Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Larry Niven
This topic is about Larry Niven
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Suggestions > May 2013 Nominations-Larry Niven Month

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
It's time for May nominations already---and the theme will be:

Books authored by Larry Niven! Yay!

Place your nominations here. Books need not be seconded, but you are welcome to it to show support.

message 2: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

I myself am going to nominate on behalf of mark: Footfall

message 3: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
yay!

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 490 comments Maggie wrote: "I myself am going to nominate on behalf of mark: Footfall"

Thank god I don't always have to be the one to help out Mark.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 490 comments I'm going to nominate his most famous book as I did in another a group couple of years back: Ringworld. Without this book, I don't think he would have been that famous or be connect with Halo.

message 6: by mark, personal space invader (new)

Kevin wrote: "Thank god I don't always have to be the one to help out Mark."

ha! well i do appreciate your efforts, Kevin. but please never feel like you are being forced to nominate Footfall; even if it never gets to be a group read, i'll survive. and cheers!

message 7: by Kevin (last edited Mar 19, 2013 03:15PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 490 comments mark wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Thank god I don't always have to be the one to help out Mark."

ha! well i do appreciate your efforts, Kevin. but please never feel like you are being forced to nominate Footfall; eve..."

I know I not being forced.

At the end Footfall should just be a dictatorial pick as I think many people may be sick of seeing it on the nomination list every month.

message 8: by mark, personal space invader (new)

good point and that will probably eventually happen...

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 81 comments Well, with all the talk about rogue commets and budget cuts, how about Lucifers Hammer, by Niven and Jerry Pournelle?

message 10: by Shuvom (new)

Shuvom Ghose (shuvom_ghose) | 3 comments If Footfall doesn't get selected, I'd like to nominate The Mote in God's Eye.

Footfall made me love sci-fi again, and Mote kept me there. I think Mote holds up a little better today.

message 11: by Kevin (last edited Mar 22, 2013 04:36PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 490 comments Shuvom wrote: "If Footfall doesn't get selected, I'd like to nominate The Mote in God's Eye.

Footfall made me love sci-fi again, and Mote kept me there. I think Mote holds up a little better today."

The book was a club pick already back when I nominated it for a club pick last Jannuary.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

How about Flatlander by Larry Niven ?

message 13: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 97 comments I loved Dream Park. Read it years ago, and hoped to find it as an eBook, but couldn't. I suspect that disqualifies it as a group read.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 25, 2013 08:20AM) (new)

Go with his best
Ringworld

message 15: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 232 comments Going with the less obvious, how about

Oath of Fealty

another of his collaborations with Jerry Pournelle.

Has received mixed reviews by the Goodreads community, but I enjoyed it and it appears in the excellent Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels : An English-Language Selection, 1949-1984 by David Pringle, which has never let me down.

message 16: by mark, personal space invader (new)

Leonie wrote: "I loved Dream Park. Read it years ago, and hoped to find it as an eBook, but couldn't. I suspect that disqualifies it as a group read."

nope, we can still put that on the poll! availability as an ebook is preferred, but certainly not required.

message 17: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments mark wrote: "Leonie wrote: "I loved Dream Park. Read it years ago, and hoped to find it as an eBook, but couldn't. I suspect that disqualifies it as a group read."

nope, we can still put that on the poll! av..."

Ringworld is not available as a Kindle e-book. I just checked. The next in the series is, which does not make sense to me! Abebooks, however, has quite a few copies!

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 490 comments He seems to write quite a lot of books with Jerry Pournelle.

message 19: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

The poll is up! Go vote for Footfell your favorite....

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/81...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.