Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1)
This topic is about Persepolis
General Discussions > Persepolis getting banned in Chicago schools

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric | 12 comments What do you guys feel about what's happening right now with this drama?

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Glorioso | 111 comments Don't know about it.
What is the reason they are banning it?
Dave

message 4: by Dave (new)

Dave Glorioso | 111 comments I have not read it.
I have a son in seventh grade.
Seventh graders are all over the charts regarding physical and emotional maturity.
Thus, I appreciate their attempts to place guidelines.
Children are not mature. They are our responsibility.
Our world is diseased by it's lack of code. It's lack of morality.
The school system ultimately did the right thing by choosing junior high instead of seventh grade.

A father enraptured by fatherhood,
Dave

message 5: by Dominick (new)

Dominick (dominickgrace) | 167 comments I dunno, grade seven is, what, about 12 years old? I'm not sure Persepolis is necessarily too much for 12-year-olds, but I can't really object too strenuously to it not being allowed as a classroom study text for that age group; as Dave notes, seventh graders have a wide range of maturity levels--wider than one might think.

OTOH, there is nothing immoral about Persepolis.

message 6: by Dave (new)

Dave Glorioso | 111 comments I have not read the book.
Will comment later.

Dave

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Glorioso | 111 comments Agree with your comments Scott
To clarify my comments:
I have not read Persepolis.
My comment re lack of code and morality was in regards to our culture.
I think it is good for schools to try and set a code for what is age appropriate.
We may all disagree at what age is appropriate.

Karen Roman I dunno if I agree with you Dave. Literature should be challenging as well as enjoyable. Dumb down the literature, dumb down the child. I think schools are frequently too paranoid about the things they feel they need to "protect" children from--like Harry Potter, Tom Sawyer, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

I've read Persepolis, and I strongly disagree that there is anything about it inappropriate for 12-year-olds.

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave Glorioso | 111 comments These things are subjective
Where do you draw the line?
I appreciate any attempt to draw the line.
Our media has lowered the threshold of where to draw the line way below a point I am comfortable with.
Others may be comfortable with it.
It is a matter of opinion.
I would agree that a seventh grader could read Harry Potter and Tom Sawyer.
Yet, To Kill a Mockingbird involves rape.
Should a 10 year old discuss rape?
What about a 12 yo seventh grader not in puberty?
Thus, where do you draw the line.
I think there is a line to draw.
Others may disagree.
The same can be applied to many topics.
ie violence, drug use etc

Since this is subjective, it is almost like discussing religion and politics which is not what this forum should be.

I will rejoin the discussion after reading Persepolis.

Although my opinion re the book will be subjective.
:-)

Dave

Karen Roman Looking forward to your opinion of the book. :)

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave Glorioso | 111 comments After seeing those images, I understand why some would want the story reserved for high school students.
Only an opinion.
Dave

Mokti | 4 comments Dave wrote:
I appreciate any attempt to draw the line.

Why on EARTH would you do THAT?

message 14: by Adam (new)

Adam Gre | 12 comments Not cool at all.

No subject matter is too much for children as long as it is handled with grace. In fact, I think that often adults are way more sensitive to the ideas of death and mortality. Just look at the Lion King; for the younger folks, how old were you when you realized how dark of a tale that is? For the older folks - how often is it you run into a kid that doesn't love that movie?

My favorite book I read in middle school was by far Thirty Seconds over Tokyo. This dusty book seemed like it was almost untouched by other students, but when we had to get at least one book from the library; it was the only one that took my interest. I had it read in two days, despite it being the wordiest, smallest print book I had ever touched.

And that was a wartime survival story about a guy who's B52 went down just after the Tokyo bombing raid. I was enamored by jets and the air force for years after that. One of our cats was named by me after the F14.

message 15: by Sarah (last edited Jul 31, 2013 12:00PM) (new)

Sarah | 22 comments I have no idea if its explicit, but them not being sensitive to it is precisely the point. More exposure (by anybody any age) makes someone numb to it. That's human nature.

Just to clarify, I'm not avocating it being banned.

message 16: by Eisa (new)

Eisa Persepolis is a graphic novel about the fall of a country through the rise of a totalitarianism. The pretense that a seventh grader is too young to read a book that gives perspective to such a relevant and needed topic is foolish. The specific images are in Persepolis because they were absolutely necessary to show the daily fear of the narrator and the corruption of a system. That we think a thirteen year old is incapable of handling the gravity of the message conveyed in Persepolis is a sad notion at best.

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Aug 03, 2013 10:00PM) (new)

Sarah | 22 comments Just to clarify, I don't advocate banning the book. Not sure if that was clear.

Kevin Izworski | 75 comments I'm about half way through and see no reason to ban it, one or two F bombs so what. If they had taught this at my school I'd know a lot more about the Middle East. This is far less of a touchy topic then slavery or WWII. This is great for Language Arts/Social Studies thematic unit.