Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Archived Group Reads 2013 > March Additional Group Read- The Fairest Beauty

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 895 comments Mod
Join us as we read The Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson by Melanie Dickerson. The synopsis from Goodreads.

A daring rescue.
A difficult choice.

Sophie desperately wants to get away from her stepmother's jealousy, and believes escape is her only chance to be happy. Then a young man named Gabe arrives from Hagenheim Castle, claiming she is betrothed to his older brother, and everything twists upside down. This could be Sophie's one chance at freedom—but can she trust another person to keep her safe?

Gabe defied his parents Rose and Wilhelm by going to find Sophie, and now he believes they had a right to worry: the girl's inner and outer beauty has enchanted him. Though romance is impossible—she is his brother's future wife, and Gabe himself is betrothed to someone else—he promises himself he will see the mission through, no matter what.

When the pair flee to the Cottage of the Seven, they find help—but also find their feelings for each other have grown. Now both must not only protect each other from the dangers around them—they must also protect their hearts.

As always please remember to mark any comments that might be spoilers with **SPOILERS**. So as not to give anything away. Happy Reading!

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Lester | 3 comments Have any of you read anything by G.P. Ching? In particularly The Soulkeepers. And if so, is there bad language or sexual content?

message 3: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Have any of you read anything else by Melanie Dickerson? And if so which one,and which one is your favorite?

message 4: by Kara (new)

Kara I've read all her books which are The Healer's Apprentice and The Merchant's Daughter as well as The Fairest Beauty...GREAT question!
My favorite has been The Merchant's Daughter (which is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast), but ALL of her books are really good :)

message 5: by ChrisGA (new)

ChrisGA | 62 comments I read The Healer's Apprentice and The Merchant's Daughter also. The first is a inspired by Sleeping Beauty---sort of--the connection is pretty remote.
I liked the Merchant's Daughter best also. Both are written for Young Adult audiences. I think M's D is a little edgier.

message 6: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 3075 comments Mod
I read The Merchant's Daughter when we did it as a group read previously. I really liked it.

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah (book_reader73) | 14 comments I just saw this challenge and just bought the book for my kindle. I love books based and fairy tales and when they are Christian, it just makes them more exciting to me :) Can't wait to read this one. Looks awesome!

message 8: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Ok I just fiñished this book today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love a good retelling of a classic fairytale! So I need to ask you all-

How did you enjoy this retelling of Snow White? Did you like the characterizations of Sophie, Gabe and of course "the Seven"?

message 9: by Leah (new)

Leah (book_reader73) | 14 comments I just finished this book today. WOW! I had a hard time putting it down. What an amazing retelling of the fairytale. Will most certainly read the others in the series! Thanks for this reading challenge. Introduced me to a new author ans an amazing series.

message 10: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

I enjoy her writing as well Leah. There is just something about the retelling of fairy tales, it never gets old to me! Glad you liked it! I read the Merchant's daughter but still need to read her other one. Is it the Apprentice's daughter, I think.

message 11: by Leah (new)

Leah (book_reader73) | 14 comments Yes Cheryl, that is the title. I can't wait to finish the rest of them.

message 12: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 279 comments Cheryl wrote: "I enjoy her writing as well Leah. There is just something about the retelling of fairy tales, it never gets old to me! Glad you liked it! I read the Merchant's daughter but still need to read her o..."

The Healer's Apprentices is the prequel to the Fairest beauty so to speak.

message 13: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 279 comments I loved this retelling of snow white better than the original fairy tale.

message 14: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Did you guys have a favorite character? How about a favorite of the 7?

message 15: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I have not read this book yet but looking forward to it. I think my daughter in law is giving it to me for a birthday present next week!

message 16: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 279 comments Sophie is my favorite character

message 17: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Loraine wrote: "I have not read this book yet but looking forward to it. I think my daughter in law is giving it to me for a birthday present next week!"

I did enjoy it Loraine- and I hope you do as well.

message 18: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I just finished this last night and absolutely loved this adult rendition of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Of course, it helps that I was a primary reading teacher and always loved the fairy tales! Dickerson did a great job of fleshing out this fairy tale plus giving it a few unusual twists of her own while including a faith element as well. My favorite character was Gabe because this adventure truly made him look more closely to God and become more mature and responsible. It was nice to see both his strong side as well as his loving and compassionate side. I loved each of the 7 because they were all special in their own unique way. Great book!