Purity in Death (In Death, #15) Purity in Death question

Is Eve respected?
K K Mar 16, 2013 03:43AM
When I first started reading this series, I thought Eve was going to be a badass heroine. She's really not. The men of the book, Roarke, Tibble, Whitney, and sometimes Feeney, walk all over her. It's become so frustrating to read. Roarke doesn't respect her at all, especially when it comes to her work. He goes behind her back and has secret meetings with her captain and commander. They form whole plans without her knowledge, then invite her in and tell her how it's going to be. Roarke does whatever he wants when he's consulting on her investigations. He completely undermines her authority. It's beyond ridiculous. They always end up fighting about it, and Eve usually ends up apologizing and accepting that Roarke was correct. Oh, and then they have hot sex, and all is right with the world. The fact that Roarke has to be involved in every single case has become so repetitive. I wonder how Eve solved cases before him. Oh, I know. More slowly. Roarke does everything way faster than it ever would've been done without him because he's absolutely perfect and has access to anything and everything. These books have become a complete joke. It's sad because they had so much potential. I'll probably keep reading, though. I'm a bit of a masochist.

K wrote: "When I first started reading this series, I thought Eve was going to be a badass heroine. She's really not. The men of the book, Roarke, Tibble, Whitney, and sometimes Feeney, walk all over her. It..."

Nope. Either we read completely different books or we see things very differently.

The men in Eve's life do what they feel is necessary out of love and RESPECT for her. It's not their fault that sometimes those actions have to be a bit under-handed because she can be so pig-headed. The relationship are growing and strengthening with each book. She is a strong, smart, and completely believable character and I wouldn't change a single thing about her or her relationship with the men in her life.

She is a homicide detective -- not a superhero. Getting help (even when she thinks she does not need it) from other in her life is not a weakness nor a sign of disrespect.

Hey I don't agree with that at all...This is one of my favorite series and Eve is very much respected for what she went through and what she made of herself..
And about Roarke going behind her back and hatching plans well that's because Eve gets hard headed sometimes and Roarke has to interfere to take care of her..!!! At the same time if a plan involves Roarke getting in trouble then Eve doesn't agree to that.. And that's why Roarke goes directly to Tibble and Whitney, gets them to agree to his plans and then gets Eve on board..Being a badass heroine doesn't mean always disagreeing on stuff and getting your own way.. The heroine has to make adjustments to retain the relation..
And Roarke might get things done faster but its always Eve's thinking and foresight which solve the case..
With more no of books the character are evolving I hope you will change your opinion with the further you move along in the series.. :)

I agree, Roarke has no right to do what he does behind her back. its total disrespect, no matter how much he is trying to do it for her. He believes he can do what he wants, when he wants and she gets all pissy with him then gives in and forgives him. all other men she smacks them down, but she continuely allows Roarke to walk all over her.

I love the series so far but this one thing really ruins Eve's caracter for me.

K wrote: "When I first started reading this series, I thought Eve was going to be a badass heroine. She's really not. The men of the book, Roarke, Tibble, Whitney, and sometimes Feeney, walk all over her. It..."

K, I have to say, I completely agree with you. I HATE that Roarke always butts in on her cases. He doesn't need to be an 'expert consultant' on every single case. And how every case ties back to Roarke, a building he owns, a product he makes, etc. And yet she had never met until the first book. Eve doesn't (shouldn't) need his help all the time. I'm reading the last book now and it's about money-crunching. Okay, it makes sense to ask for Roarke's help in it; it's what he's good at. The typical cases she gets? Not so much.

I'm not very much a reader of romance novels; they frustate me. J.D. Robb, I feel, has written characters like she does in her romances.

But like you, I'm a masochist! - I've kept reading and I'm now on the last book out. Thank goodness for libraries!

I initially had some trouble with Eve in the first couple of the In Death books. I thought she was at times rude, unyielding, unsympathetic, and just did not display any feminine side at all. I have now gone through 15 books and have amended by opinion of Eve. She is a softie underneath all that fluff. She is a strong woman, but when it comes to Roarke, she is mush. Yes he does get himself into her work too much. I sometimes wonder if he doesn't have his own world to conquer. This was so evident in Purity in Death. I think Eve had enough people in the Tech Dept. who would have solved the problem without Roarke. Sure, there were times when she needed his help, i.e. when she needed the sealed information unsealed, but he is becoming too involved in her cases. I totally agree with your opinion. Also, as I have said before, I think she works from home too much. That said, I love Eve much more than I did initially, and Purity is one of those books that affirms my increase liking for her. She showed so much emotional depth in this book….I loved it.