been a while but I loved it when I first read it!

message 11: by Anima (last edited Mar 18, 2013 08:08AM) (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Doctor Faustus here it goes, I would add another Faustus here, but this time Doctor Faustus by Mann which isclassic as well

message 12: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments Thanks Anima!! I really wish they would make it so I can do it from the app!

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
Joanne wrote: "Thanks Anima!! I really wish they would make it so I can do it from the app!"

ME TOO!!!! I asked them already and they answered: "it would be a nice feature, we are thinking about it". I guess that means : wait at least a year or two!!

message 14: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments Seriously?! They're thinking about it?! Hmmm.....so they haven't figured out how to do it?!

message 15: by Anima (last edited Mar 18, 2013 08:27AM) (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Joanne wrote: "Thanks Anima!! I really wish they would make it so I can do it from the app!"

:), I agree, it's frustrating not to be able to use GR fully without laptop or PC

message 16: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Joanne wrote: "Seriously?! They're thinking about it?! Hmmm.....so they haven't figured out how to do it?!"

hahaha, probably true :)

I'd like to recommend 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff , a truly lovely read.

message 17: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Amy, you are the 2nd person this week to recommend A Prayer for Owen Meany. I've heard very good things about this book.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) Cathie wrote: "Amy, you are the 2nd person this week to recommend A Prayer for Owen Meany. I've heard very good things about this book."

It is a powerful, incredibly moving book. It also has one of the best first lines of any book I've read--it just sucks you right into the novel:

"I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice – not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother’s death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.”

message 19: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments My close friend who has worked in the publishing industry and has read an incredible amount of books from all different genres highly recommended this book to me. And now you :-). I have moved it higher up on my TBR list.

message 20: by Fifikevin007 (new)

Fifikevin007 | 3 comments my favourite bookis angel and angel fire by LA weatherly it is amazing you guys should read it

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments Saving Cee Cee Honeycut and The Language of Flowers both just finished and they were both really great books. Also one of my all time favorites is The Poisonwood Bible.

message 22: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Hi Sarah :-). I've heard really good reviews on Saving Cee Cee Honeycut and The Poisonwood Bible; glad to know you liked them too.

message 23: by Tanya (new)

Tanya For the YA readers, I would suggest this book Slammed

message 24: by Cathie (last edited Jun 28, 2013 10:23AM) (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I was thinking of my all time favourite books and this thought came: If I could only recommend 3 books out of everything I have ever read, to anyone, which books would they be?

You know one of them from my previous posting, To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee . It's a classic.

The other two that would be included are Ready Player One Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and While The Sun Is Above Us While The Sun Is Above Us by Melanie Schnell .

Ready Player One is fun and such a good read, with so many twists, turns and nostalgia about the 80s, that I think it should be on everyone's reading list.

While the Sun Is Above Us is an amazing story of two women in Sudan and the horrors of the bloody war there. It is heartbreaking yet elegant. It is not widely known, nor an "Amazon" favourite, but if you get the chance to read this well written, thoughtfully handled book, then jump at the chance to enter it's pages.

I read a lot of books but these 3 stand out in my mind always and are the first ones I recommend to everyone.

***If someone asked you what 3 books you would recommend, what would they be? Why? ***

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) A great new Psychic thriller that just came out this month is Elements of a Broken Mind Elements of a Broken Mind (Book 1 in the Clear Angel Chronicles) by Heidi Angell

A wonderful mid-grad/ ya sci fi series my boys and I are enjoying right now is The Hampton Summit The Hampton Summit by Mike Dunbar and the sequel comes out in July!!

And the book that made me fall in love with fantasy is The Eye of the Hunter The Eye of the Hunter by Dennis L. McKiernan

I could easily add 100 more books, but those are my current top favorites ;)

message 26: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I could have added lots more too Heidi; I have many favourites, but when I thought about my all time favourite ones, my above choices stood out easily in my mind, and instantly.

I will go check out your choices. I am always interested in finding new wonderful reads :-)

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) Amen, Cathie! So many good books out there! Looking forward to adding many of these to my tbr pile!!

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Cathie - I still haven't read Ready Player One. I'll have to move it further up my TBR list. :)

message 29: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yep, I really think you'll like it. (Sorry about The Knife of Never Letting Go)

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Cathie wrote: "Yep, I really think you'll like it. (Sorry about The Knife of Never Letting Go)"

lol No worries! It still filled up my "K" read. :) It wasn't terrible, just not good. If that makes sense.

message 31: by Cathie (last edited Jun 28, 2013 02:39PM) (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yes, you didn't like it. In all fairness, I hadn't read it yet though, just heard all the hype about how good it was (suppose to be).

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I knew you hadn't read it yet. You actually gave me several "K" suggestions and that was the one I chose. It sounded very interesting, just didn't quite fit for me.

message 33: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments At least you got "K" off your alphabet challenge, lol

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Exactly! :)

message 35: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Morrison (chelsealouise07) I definitely recommend all books by Tamora Pierce. I love her books like crazy!

message 36: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
Chelsea: I added one of her books to my tbr... Thanks for the recommendation!

message 37: by Sarah (new)

message 38: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Morrison (chelsealouise07) Vanessa, no problem! Hope you enjoy!

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I really enjoyed I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb , The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh , and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

message 40: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I really enjoyed The Passage and The Twelve, horror is not at all my usual genre...in fact it's one I go out of my way to avoid! But now I want to read more. Does anyone have any suggestions?

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (readaroundtown) | 10 comments The breath series is amazing! Unforgetable! What's a good follow up?

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (readaroundtown) | 10 comments Breath series is by Rebecca Donovan btw. Also if anyone is yet to read Angelfall by Susan Ee, you are missing one of the best distop post-opoco books ever! And the second book is coming out the oct. 22! I cannot wait!

message 43: by Yessi (new)

Yessi Smith (emosewa_yessi) Joanne, I lived the twelve and the passage, one of my favorite trilogies. I'm hoping the third installment comes out soon. Have you heard of the Fifth Wave. Not exactly like the other 2 books but still a very good read

message 44: by Yessi (new)

Yessi Smith (emosewa_yessi) My of my favorite books are Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend and The Fault in our Stars. Highly recommend both

message 45: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Bel Canto was one I read quite some time ago but has stayed with me . I plan to reread this soon . The Time Traveller's wife is a favorite . A recent great read is Necessary Lies . The Snow Child is a beautiful story .

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "I really enjoyed The Passage and The Twelve, horror is not at all my usual genre...in fact it's one I go out of my way to avoid! But now I want to read more. Does anyone have any suggestions?"

If you are interested in horror, then you need to check out Stephen King. :) You could try The Shining, then Doctor Sleep. Doctor Sleep just came out this year, but it is a follow up to The Shining. He has a zillion other good ones too though.

message 47: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 5 comments Everytime I try to sort through pages and pages of books online I seem to get lost and overwhelmed lately! I'm looking for some recommendations...

Some books I've loved: Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn), Resurecting Amelia, The Stand , Green Mile and Cell (Stephen King), Hunger Games series, Summer Sisters (Judy Blume), Alex Cross series (James Patterson), True blood / sookie Stackhouse series....

Anyone who also enjoyed several of these books have any suggestions?? I know some of those books don't exactly fit in with the others :-)

message 48: by Sarah (last edited Oct 27, 2013 12:29AM) (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments My favorite reads this year are The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom , The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin , The Book Thief by Markus Zusak , The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion , A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry , The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern , And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini , and The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

message 49: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Bloomfield | 1 comments Favourites that I've read so far this year:

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1) by Guillermo del Toro

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

message 50: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Sarah ,
I loved everyone of your favorites except A Fine Balance , which I have not read . I'll have to read that one since we agree on the others!

« previous 1