Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive promotions > Absurd pricing?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 27 comments So, one thing I've noticed is some absolutely insane prices on books on Amazon. I don't know if these are all self-published or what the deal is, but the cost of some of these books just seems absolutely ridiculous. Examples.

The Apocalypse and Satan's Glory Hole! Paperback sells for $132.81 new.

The Shadow God Paperback sells for 75.12 new.

Now, I understand there is a tactic of pricing up the cost of some versions of a book to encourage the purchase of others. My question is, are there other tactics which encourage such high prices? Is this just plain greed on the part of the authors/publishers? I just don't want to think this is what people think will bring them success as writers. I want to think people are smarter than this and aren't just trying to gouge people for whatever they can.

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments Are they novels? I know that some non-fiction textbooks can be very expensive, but that seems bonkers.

message 3: by Angel (new)

Angel Lepire | 18 comments Hahaha, I have no idea what that could be about. You could buy an older version of Kindle for less than $70 & The Apocalypse... on your new Kindle for $0.99 and still come out WAY ahead of buying the paperback. And thanks for posting The Shadow God...really. Now I'm going to be up all morning reading the hilarious reviews about how awful it is. I just got home! I need sleep! ;-)

message 4: by R. (new)

R. Patrick (goodreadscomuser_richardphughes) | 5 comments Maybe it's a signed first edition. I still wouldn't pay extra money for it if it is. Seems pretty crazy.

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 45 comments Some books are out of print yet still in demand. For example Crucifix Lane by Kate Mosse is a book by a best selling author that is out of print and many people want it. The price for it is in accordance with supply and demand. For some reason, no publisher has noticed that there is a demand for this novel.

Other books are expensive because they are textbooks for advanced degrees. If students can find cheap used copies they will be fortunate, but some textbooks have few used copies available. In that case, even the used copies will be expensive.