Goodreads All Sorts discussion

Member's Corners > Jon's silent corner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments This will be my corner for silent meditation.
You're welcome to drop by when you're in search of some peace and quiet.

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela So, in other words, everyday.

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Jon wrote: "This will be my corner for silent meditation.
You're welcome to drop by when you're in search of some peace and quiet."

Welcome Jon. You'll see me quietly sitting reading and keeping to myself every now and again if that's ok.

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Jean wrote: "
Welcome Jon. You'll see me quietly sitting reading and keeping..."

Of course, that's what this silence shrine is for.
That said, please refrain from overdramatic page-turning, growling, or any over reaction to the content being read.

message 5: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Jon wrote: "Jean wrote: "
Welcome Jon. You'll see me quietly sitting reading and keeping..."

Of course, that's what this silence shrine is for.
That said, please refrain from overdramatic page-turning, growl..."

Ok...I promise I won't read David Eddings in here as I can't help but chuckle away to myself. Only serious, thrillers etc. And I promise I won't bring a packet of crisps along either.

message 6: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Jon wrote: "This will be my corner for silent meditation.
You're welcome to drop by when you're in search of some peace and quiet."

Hey, what part of the library is this??.... *grabs a lounger, and coffee*

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments *walks around shhhhhhhhhh'ing at the guests*

message 8: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments *silently waving @ Jon*

message 9: by Dalu (new)

Dalu  | 179 comments hey Jon i came silently to say hi.

message 10: by Jack, Founder (new)

Jack (jack_) | 2831 comments Mod
Hi John, so what are you silently reading?

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Loving the peace and quiet

message 12: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Hi everyone, thanks for dropping by.

Jack wrote: "Hi John, so what are you silently reading?"

I'm currently reading eight books (shelf: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...) but at the moment I'm mostly focusing on two, Turn Coat and Graceling.

The first is the 11th book in the Dresden Files series. It's about a private investigator in modern day Chicago named Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, and he also happens to be... A wizard!
Besides his own crazy and fantastical cases, he often helps the Chicago PD solve their 'special' cases.

The second book is about a teenage girl who can kill a legion of trained soldiers with her bare hands...

message 13: by Jack, Founder (new)

Wow, 8 books! That's a lot to handle.

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Jack wrote: "Wow, 8 books! That's a lot to handle."

It's not a lot at all since they're all very different from one another, so there's no risk of mixing them up.

It's like following your favorite TV shows.

message 15: by Bri (new)

Bri (ezBrizy) | 185 comments The Dresden Files series and Graceling both sound pretty awesome...yeah kudos, I can't read more than 3 at a time.

message 16: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Finished
Graceling and Turn Coat.
Will start Beautiful Disaster for one of the group reads, and book 12 of Dresden Changes.

message 17: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Morning Jon... hope your day is nice and peaceful...sending you hugs

message 18: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Denisa wrote: "Morning Jon... hope your day is nice and peaceful...sending you hugs"

Thanks Denisa, you too.

message 19: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments ah... you are so sweet
Thank you..

message 20: by Marie (new)

Marie (fyeahmarie) | 135 comments

Don't mind me, just breaking up your silence by demanding the whereabouts of fire-breathing winged creatures

message 21: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments The last thing I want is to deny a Khaleesi her dragons!
So, I went to look for them:

DRAGONS

Now she's calm again and we have peace and quiet :)

message 22: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Well done Jon. Hope they weren't too hard to get rid of

message 23: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments I'm back.... hope all is well.. What are you reading? I just started The Warring Soul by Kristen Wells.. hoping it is inspiring...

message 24: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Welcome back Denisa,
I started two new books today. The first is Ghost Story, the 13th Dresden Files book. The second is Daughter of Smoke & Bone, for a Clean Your Shelf challenge on another group. I'm almost done with the latter and I recommend it if you don't mind some supernatural stuff.

I hope your reading is inspired and your soul doesn't war too much :)

message 25: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Finished Daughter of Smoke & Bone, next is Insurgent (finally...)

message 26: by Jack, Founder (new)

I loved Insurgent. I thought it was even better than Divergent.

message 27: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jon wrote: "Welcome back Denisa,
I started two new books today. The first is Ghost Story, the 13th Dresden Files book. The second is Daughter of Smoke & Bone, for a Clean Your Shelf challenge on another group...."

hmmmm I wrote the book down you suggested... I love all types of books super natural can be a very fab read...
finished the book and it is a great book... every highschooler or college YA should read it... before getting into party and drugs for acceptance..
Have a great weekend

message 28: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Finished Insurgent. I wouldn't say it was better, but it was a good read. Next up is Vampire Academy #1.

message 29: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Jon wrote: "The last thing I want is to deny a Khaleesi her dragons!
So, I went to look for them:

Now she's calm again and we have peace and quiet :)"

Smart man. Never good to deny ANY lady her dragons - a Rule of Thumb. ;)

message 30: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Hey, Jon. Some great reads lately; and I really liked Insurgent and have finally added the first of the Dresden Files to my TBR. How have you enjoyed the series??

message 31: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Jessa wrote: "Smart man. Never good to deny ANY lady her dragons - a Rule of Thumb. ;)"
Very good point.
Hereafter, dragons shall not be denied from their ladies. Violators will be dealt with by said ladies.

Alondra wrote: "Hey, Jon. Some great reads lately; and I really liked Insurgent and have finally added the first of the Dresden Files to my TBR. How have you enjoyed the series?? "

I'm enjoying it (on book 13 already). Dresden is a great character and the entire cast is fun and grows with you over time.
It might take a couple or so books to get into it though.

When Butcher wrote the first book, he wrote it to prove to his writing instructor that writing a formulaic novel in this genre, similar to the Anita Blake series, will be awful...

Here's the quote "When I finally got tired of arguing with her and decided to write a novel as if I was some kind of formulaic, genre writing drone, just to prove to her how awful it would be, I wrote the first book of the Dresden Files." - Jim Butcher

Today he is considered by many to be the top UF writer.

message 32: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Hi Jon... just stopping by to say hello and hoping you had a wonderful Easter and that no April Fool jokes have landed your way...

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah *sneaks in quietly, stares at group of ppl +dragons* Hello... attracted to the silence (srsly my home became extremly quiet the moment I opened the corner) hows VA #1 treating you?

message 34: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Denisa wrote: Hi Jon... just stopping by to say hello and hoping you had a wonderful Easter and that no April Fool jokes have landed your way...
Hi Denisa, we celebrated Passover and had a good time. It is always nice to have a day or two off to relax.
I have not encountered any April Fools' Day jokes.
How was your holiday?
Ina wrote:*sneaks in quietly, stares at group of ppl +dragons* Hello... attracted to the silence (srsly my home became extremly quiet the moment I opened the corner) hows VA #1 treating you?
Hi Ina, thanks for visiting. I'm glad to hear you enjoy the silence.
I enjoyed VA #1. Rose is a cool character. How did you like it? Did you read the whole series?
I will make a post soon with the books I've read recently.

message 35: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jon wrote: "Denisa wrote: Hi Jon... just stopping by to say hello and hoping you had a wonderful Easter and that no April Fool jokes have landed your way...
Hi Denisa, we celebrated Passover and had a good ti..."

yes we certainly enjoyed ours... the family, food and celebration and as you stated the extra days off... but I was so busy, needed to come back to work to rest..
Yes my 14 year old got me good... he had his teacher help and write a suspension letter for fighting at school. (he's 14) and he brought it home acted all mad and upset said he was tired of this other kid's crap and he should have the right to stop him if the school won't and now they suspended him till end of school. Then he gave me a personal note from the teacher with a date for a meeting. he was pacing around and acting really mad. Not as mad as me but... I opened the letter and the teacher wrote APIRL'S Fool... your son made me do it... okay so I admit it was funny AFTER the truth came out but he came really close to a really bad thing

message 36: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the holiday.

That prank sounds scary so I'm glad it was only a joke and you were able to laugh about it :)

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hey Jon! I did read te whole VA series and liked it for the mot part- Rose us a BAMF! I wanna re-read it though cause I read it like in 2011 an don't remember a thing!--->also thinking about reading the sequel series but kinda nervous to.

So then your I'm the first book right?

message 38: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments I'm glad to hear that, Ina. I only read the first book but I'm looking forward to book 2.

As promised, here are my recent reads (after VA):
Darkfever - really cool protagonist!
Ghost Story - One more book left in the series! (Cold Days #14)
One Foot in the Grave - Cat is great... and so is Bones ;)
Scarlet - Good all around.
Soulless - very funny, but not just
Ready Player One - Really liked this.
Lover Eternal - The story of Rhage. Can't wait for book 3 about Zsadist.

Now I need to decide what to read next. I'm thinking maybe a long book before starting The Night Circus for the buddy read with Sam on Saturday.

message 39: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jon wrote: "I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the holiday.

That prank sounds scary so I'm glad it was only a joke and you were able to laugh about it :)"

i did laugh afterwards... not at first..but.. I shall get even.

message 40: by Pink (new)

Pink Nice books Jon, I have Ready Player One on my tbr list, everyone seems to love it. I'm still hoping to fit in The Selfish Gene this month to read along with you too :)

message 41: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Denisa, get him good and then tell us about it :)

Pink, I'm looking forward to it.

For my current reads I decided to go for Name Of The Wind (epic fantasy) and the final book In the Dresden Files (Cold Days)

message 42: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jon wrote: "Denisa, get him good and then tell us about it :)

Pink, I'm looking forward to it.

For my current reads I decided to go for Name Of The Wind (epic fantasy) and the final book In the Dresden Files..."

Jon I will I'm just not sure what to do yet...except... I did buy him a Samsung tablet a new one and haven't given it to him yet I could very carefully unwrap it and remove the charger and say " oh no they didn't send the charger" and course it would be tomorrow before I would go back to Muskogee... let him wait it out a hour or so... hmmmmm

message 43: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments That sounds like a good idea. Don't say anything though

message 44: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jon wrote: "That sounds like a good idea. Don't say anything though"

okay so my intentions were to that but I couldn't make my self give him that kind of disappointment however.. I did call him into the dinning room and told him he needed to take a seat as we had some serious discussion... He came in and set down. I pulled a letter out and opened it and said "Is there anything you need to tell me?" hahahah you could tell he was thinking really hard...and was confused. Then I started this speech about how are behavior is the first thing notice and last thing they remember esp if we are out in public with our friends and our actions usually get back to our parents.. you could tell he was really trying to think what was going on... hahahah My husband brought in a med size box and set it on the table and said "do you have anything to say about this?" it had the tablet in it...hahahahah he slowly pulled the box over to him and looked over the top in it.. then cracked up smiling... he said "yea I love it! and this is payback huh?" yep it was...

message 45: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) *quietly kicks my shoes off and pads into the room*
*waves*
(this is me, whispering)

(Hi Jon. I love Dresden! Easy, exciting reads! My ex got me into them years ago and my son is now reading them. Wasn't too impressed with the TV show, however.)

message 46: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Denisa, I'm glad it turned out well after all.

Kat, thanks for visiting. It's nice to meet a fellow Dresdenite.
I only watched a couple of episodes.

message 47: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) (without looking back at your shelves) Have you read the Sword of Truth series? Love it!

If so, have you seen Legend of the Seeker?

*gag* Drivel.

message 48: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jon wrote: "Denisa, I'm glad it turned out well after all.

Kat, thanks for visiting. It's nice to meet a fellow Dresdenite.
I only watched a couple of episodes."

Thank you Jon... course I shall be on my toes next year when April Fool's day comes around

message 49: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Kat wrote: "(without looking back at your shelves) Have you read the Sword of Truth series? Love it!

If so, have you seen Legend of the Seeker?

*gag* Drivel."

I want to read that. It's been on my TBR list for a long time.

I've been wanting to watch Legend of the Seeker, too. I actually forgot it's based on the books so now I'll have to read the books first.

I see you like Game of Thrones. You should check out our discussion thread. Fancy link.

message 50: by Pink (new)

Pink Hi Jon, I just posted on another thread that I have a copy of The Selfish Gene for a buddy read, but thought I'd let you know here as well :)

Let me know when you want to start reading it....I have lots of others to read this month, but I'm sure I could squeeze it in if you want to start soon!

« previous 1 3