The BURIED Book Club discussion

W.M. Spackman
This topic is about W.M. Spackman
unBURIED Authors Q-T > W. M. Spackman

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments William Mode Spackman, commonly initialed qua W. M. Spackman, is BURIED like Firbank. And like Firbank, Mr Moore likes to compare other folks to Spackman; I endorse just that kind of assumed familiarity with the BURIED and UNr(d)ead ;; yes, we should know what the names Firbank and Spackman mean.

And it's really easy to learn :: .1. Dalkey Archive, The Complete Fiction of W. M. Spackman .2. Steven Moore, editor and Afterword=er, viewable largely @amazon. .3. Isn't that easy enough? -- No? -- How about six copies for US$0.01+shipping///each????

message 2: by Zadignose (new)

Zadignose | 153 comments Though magical fairies tell me that this book has 245,893 words, which is plenty for a 640 page book, it still makes me wonder how they cram 6 novels and two short stories in there.

message 3: by Rand (new)

Rand (iterate) | 99 comments Zadignose, some of the "novels" are novella length.

I purchased this volume on the basis of NR's exuberance and the Stanley Elkin seal of approval.

Upon reading a brief excerpt after completing my four dollar transaction, I began to worry that I would not enjoy reading all of the stories therein. Will be interesting to see how sexist fancy prose stylings age.

message 4: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Unremarked upon, totally unread, and BURIED essay book from Spackman :: On the decay of humanism : essays. 1967. I assume this is the same guy?

message 5: by Rand (new)

Rand (iterate) | 99 comments same dude. according to Google Books, the essays discuss the also buried Edmund Wilson.

I unloaded my copy of Spack's complete works into the aether.

message 6: by Zadignose (new)

Zadignose | 153 comments Does anyone else think that this resembles the kind of book a serial murderer would write/read/masturbate to?

An Armful of Warm Girl by William Mode Spackman An Armful of Warm Girl

message 7: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 209 comments ^ That's certainly what I was doing while reading.

message 8: by Zadignose (new)

Zadignose | 153 comments You murderer! Or... oh.

message 9: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "Unremarked upon, totally unread, and BURIED essay book from Spackman :: On the decay of humanism : essays. 1967. I assume this is the same guy?"

Now in real LIFE, unBURIED by Moore :: On The Decay Of Criticism: The Complete Essays Of W. M. Spackman. On my shelf for when I finish my Gass.