What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > World War II Books

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne (harpangel36) | 4 comments I am looking for book suggestions for my husband. He likes WWII stories. Non- Fiction or Fiction that have accurate information and believable plots. Any suggestions for him please?

message 2: by Feliks (last edited Mar 16, 2013 09:26AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Certainly.
The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill (non-fiction)
Fortitude by Larry Collins (fiction)
The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw (fiction)
From Here to Eternity by James Jones (fiction)
Longest Day The Classic Epic of D Day by Cornelius Ryan (non-fiction)
A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan (non-fiction)
Once There Was a War by John Steinbeck (non-fiction)
Once An Eagle by Anton Myrer (fiction)
Fighting Generals by Phil Hirsch (non-fiction)
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo by Ted W. Lawson (non-fiction)
God Is My Co-Pilot by Robert Lee Scott (non-fiction)
Bomber by Len Deighton (fiction)
Fall from Grace (fiction)
The Bridges at Toko-ri by James A. Michener (fiction)
Sayonara by James A. Michener (fiction)
The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk (fiction)
Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis (non-fiction)
The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer (fiction)

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 614 comments does he want european theatre? pacific theatre? there are many different facets of the war

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Few of my personal favourite WWII nonfiction
Pacific
Prisoners of the Japanese by Gavan Daws Kamikaze A Japanese Pilot's Own Spectacular Story of the Famous Suicide Squadrons by Yasuo Kuwahara To the Kwai-and Back War Drawings 1939-1945 by Ronald Searle Lost Souls of the River Kwai Experiences of a British Soldier on the Railway of Death by Mitch Peeke

Europe
Agent Zigzag A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal by Ben Macintyre Operation Mincemeat How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory by Ben Macintyre The Racial State Germany 1933-1945 by Michael Burleigh The Pianist by Władysław Szpilman

message 6: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne (harpangel36) | 4 comments Thanks so very much for all the good selections! Dee, I think he would like any theatre. Thanks for helping:)

message 7: by Feliks (last edited Mar 16, 2013 04:44PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Wow good stuff by Richard. How about a few more?

A Bell for Adano
Hilarious. Fiction, but based on fact. Either the Pulitzer or Nobel Prize winner for its year, I forget which.

Somber and disturbing.
Hiroshima Fiction.
Black Rain Fiction.

Patton: Ordeal and Triumph Non-fiction.
Highly-detailed for Patton fans. Non-fiction.

At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor
Such a 'standard' I forgot all about mentioning it. Non-fiction.

Same as this:
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany Non-fiction.

Red Star over China: The Classic Account of the Birth of Chinese Communism
Tells the story of what was happening in China during WWII; a story which rarely emerged. Non-fiction.

And for my money, here's the best book which details what was going on in Russia behind-the-lines:
The Rise and Fall of Stalin Non-fiction.
Its one of my favorite works ;)

message 8: by Anne (On semi-hiatus) (last edited Mar 17, 2013 01:45PM) (new)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Almost anything by Alan Furst for historical/espionage fiction.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments Herman Wouk wrote a few fictions and I think some non-fiction about WWII. I am familiar with Winds of War, and am told the others are just as good.

message 11: by Rapidio (new)

Rapidio | 7 comments Since no one else has mentioned him, I highly recommend the books by W E B Griffin. His series "The Corps" is about the Marines. Historical fiction. Also the "Honor Bound" series is about the OSS. "The Brotherhood of War" covers the US Army from prior to WW II through the early days of the Vietnem conflict. All are highly readable, interesting and well researched.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Harry | 34 comments A different view is "Hitler's Children". Each chapter is a narrative of a child of someone in Hitler's closest ally's. It is eye opening to read the children's perspective.

message 13: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Wow. Excellent input Rachel and Rapidio

message 14: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments One of the best I have ever read about WW2 is "Legion of the Damned" by Sven Hassel based on a German's soldiers true experiences.

Also Das Boot was an excellent book about submarine warfare that was made into a highly acclaimed movie and one of the most exciting I've ever seen.

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 93 comments The Winged Watchman (Living History Library) by Hilda van Stockum this is sort of a kids book

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1 comments I strongly recommend the classic Guadalcanal Diary among non-fiction and non-fiction: The Book Thief, A Thread of Grace,Cross of Iron and Bomber.

message 17: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Oh that's right. 'Das Boot' was a book before a movie.

I wasn't aware that the great flick, 'Cross of Iron' was as well??

Great tips

message 18: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments The Making of the Atomic Bomb

Best adventure story of the war, imho

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39281 comments Mod
Eye of the Needle is a good thriller.

message 21: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments A Lucky Child: A Memoir of Surviving Auschwitz as a Young Boy is a biography and is quite good
Every Man Dies Alone was written in a month or so and written by a man who was a prisoner during WWII
Whispers Series #2: From the Camps
Whispers Series #1 From the Ghettos These are short stories and incredibly powerful
I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree: A Memoir of a Schindler's List Survivor another memoir
Survivor: Auschwitz, the Death March and my Fight for Freedom another biography/memoir
The Darkest Corner of the World Is interesting because it's from a different perspective

message 22: by Rosana (new)

Rosana Suite Française

then, people struggles from the German side:

Stones from the River
Every Man Dies Alone

message 23: by Beverlyc (new)

Beverlyc Winds of War and Ware and Remembrance by Herman Wouk are wonderful. They are fiction, but feature a family whose members are involved in various aspects of the war...Pilots, submariners, politicians, trapped in Europe, etc. They interact with real people & events. Everything I fact-checked was correct. Also, Unbroken by Hildebrand...absolutely amazing true story of POW's in the Pacific.

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 25: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39281 comments Mod
The Ice Soldier.

Set in 1950 as British WWII vet thinks back on a mission high in the Italian Alps that killed 3 fellow soldiers.