The Sword and Laser discussion

The Dragonriders of Pern (Dragonriders of Pern, #1-3)
This topic is about The Dragonriders of Pern
2013 Reads > DF: April 2013 Club Pick Announced: The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Mar 19, 2013 06:55PM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6782 comments Mod
Starting a thread like this seemed to work real well last month. I didn't see the usual confusion over what the next pick would be.

The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey will be the selection for April 2013 (per the calendar)

The official word from podcast 123 looks to be: " (just Dragonflight if you don't have time for all three)"

message 2: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments So... the April pick is going to be three books?

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

David(LA,CA) wrote: "So... the April pick is going to be three books?"

I might have been updating my OP just as you were responding. I'm honestly not sure. I imagine the podcast on March 19th will clarify things.

But I found doing this sort of thread last month did a good job collecting discussion of/questions about the upcoming pick into one thread until they opened up a section for the book.

So I wanted to make a thread sooner rather than later.

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4141 comments If it is all 3, they ARE short and widely available, and not "challenging" like Downbelow Station.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

terpkristin wrote: "If it is all 3, they ARE short and widely available, and not "challenging" like Downbelow Station."

Yeah good reads puts the page count at 832 in hard cover for all 3 books.

message 6: by Magda Żmijan (new)

Magda Żmijan | 76 comments oh good, I finally have motivation to read it :D

message 7: by David(LA,CA) (last edited Mar 16, 2013 10:37AM) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments terpkristin wrote: "If it is all 3, they ARE short and widely available, and not "challenging" like Downbelow Station."

I'm not too worried about that. If we do all 3, it just means I'll have to actually read a copy, since it doesn't look like one audible credit is enough to cover the trilogy.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments 3 or 5 perhaps, because my copy of the first has a suggested order than includes two other books before the last one mentioned. Very confusing.

Candice Nunu (nunu_noodles) | 52 comments Och I won't even have to read it, I've read these books over and over since I was 10! How exciting.
Ruth you're probably referring to dragonsong and dragonsinger? They're great books, but 1-3 is sufficient. If it were me, I'd read those two anyway though, because they follow a great chick!

message 10: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Hmm - I can't find a Kindle version for this

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new)

David Sven wrote: "Hmm - I can't find a Kindle version for this"

Must be a country thing? US Amazon has it.

message 12: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments And Audible doesn't have it. I should complain about the country thing and score another credit. Except I've already put myself on 3 month Hiatus because I have more books and Credits in my account than I can listen to in 3 months

Michele | 1154 comments Maybe you can find just the first book in the series by itself? Dragonflight The US Amazon shows this available in audio version.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Candice wrote: "Ruth you're probably referring to dragonsong and dragonsinger? They're great books, but 1-3 is sufficient. If it were me, I'd read those two anyway though, because they follow a great chick! "

Any none spoilery explanation as to why they are inserted before the first trilogy ends? I'm a bit of a freak about getting the order right, so it's bothering me.

message 15: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4141 comments Ah, hadn't thought about the need to buy all 3 in audio. I already had the first, grabbed the 2nd two with this month's credits (I'm a 2 credit/month plan). Even if they "aren't" the picks, I figure I'll listen to them pretty quickly. :)

All 3 are available on Audible in the US. But they seem to have them categorized in 2 different "sections" or whatever because under 1, it says it's unavailable but on the other, all three are. Very odd.

message 16: by Michele (last edited Mar 16, 2013 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michele | 1154 comments Ruth, I have read every one of her Pern books multiple times and I really think its best to read them as they are grouped up, however they fit together chronologically. Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums (Harper Hall trilogy), are really a side story to the big main storyline of Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon.

message 17: by Phil (last edited Mar 16, 2013 02:47PM) (new)

Phil | 1140 comments The Harper Hall Trilogy are more YA than the main story so it may have been a way to get younger readers involved in the universe.
Also note that the story is technically science fiction but reads more as fantasy, if that matters to anybody.

message 18: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Michele wrote: "Maybe you can find just the first book in the series by itself? Dragonflight The US Amazon shows this available in audio version."

Tried that. Still not available.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments See, in England, it doesn't seem that they have been grouped together at all. I'll try to resist getting too hung up on it.

Michele | 1154 comments David Sven wrote: "Michele wrote: "Maybe you can find just the first book in the series by itself? Dragonflight The US Amazon shows this available in audio version."

Tried that. Still not available."

What country are you in? Just curious.

message 21: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Australia.

Michele | 1154 comments David Sven wrote: "Australia."

Don't you use the U.S. Amazon for purchases? Or don't they allow certain things there because of publishing rights?

message 23: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Michele wrote: "David Sven wrote: "Australia."

Don't you use the U.S. Amazon for purchases? Or don't they allow certain things there because of publishing rights?"

Yeah. You don't have access to all the US Amazon content from Australia.

But I've solved the problem. My Library has a digital copy

message 24: by D. H. (new)

D. H. | 100 comments David Sven wrote: "Michele wrote: "Maybe you can find just the first book in the series by itself? Dragonflight The US Amazon shows this available in audio version."

Tried that. Still not available."

I'm usually in the same boat as you, David, but this time it's available in Japan. However the user ratings on the ebook are pretty bad. According to the reviews, the Kindle edition has a lot of typographical errors. Has anyone who has the Kindle edition noticed such mistakes?

message 25: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3532 comments Mod
David Sven wrote: "Hmm - I can't find a Kindle version for this"

I was able to get the 3 individual books (Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon) for my Kindle.

They should be available to you up there in the warmer part of Oz.

message 26: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "David Sven wrote: "Hmm - I can't find a Kindle version for this"

I was able to get the 3 individual books (Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon) for my Kindle.

They should be available ..."

Thanks Tas - I see now I can buy them individually

Candice Nunu (nunu_noodles) | 52 comments Michele was right btw, I read them in the order they said and it all worked out perfectly for me.
In saying that though.. I've just checked my books and it saaaaays
'Anne McCaffreys books can be read individually or as series. However, for greatest enjoyment the following sequences are recommended:
Dragonflight, Dragonquest, Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, White Dragon, Dragon Drums' So on and so on.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (deckfullojokers) | 55 comments Exciting pick! I read these particular stories years ago, but last year I started reading the series in chronological order of the universe. A lot of fun! My library I think had a big fan donate their collection of the series because I have never failed to find a book there.

message 29: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I can get Dragonflight from my library through Overdrive. it's the only McCaffrey they have as an ebook.

message 30: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments I've definitely read one of the Pern books before when I was in my teens, but I can't remember which. Vaguely, a composer was writing songs so complicated only his wife could sing them. And there was a dragon plot line of some kind.

message 31: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments I read the first book a while ago but never got mutch further. Guess i have my excuse to try again

message 32: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
I think we'll probably only require Dragonflight, although that's Veronica's call. It will be similar to Shadow & Claw or Chronicles of Master Li in that respect.

message 33: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments Phil wrote: "Also note that the story is technically science fiction but reads more as fantasy, if that matters to anybody."

Good point.
A while back I was reading through these and started at the beginning. It was fun to see how the dragons got their start.

Jason (macshaggy) | 71 comments Very happy!! I just purchased Dragonriders of Pern. I've been wanting to read this for years!! And never did. I received a gift card for my BD and purchased this ebook for my Kindle before I came across this thread.

I'm finally reading the same book as the book club.

message 35: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Tom wrote: "I think we'll probably only require Dragonflight, although that's Veronica's call. It will be similar to Shadow & Claw or Chronicles of Master Li in that respect."

Thanks Tom. I'll update the OP.

message 36: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Even if Veronica only chooses Dragonflight, buying The Dragonriders of Pern saves you quite a bit of money. Worth spending the couple extra bucks to get the next 2 books vs paying for each separately.

message 37: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
Yeah, the three books are on Audible but you have to buy all three.

message 38: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2478 comments Jeff wrote: "Even if Veronica only chooses Dragonflight, buying The Dragonriders of Pern saves you quite a bit of money. Worth spending the couple extra bucks to get the next 2 books vs paying for each separately."

Yeah, but that's over 800 pages and some readers might balk at that. Personally I have read them all so can skip next month.

message 39: by Neil (new)

Neil (rucknrun) Very excited about this pick. I also have been wanting to read this book for years.

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burns | 4 comments Ahh! I love these books! I went back and read all the Pern books chronologically a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Will enjoy following the discussion.

message 41: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Hrrrmmm, looks like I'll finally read a Pern book after decades of avoiding them for some reason.

message 42: by Rob, Roberator (new)

The official word from podcast

looks to be: " (just Dragonflight if you don't have time for all three)"

I've updated the OP accordingly..

Jason (macshaggy) | 71 comments Question for everyone, this is my first book club ever, when do we start? I know that the podcast on this doesn't start till 4/2/13 but do we just start reading it and then discuss or is there a milestone to meet each week?

message 44: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Mar 20, 2013 05:39AM) (new)

Jason wrote: "Question for everyone, this is my first book club ever, when do we start? I know that the podcast on this doesn't start till 4/2/13 but do we just start reading it and then discuss or is there a mi..."

It's nothing so formal. Basically read it at your leisure.

We pick one book a month, ideally you start on the first of the month and finish when you finish.

It's best to finish before the next month when a new pick is started, but you don't have to.

Some people read early. Others start later in the month. It's really dependent your individual schedule.

The discussion section will be created around the first of the month, and will remain indefinitely. After the month is over it will be moved down in the order, but all the posts will remain.

Jason (macshaggy) | 71 comments Thanks

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Haha, at first I read that as the 4th of February and figured you'd made a mistake, then realised the date was American style. As a side-note, these days, I write dates like this 13年3月20日 then it's obvious what the numbers mean, but that only helps if you know Japanese (or Chinese, I'm guessing).

But that was all irrelevant. The book club is pretty loose with the rules, so feel free to start reading whenever you like. Podcasts early in the month will be spoiler-light, but later ones will discuss the book more in depth. The discussion on the forum sometimes starts a little before the month begins, but I think most people prefer to wait until the first of the month when it becomes the monthly pick. Some people find it a little off-putting if there are many threads which discuss the ending right from the beginning, so that might be something to consider, but I doubt anyone would be mad at you if you did start such a thread; plenty of people do. There is no milestone each week, so people just tend to discuss whatever they find interesting about the book whenever they think about it. It's all very free and relaxed. Oh, and use of spoiler tags is encouraged. :) Also, welcome. :D

message 47: by D. H. (new)

D. H. | 100 comments Yes, things are pretty relaxed as far as rules are concerned. The only real competition is between Rob and Becca to announce the arrival of a new podcast episode on the forum. :D

message 48: by Rob, Roberator (new)

D. H. wrote: "Yes, things are pretty relaxed as far as rules are concerned. The only real competition is between Rob and Becca to announce the arrival of a new podcast episode on the forum. :D"

I don't think she'll let me win again.
She's got the inside track anyways.

^_^

message 49: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments After reading Dragonflight I don't really want to read any other Pern books. It was pretty bad.

message 50: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 69 comments Kim wrote: "After reading Dragonflight I don't really want to read any other Pern books. It was pretty bad."

Maybe I was more forgiving because I read it back when I was a teenager. But I enjoyed almost all of the Pern novels.

I would suggest that there be should be a couple of caveats:

1) I do recall feeling that Dragonflight was geared towards a feminine audience. (The White Dragon helps to ameliorate that sense.)

2) IMHO, Dragonflight is primarily about worldbuilding and establishing Lessa's role. The real "meat" of the Pern stories comes from the later novels: Dragonsdawn, Renegades and All the Weyrs.

« previous 1