Children's Books discussion

Book Talk > What's your favourite children's book?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (last edited Mar 16, 2013 05:53AM) (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 767 comments Mod
Let's talk about our favourite children's books.

Which one is your favourite?

Or do you have more than one favourite?

Share with the group!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments My favorite is The Giving Tree! I love it! It's such a sweet story. It also teaches a lesson.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

I love it when there's a lesson behind the story. Many of my own books have lessons behind them.

message 4: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie James | 2 comments Hello,

I couldn't find anywhere to introduce myself so I'll do it now, Hi I'm Ronnie.

Too this day and since I was a very small child my favourite childrens book has always been "How the Grinch stole Christmas" and I am avid Roald Dahl fan too. There's a splendid Roald Dahl museum not far from me with his old shed he used to write in.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting more of you and enjoying your company.

Regards,

Ronnie

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Welcome Ronnie!

Good call on the favourite book. I was almost an adult before I heard of "How The Grinch Stole christmas" but agree it's a great book!

Awesome about you being near the Roald Dahl Museum!

message 6: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie James | 2 comments Thanks Victoria, nice to meet you,

I think I have pictures somewhere. When I get time I'll pop them on Pinterest. It was mainly geared for children but his shed, where he wrote so much, has been carefully picked up and placed in the museum with all his writing stuff and bits and pieces. It's fascinating to see where so much of his work came from.

Now this thread has brought it back to mind though, I think I'll read the Grinch tonight!

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Things geared for children can be fun for adults too sometimes. :)

message 8: by Frederator (new)

Frederator Books (frederatorbooks) | 1 comments I loved and still love "Is your mama a llama?"

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Don't know that one...

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Bielawski (booksbeck) | 1 comments "Don't stick your finger in the jelly, Nelly" by Nick Sharratt
A great book (and good advice too!)

and from my youth: "Bad jelly the witch" by Spike Milligan

I didn't realise until now how important jelly is to me. "Jello" for our US friends.

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Yes, you do seem to have a bit of a jelly theme there!

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Loveless Jenny (saigekaylee) | 2 comments I love The Giving Tree too. It has always been my favorite. Did you know that Shel Silverstein also wrote the song A Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash?

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Loveless Jenny (saigekaylee) | 2 comments I have three kids and I know all those books. Except for the Jelly Bean one. I haven't read that one either. I'll have to check it out. Is Your mama a llama is so cute. I haven't read it in a long time, but I do remember it was one of my first daughters favorite books. I'll have to get that one again for younger one. I already have the giving tree and How the Grinch stole Christmas.

message 14: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Miranda (tanyamiranda) | 2 comments I bought the 30th anniversary edition of Where the Sidewalk Ends for my daughter and she loves it. It brought back a lot of memories from my childhood and I even remembered some of the poems. It's one of her favorite books.

As far as picture books go, I have been taken back by The Tickle Tree. http://www.amazon.com/Tickle-Tree-Mea...

The artwork and poetry mesh so well together that you feel like you are dreaming. When my daughter and I read it in the book store we both instantly loved it.

message 15: by I.L. (new)

I.L. Williams | 1 comments Dr Seuss anything!
But especially "The Cat in the Hat" and "Oh, the places you´ll go!"
I still enjoy reading the stuff -40 years later.

message 16: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 1 comments Hi Everyone! My friend Marsha Cook has a great new childrens book out called The Busy Bus. Its aimed at children 5-10. I hope you can share."The Busy Bus by Marsha Cook is an amusing collection of poems for children. The rhymes are witty and the illustrations are colorful. This is a fun book to read with your child and is sure to bring smiles and giggles especially when read out loud in a classroom, library or before bed."
http://amzn.to/1imsLj9
Thanks!

message 17: by Richelle (new)

Richelle Goodrich (richelleegoodrich) Jenny wrote: "I love The Giving Tree too. It has always been my favorite. Did you know that Shel Silverstein also wrote the song A Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash?"

Seriously? That I did not know.

message 18: by Richelle (new)

Richelle Goodrich (richelleegoodrich) My absolute favorite children's stories are still the old, traditional Grimm-Perrault-Anderson fairytales. They are creative and often odd. I also adore Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan and The Princess and the Goblin.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (justanotherplainjane) | 1 comments "The Magic Tree and Other Tales" by Marius Barbeau

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I loved the book bad kitty school daze. It is so funny. Bad kitty is super bad! But it's not really her fault the dog gets her in trouble. You need to read it.

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Some great books mentioned here!

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I love the book witchlet. It's so interesting. Try to read it one day

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) I remember being crazy about The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
And The Little Prince it's an all times favorite!

message 24: by Victoria (new)

Good choices, Sandra.

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex Hallatt (hungrydog) | 7 comments One of my favourite books as a little kid (5 or 6 years old) was Maurice Sendak's In the Night Kitchen. It was so different to any other children's book, almost being a short graphic novel. I'm sure subconsciously it influenced my cartooning career.

I loved when the character fell into the giant milk bottle. The illustrations were so good, I could almost have eaten them. I talked to my Mum about it recently and it turns out she hated the book and found it too weird!

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen Garrett | 148 comments I have many favorites. My current picture book favorite is The Book With No Pictures and my older book favorite is The Phantom Tollbooth

message 27: by Victoria (new)

*Watches my to-read list grow along with this thread*

LOL!

message 28: by Alex (new)

Alex Hallatt (hungrydog) | 7 comments Jen wrote: "I have many favorites. My current picture book favorite is The Book With No Pictures and my older book favorite is The Phantom Tollbooth"

The Book With No Pictures is so clever and I adored The Phantom Tolbooth too.

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen Garrett | 148 comments Alex wrote: "Jen wrote: "I have many favorites. My current picture book favorite is The Book With No Pictures and my older book favorite is The Phantom Tollbooth"

The Book With No ..."

Alex! After my own reading heart. :)