Under The Neem Tree - Books By African Auhtors or About Africa discussion

Welcome to the group!! A word about you to introduce yourself to others

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ndeye (new)

Ndeye Sene (undertheneemtree) | 20 comments Mod
Welcome New members, please do present yourself

message 2: by Baratang (new)

Baratang | 1 comments I am Baratang, a South African born and bred woman who is married with 3 children. I juggle a family,career and post graduate studies simultaneously. However, I do make time to read material not related to my career or studies, to increase my knowledge base.

As someone who grew up under apartheid, issues affecting black people as a result of the terrible legacy of the cruel system, and the emancipation of the affected people are very close to my heart. I believe that black people will regain their confidence, dignity, social and cultural cohesion, economic and health well being, and ultimately, PEACE. It will take a lot of focus,dedication and hard work, but remembering our greatness before our lives were corrupted can assist a great deal. We were put on this planet with unique gifts and capabilities to contribute positively and co-exist with other beings peacefully.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryokekereviews) Baratang wrote: "I am Baratang, a South African born and bred woman who is married with 3 children. I juggle a family,career and post graduate studies simultaneously. However, I do make time to read material not re..."

Hi Baratang,
what a moving introduction, it baffles me to find young people who were victims of the SA Apartheid. Coming to think of it, it just ended in 1994 there around. If I lived in SA I would as well have been a victim.
I am on the side of the oppressed,And I am very confident these people will regain all they have lost during the agony.

message 4: by Ndeye (new)

Baratang wrote: "I am Baratang, a South African born and bred woman who is married with 3 children. I juggle a family,career and post graduate studies simultaneously. However, I do make time to read material not re..."

Thank you Baratang, Nice to meet you!!
It's quite impressive that you can find time to read books not related to your studies. So tell me , what's you favourite genre? Come to think of it I haven't read a lot SA books, apart from Nelson Mandela and Myriam Makeba biographies. So maybe you can recommend us author, books.
Also, I have just start blogging about my reading, here is the link: booksundertheneemtree.com
Looking froward to exchange-)

message 5: by Ndeye (new)

Mary wrote: "Baratang wrote: "I am Baratang, a South African born and bred woman who is married with 3 children. I juggle a family,career and post graduate studies simultaneously. However, I do make time to rea..."

Mary, yes I know it's quite scary. I was 9 in 1994, so yep I would have lived 9 years under apartheid rule.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Haston | 2 comments Hi, my name is Paul. I'm from England originally but now living in Canada (it's a long story!). I've always been drawn to Africa and have read a lot about the continent's history, particularly with regard to the formation of South Africa. I feel passionately about the continued suffering of minorities and women in what still is unfortunately in many places a male-dominated world. Pleased to join your group.

message 7: by Ndeye (last edited Apr 05, 2013 12:15PM) (new)

Hello Paul,
welcome to the group. Really nice to meet you.I am really looking forward to exchange with you.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryokekereviews) Paul wrote: "Hi, my name is Paul. I'm from England originally but now living in Canada (it's a long story!). I've always been drawn to Africa and have read a lot about the continent's history, particularly with..."
Welcome Paul, looking forwrad to reading your posts.
Cheers.

message 9: by Ndeye (new)

Hello Nittin, welcome to the group. I have read a few books by indian authors and i am learning hindi. Lol! So we definetely have a lot to discuss.I bought the Nelson Mandela book but I have not read it yet. Maybe you could post the references of the other book under the thread general recommendation. Have you visited the blog? tHere is the link: booksundertheneemtree.com
Thanks-)

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryokekereviews) Nitin wrote: "Hi, my name is nitin, from India. I just stumbled upon the book Long Walk to Freedom (Nelson Mandela)...and from then on...started reading about Africa...i have a friend from Indian Army who was on..."

Hello Nitin welcome to the group.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Whitaker | 1 comments Hello from Shanghai! I'm Jenny, an American woman/wife/mom living and working in Shanghai. My son is Ethiopian and I want to expand my knowledge on Ethiopia and Africa in general – want to read more from African authors.

message 12: by Ndeye (new)

Hello Cari, welcome here. Please free to share your passion for African literature in this page

message 13: by Ndeye (new)

Hello Jenny, Welcome. Happy to read you. please do share your passion with us and we will definitely recommend great authors - African, Ethiopian...

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne Kedi (labiblioafro) | 2 comments Ndeye wrote: "Welcome New members, please do present yourself"

Hello All. I'am Anne from Cameroon. I have been living in Cameroon, France and now back Cameroon where I work and live. I have always been passionate about Africa, its past, its books and on top of it its music. I decided roughly one year ago, just like you, to create a blog dedicated to litterature, africa and music from Africa. It has been a wonderful adventure since then, learning how to share with others a passion you have lived with and feeling everyday even more that you help to shape another vision for Africa.
The blog is called http://labiblioafronebrulepas.com and I had even created a related group here on Goodreads. In anyhow, I am very happy to share and participate with others under the neem three.

message 15: by Ndeye (new)

Hey Anne, great initiative. Congratulations! Welcome onboard...do share some book recommendation with us.

message 16: by Nana (new)

Nana Awere Damoah (ndamoah) | 3 comments Anne wrote: "Ndeye wrote: "Welcome New members, please do present yourself"

Hello All. I'am Anne from Cameroon. I have been living in Cameroon, France and now back Cameroon where I work and live. I have always..."

Welcome, Anne.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy J | 1 comments Hi from Broome Australia. I am South African born and recently spent some years in Kenya. I love the vibrancy and variety in African writing and look forward to learning more from this group.

message 18: by P. (new)

P. Zoro (pzoro) | 3 comments Hi

I'm P. Zoro from Zimbabwe. I write fantasy set in Africa and short story collections.

message 19: by Kennt (new)

Kennt Rics (kenntrics) | 1 comments Hello, Im Kenneth from Pune, India but Tanzanian by origin. Am a new reader as I wasn't paying much attention to books earlier. I really want know more about African authors and their work.

Under The Neem Tree - Books By African Auhtors...

unread topics | mark unread