Children's Books discussion

Book Talk > Who's your favourite author?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 767 comments Mod
Do you have a favourite children's author? Who is it?

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sousa | 5 comments I'd have to say C.S. Lewis will always be my favorite! I reread his books even now as an adult (especially when I'm sick at home). I found a newer author too who is technically a children's/young adult author that I love almost as much but differently -- Maggie Stiefvater. The first book I read of hers was "The Scorpio Races", but I was smitten immediately with her unique voice.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

C S Lewis is a fantastic choice!

I haven't read any of Maggie Stiefvater's work... Will have to check it out!

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sousa | 5 comments I think you'll love Maggie's work! Her dialogue and descriptions are really different -- and yet she delivers it all so smoothly. Great characterization, interesting fantasy plots that are so believable it's hard to fathom. Enjoy!

message 5: by Victoria (new)

I added "The Scorpio Races" to my to read list and will see about finding a copy soon. If I enjoy that one, I'll check out more of her work. :)

Thanks for the recommendation!

My favourites are C S Lewis, Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and Beatrix Potter.

message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sousa | 5 comments Roald Dahl! Beatrix Potter! Great choices too, of course. I recently saw an article with pictures of the studios of famous artists and authors, and one of my 2 favorite studios happened to be Dahl's! Have a great day, Victoria, and happy reading.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Awesome!

And, thanks... You too! :)

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments My favorite kids author is Mary Downing Hahn!

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Not an author I'm familiar with... Care to recommend a particular one of hers to try out first?

message 10: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Reynolds | 69 comments I really enjoyed reading books by Roald Dahl and Judy Blume. Dahl's distinct style is very enjoyable, and many can relate to the novels of Judy Blume.

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Madeline wrote: "I really enjoyed reading books by Roald Dahl and Judy Blume. Dahl's distinct style is very enjoyable, and many can relate to the novels of Judy Blume."

I love Roald Dahl too.

I've never read any Judy Bloom books though. At least, not that I remember.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Vassell | 2 comments I love CS Lewis and Mark Twain

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Good choices, Jennifer!

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen Garrett | 148 comments Norton Juster

message 15: by Victoria (new)

Jen wrote: "Norton Juster"

Not an author I'm familiar with...

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen Garrett | 148 comments Are you sure? He wrote The Phantom Tollbooth, my all time favorite. He also wrote lesser-known books, but what I really love about him is his author story. An architect by trade, he wrote children's books as a side passion. And published some new stories as a VERY seasoned citizen.

If you don't know him, read The Phantom Tollbooth. Talk about a weaver of words.

message 17: by Victoria (new)

I meant I don't really know his work. I don't remember having read anything of his before, and only recently added "The Phantom Tolebooth" to my to-read list.

Although, it's possible I've read books of his in the past and just don't remember...

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen Garrett | 148 comments No, you probably haven't read any then. Usually when I say Norton Juster, people say "Who?" and when I say "Phantom Tollbooth" they shudder because they had to read it in 5th grade. Who pays attention to authors in 5th grade, right?

But I didn't HAVE to read it, and discovered it quite organically. So I love the book... but that's a different conversation altogether.

message 19: by Victoria (new)

Ah.. Another of those where everyone in one country has read it, while the rest of us haven't even heard of it.

It's like the Baby-Sitter's Club books... I never knew what a big deal those were until recently, and it was only a couple of months ago I read one for the first time. Yet, I'm told most people my age (and some a few years older) read them as teens or pre-teens. I mean, I'd sort of heard of them before... When I was in my late teens, I think it was... A TV series for it was on briefly, but it wasn't ever a big deal over here, and I don't think I ever watched it. I only knew there were books though because when I heard about the TV series, I remember they mentioned it being based on the books.

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen Garrett | 148 comments Yeah, I've never read the Baby-Sitter's Club. So you've got one up on me! :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Jen phantom tollbooth is on of my favs as well. Have you read kill my mother yet. It's great too.

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen Garrett | 148 comments Sarah wrote: "Hey Jen phantom tollbooth is on of my favs as well. Have you read kill my mother yet. It's great too."

Going on my list right now. :)

message 23: by Victoria (new)

Jen wrote: "Yeah, I've never read the Baby-Sitter's Club. So you've got one up on me! :)"

I've read the first dozen... I really enjoyed them.

I might not have read them yet either, but we were discussing childhood favourites in another group, and some of the members were talking about how awesome they were, and I felt left out, so I brought the first couple of them to read, and since I enjoyed them, brought a few more.