The Emperor's Children Claire Messud

message 2: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewilk) 1. The Road Cormac McCarthy
2. Replay Ken Grimwood
3. Oryx & Crake Margaret Atwood
4. The Alienist Caleb Carr
5. Feast of Love Charles Baxter
6. The Emperor's Children Claire Messud
7. Hack: How I Stopped Worrying About What To Do with My Life and Started Driving a Yellow Cab.
8. The Glass Castle

message 3: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewilk) 9. We Were the Mulvaneys

message 4: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewilk) 9. We Were the Mulvaneys Joyce Carol Oates
10. Run Ann Patchett

message 5: by Judith (last edited Jan 30, 2008 08:39AM) (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 546 comments How did you like We Were The Mulvaney's? I was less than awed, but it was a good study of the emotional reactions of different family members to a particular kind of crisis. Unfortunately, I could not identify with any of the characters enough to care much about them as individuals. This may be a flaw in some other of Oates books that causes readers not to like her writing....but I'll have to think about that last comment some more before I'd be willing to stand by it for all time! :)

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 546 comments Kyle, I liked Mysteries of Winterthurn, Because It Is Bitter and Because It Is My Heart, and Blonde best of the books I've read by Joyce Carol Oates.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne | 18 comments The thing I like about Oates is that all her books are so different....however, this means I liked some of them a lot and some not so much. I liked We Were the Mulvaneys, Missing Mom, and The Falls quite a bit. Tatoo Girl was okay but I didn't care for I'll Take You There.

message 8: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewilk) interesting. this is an education on JCO to be sure! thx, angel, for helping explain the wide variety of opinions....i'll read 3 or 4 and report back!

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen I love JCO's short stories, be sure to check some of those out! I think she's one of the best contemporary short story writers out there. We Were the Mulvaneys was actually one of her books I liked.

I just read her latest, The Gravediggers Daughter, and it was so dark. I guess I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to read it? If that's one you pick up, let us all know what you think!

message 10: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 546 comments How did you like The Road and Carmac as an author?
I've yet to read him.

message 11: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewilk) 9. The Time Traveller's Wife
10. On Chesil Beach

message 12: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 546 comments Kyle, you really must start commenting on how you liked the books you've listed. I always want to know! Your choices are always ones on my TBR list!

I have the Time Traveler's Wife on my shelf now, and I'm after of copy of On Chesil Beach. I've read several by McEwan and like him very much. How about you?

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan | 290 comments I would put Time Traveler and Chesil at opposite ends of the spectrum. The first was great fun, and had some surprises. I was reading it on some of the dates in it, which was kind of strange. The second just seem to grind on to a bad end, and all I could say is I am glad it wasn't any longer. I know there are many adherents, but it seems to be so narrow as a book, and about people's disappointments, and giving up.