52 weeks, 52 books discussion

The Aviator's Wife
This topic is about The Aviator's Wife
Week 12: The Aviator's Wife

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
This week's read, some fascinating looking historical fiction by Melanie Benjamin. Anyone read it yet?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345...

message 2: by Pam (new) - rated it 1 star

Pam I started this on 2/10 and it has not held my interest. I think that I am about 20% in and must not be in the right frame of mind for this one. It is well written and the story is compelling, however, I think that I may put this one aside for another time.

Cassy (mrsg2010) I read this book last week and I absolutely loved it! I was captivated by Anne's story and felt a connection to her. The way the author portrayed Anne's emotions throughout her life seemed poetic...I wanted to take in every word. I found all of the history in the book very interesting...it never got boring.
"The Aviator's Wife" is a wonderfully written story that has become one of my very favorite books!

Cassy wrote: "I read this book last week and I absolutely loved it! I was captivated by Anne's story and felt a connection to her. The way the author portrayed Anne's emotions throughout her life seemed poetic....."

I really enjoyed it, too, Cassy. Glad it's one of your favourites!

message 5: by Cherylanne (new)

Cherylanne | 61 comments A general question--our "tiny" town of 300,000 people, has(prettymuch)a non-functioning library system(too many budget cuts) and ONE B&N bookstore. Last night I tried to pick up this weeks book and the cashier said it was full price only. Thought most B&N current hardcovers were typically 30% off+ 10% bookcard. No mgr in store to ask. I try to shop the store because we are CONSTANTLY threatened with bookstore closure if we use online purchasing. Any one know B&N policy on new releases? thanks, xxoocf

Suzanne | 12 comments I read this book in January and loved it! It was hard though, to differentiate between the true and fictional parts of the book. Before reading it, I didn't know much about the Lindberghs, but now I want to learn more.

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 65 comments I had this one on my to-read list already, and I have started to read it - but I am also reading 'The Comfort of Lies.' So many books, so little time!

alisonwonderland wrote: "I had this one on my to-read list already, and I have started to read it - but I am also reading 'The Comfort of Lies.' So many books, so little time!"

Two great books, though!

message 9: by Berfu (last edited Mar 26, 2013 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Berfu | 19 comments Hmmm... I guess I am not with the group on this one this week. This was an interesting story and probably the only reason for which I would say that it was an "ok" read. Maybe it is due to the fact that I have not read many historical fiction books, I am now realizing how little I enjoy them. Or at least one that was written in this format. I found that this book followed far too closely to the actual events and as such lost the element of fiction that I was looking for. I don't mind if a book takes general ideas behind a known story, but this book was practically a biography. And the fact, that I knew a bit of the history of the Lindberghs beforehand took away any elements of surprise throughout. Sadly I was disappointed with this read...

Lynne (lynne_frappier) | 33 comments I think I liked this book ... I feel the same way about it as I did after I read "The Paris Wife" ... I want to learn more about the true lives of the characters, but I also disliked that Anne felt like such a weak character. Perhaps it's just me ... but I wish she had walked out on Charles when she had only Jon - and I wish that she hadn't written the pro-German piece. But all that to say ... I started the book and couldn't put it down. It was my nightly, pre-sleep obsession over the weekend. And I will recommend it to family - since my grandfather was an aviator too :0)

Lynne wrote: "I think I liked this book ... I feel the same way about it as I did after I read "The Paris Wife" ... I want to learn more about the true lives of the characters, but I also disliked that Anne felt..."

But of course she couldn't do any of those things because that's not what happened in real life, right? Limitations of historical fiction! If you can't put a book down, I call that a good read.

Kristen | 10 comments I stumbled upon Charles Lindbergh's grave when I was visiting Maui while driving on a very rough road after visiting Hana. I knew very little about the Lindbergh's at the time but was in awe of the beauty of the church and grave site overlooking the ocean. I had not thought about the grave site for a very long time. This book brought it all back to me and I really enjoyed learning about the Lindbergh Family. What an interesting history. In the Author's Note, the author writes "As a historical novelist, the most gratifying thing I hear is that the reader was inspired, after reading my work of fiction to research these remarkable people's lives further." That is exactly what I did after finishing the book, I was specifically interested in learning what happened to the Lindbergh Children. (What would we do w/o Google!).

Kristen wrote: "I stumbled upon Charles Lindbergh's grave when I was visiting Maui while driving on a very rough road after visiting Hana. I knew very little about the Lindbergh's at the time but was in awe of th..."

Agreed! I did the same thing.

message 14: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne | 3 comments I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting to learn more about the Lindberghs and to get a glimpse of the unimaginable stress of being that famous. I thought the author did a great job telling the story from Anne's perspective.

Celine (celinefrazier) I liked it but didn't love it. It was hard to remember that some parts of this story were fiction as opposed to autobiographical... Which would have made a big difference for me. There are some parts of Anne that I adored in this book... But the fact that it didn't truly come from her lost some of the appeal for me. I think the author did a great job though, I can't imagine what it must be like to write about actual people and add in the missing bits and pieces.

Anne wrote: "I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting to learn more about the Lindberghs and to get a glimpse of the unimaginable stress of being that famous. I thought the author did a great job tellin..."

Glad you enjoyed it, Anne. And yes, crazy that even back then the stress of being so famous was similar to now.

Celine wrote: "I liked it but didn't love it. It was hard to remember that some parts of this story were fiction as opposed to autobiographical... Which would have made a big difference for me. There are some par..."

Totally fair, Celine. Not every book is for every person, right? But yes, writing historical fiction = big undertaking!

Jamise (spinesvines) I was so excited to read this book but was extremely let down by the story. This book did not engage me the same way as the Paris Wife by Paula McLain. Although the great Charles Lindbergh was a historic contributor to the world, he was also a rude narcissistic control freak. He never had any regard for Anne's feelings. The very fact that he cremated their first born without Anne seeing the baby was deplorable! I was outraged when Charles pressured Anne to publicly support his advocacy for the Nazi ideals; even though she did not share his beliefs. Where was the love in this marriage? Charles viewed Anne as his co-pilot and Anne was a star-struck fan. She never spoke up for herself or her kids. Eventually she found her voice and started to live "her" life. But in my opinion it was too late, the damage was done.

The author wrote in a way that allowed the reader to really feel the sadness and hurt of Anne Marrow. You felt her pain but there were times I wanted shake Anne and smack Charles. I was annoyed that story made Anne appear clueless to Charles' disappearances and infidelities. But maybe she was...

Overall, I didn't like any of the characters; except The Guggenheims and Anne's mother.

Lynne (lynne_frappier) | 33 comments Jamise- I felt the same way about the book. I hope you pick up "Z: a novel of Zelda Fitzgerald" - I think you'll like the characters, and although they had weaknesses and made mistakes they still made me empathize with them.

Jamise (spinesvines) Lynne wrote: "Jamise- I felt the same way about the book. I hope you pick up "Z: a novel of Zelda Fitzgerald" - I think you'll like the characters, and although they had weaknesses and made mistakes they still m..."

Yes, I plan on reading Z! I'm actually looking forward to this read.

Lynne (lynne_frappier) | 33 comments Jamise wrote: "Lynne wrote: "Jamise- I felt the same way about the book. I hope you pick up "Z: a novel of Zelda Fitzgerald" - I think you'll like the characters, and although they had weaknesses and made mistake..."

can't wait to hear what you think!

Jacquelyn (jsglow) Jamise wrote: "I was so excited to read this book but was extremely let down by the story. This book did not engage me the same way as the Paris Wife by Paula McLain. Although the great Charles Lindbergh was a hi..."

I completely agree! I just finished this one. It was an interesting read & did make me want to look into the Lindbergh's lives a bit more, however, the extremely controling relationship between Anne & Charles as well as their children & Charles was difficult to swallow chapter after chapter. Was that part the fiction or history?

Daphne (daphne2163) Jacquelyn wrote: "I completely agree! I just finished this one. It was an interesting read & did make me want to look into the Lindbergh's lives a bit more, however, the extremely controling relationship between Anne & Charles as well as their children & Charles was difficult to swallow chapter after chapter. Was that part the fiction or history?
"

I finished the book last weekend and am wondering the same thing. What was fact and what was fiction. Seems like some of the information came from diaries, etc. The part about toughening up the baby during his first birthday celebration just about had me closing the book for good. I did find it interesting to learn about Charles Lindbergh and what kind of hero the man really was. Fascinating that he did not, or could not, live up to his hero status in his personal life and/or later public life. It also seems very much a sign of the times when Anne finally came into her own and developed her own life away from Lindbergh's disapproval.

Daphne wrote: "Jacquelyn wrote: "I completely agree! I just finished this one. It was an interesting read & did make me want to look into the Lindbergh's lives a bit more, however, the extremely controling relati..."

I think it's a good sign of historical fiction when it has you wondering what is real and what is fiction.

Daphne (daphne2163) Catherine wrote: "I think it's a good sign of historical fiction when it has you wondering what is real and what is fiction."

I definitely agree with that. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and I usually don't have a problem with the separation of fiction and fact. It was much harder for me with this book as I so completely disliked Charles Lindbergh and felt conflicted as I really didn't know how much was fiction and how much was fact. I would have been much more at ease with my dislike if I had been reading a biography!

Just a quick shout out for another interesting historical fiction book by Melanie Benjamin, The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb, which I read last year and enjoyed.

Daphne wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I think it's a good sign of historical fiction when it has you wondering what is real and what is fiction."

I definitely agree with that. Historical fiction is one of my favorit..."

I have not read that one yet, but I read her first book, Alice I Have Been and it was terrific (about the real Alice in Wonderland).

Carla Palmeiro (carlapalmeiro) The Aviator’s Wife is a historic novel based on the fascinating life of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindberg and goes through the main events of their lives. You can see clearly the extensive research work done by the author even thought there’s not a doubt in my mind this is mainly a work of fiction. I did not know a lot about the life of the first couple of aviation, but I became fascinated instantly by their glamorous albeit sometimes tragic life.

The Aviator’s Wife is a compelling and charming book. It’s a treaty about marriage and love, about the search for independence and individuality.

The author gave life to Anne perfectly, I felt connected to her somehow, I could see clearly who this character was and perhaps who the real Anne Lindbergh might have been, and who she wanted to be, her inner struggles and conflicts her constant search for being loved by her husband but at the same time being HER and just not the Aviator’s Wife.

Charles Lindbergh on the other hand still remained a mystery to me, what kind of person was he? Sometimes kind, most of the times cold and aloof, an enigma really, he remained a secondary character throw-out the entire book.

Overall, what sticks more in me after reading this book is the vivid picture of a woman so ahead of her time but at the same time so normal, so torn between living her life as a woman independent from her husband but so intrinsically connected to him.

Carla wrote: "The Aviator’s Wife is a historic novel based on the fascinating life of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindberg and goes through the main events of their lives. You can see clearly the extensive research ..."

Great review, Carla.

Rebecca (purplerrr) | 76 comments Well I couldn't put it down but I didn't LOVE it either just because I had such a hard time with Charles. I'm not sure what I would have done in the same situation and in the times they lived in. When I thought about this as a woman's discovery of self and how to become her true authentic self, then I found it a satisfying read. I've known jerky people in life and the power they assert over their family and so many of her reactions rang true. And yes, I do want to know more about Anne now. I may read her daughter's memoir next.

Arlene Morrell | 103 comments I found this book a hard read because I was so frustrated with Anne for putting up with Charles. I kept tossing back and forth what was real and what did the author make up in the story because it is historical fiction. I ended up liking this book and am going to pick up Anne's book Gifts from the Sea. I think it might make a good read.

message 31: by alisonwonderland (Alison) (last edited Jun 23, 2014 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 65 comments Arlene wrote: "I ended up liking this book and am going to pick up Anne's book Gifts from the Sea. I think it might make a good read."

Gift from the Sea is one of my all-time favorites! It's one of the few books that I've read multiple times. Still so timely so long after it was written!

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 65 comments As I said, Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea is one of my all-time favorite books, so I'd been looking forward to reading this historical novel about Lindbergh. Now that I've finished, I'm glad I read it, but I didn't love it.

message 33: by Jencey/ (new) - added it

Jencey/ (jencey) | 24 comments I didn't realize this was one of the book of the week selections. I read this book back in January and it was okay. I found it interesting in parts. I did not know all these facts about the family. I lost interest in some parts. I would definitely read other books by Melanie Benjamin.