Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Random Topics/Off-Topic > Cooking and Food-Loving

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Mar 15, 2013 08:22PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9731 comments Mod
Anyone else a foodie?

I am. I love watching Food Network and Cooking Channel. I am not as much into cooking as baking, although I don't mind cooking. I'm not a creative cook. I sort of find recipes that work for me and use those. That's why I love all the food blogs out there, and there are so many good Pinterest boards chock full of yummy goodness.

I just love food in general. I really enjoy watching cooking/food shows. I even watch Iron Chef America and Chopped. Well, I enjoy most of the shows that come on.

My favorite are the baking shows. I love Cupcake Wars. It's annoying because they only show it on Sunday nights now, and I have a commitment and so I miss it.

What about others? What are the cooking/food related activities you enjoy?

Feel free to post recipes or food pictures here.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9731 comments Mod
Tonight, I'm making baked chicken drumsticks, roasted zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus and oven potatoes.

I love chicken drumsticks!

I'm thinking of making this for Easter. It's The Best Chocolate Ever from a food blog called addapinch.com.

[image error]

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 151 comments Thanks Danielle. Now I'm hungry.......

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
I like watching a few of their shows, like Chopped and Restaurant Impossible. I'm not a creative cook either. ☺ But the family eats it. Most of the time.

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments That looks great Danielle. If you make it, let us know how it was.

message 7: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ Chopped & Diners, Drive-ins and Dives are 2 of my favorite shows. My kids and I love to watch these. Everyone once in a while we catch Bitchin Kitchen which we like also. Only problem is we end up really hungry,lol

message 8: by Alisa (last edited Mar 17, 2013 05:41PM) (new)

Alisa I don't watch a lot of the shows because I'm not much of a tv person but I LOVE cooking and baking. I'm no Top Chef but I cook a lot. I have a vegetable garden and chickens (for the eggs) and I do mostly vegetarian dishes. Baking though is my most favorite thing ever. I just made mocha cafe cupcakes this weekend. While he is not dangerous my perfect guy would be Johnny Iuzzini. **sigh** now I'm going to have Johnny & cupcake dreams tonight...... :)

message 9: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ Mocha cafe cupcakes...sounds awesomely yummy!!

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments ~Melissa~ wrote: "Mocha cafe cupcakes...sounds awesomely yummy!!"

I think so too. You should post the recipe Alisa. :)

Darcy wrote: "That looks great Danielle. If you make it, let us know how it was."

Will do!

~Melissa~ wrote: "Mocha cafe cupcakes...sounds awesomely yummy!!"

I agree!

Here is the recipe for The Best Chocolate Cake Ever:

The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe {Ever}

The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe {Ever} from addapinch.com

http://addapinch.com/cooking/2013/01/...

Prep time
15 mins

Cook time
30 mins

Total time
45 mins

Chocolate Cake with decadent Chocolate Frosting that will quickly become your favorite!
Author: Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch
Cuisine: Dessert
Serves: 12

Ingredients

Chocolate Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Frosting
1½ cups butter (3 sticks)
1 cup cocoa
5 cups confectioner’s sugar
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon espresso powder

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
For the cake:
Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Frost cake with Chocolate Frosting.
For the Chocolate Frosting:
Add cocoa to a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer. Whisk through to remove any lumps.
Melt butter and pour into bowl with cocoa powder. Whisk together until well-combined.
Add sugar and milk to cocoa mixture by adding 1 cup of sugar followed by about a tablespoon of milk. After each addition has been combined, turn mixer onto a high speed for about a minute. Repeat until all sugar and milk have been added.
Add vanilla extract and espresso powder and combine well.
If frosting appears too dry, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency. If it appears to wet and does not hold its form, add more confectioner’s sugar, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Mar 18, 2013 04:06PM) (new)

Here is one for Sour Cream Chocolate Cake.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/So...

Prep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Yield: 16 Servings

1 cup baking cocoa
1 cup boiling water
1 cup butter, softened
2-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
FROSTING:
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions

Dissolve cocoa in boiling water; cool. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Add cocoa mixture and mix well.
Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.

Nutritional Analysis: 1 slice equals 692 calories, 30 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 451 mg sodium, 102 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.

Originally published as Sour Cream Chocolate Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p67

[image error]

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments That one looks good too!

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) They look good.....

Can you tell I love baking and chocolate?

:)

message 18: by Kryptonite (last edited Mar 18, 2013 04:59PM) (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments I prefer baking too though I don't do it often. And I'm like you... not food creative so I pick recipes and make it from there.

Here's one I made once and came out great:
(I'd put it's pic up except I haven't inserted an image before. Not sure how and don't have time to figure it out yet)

EASY PLUM TART
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine

Total Time: 55 min Prep: 15 min Cook: 40 min
Yield: 6-8 servings Level: Easy
Ingredients
• sheet frozen puff pastry (half of a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
• All-purpose flour, for dusting
• 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
• 3/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• 2 pounds large plums, halved and pitted
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
• 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
• Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay the pastry on a floured surface and cut in half. Sprinkle one piece with the almonds and some sugar; lay the other piece on top. Press together with a rolling pin to make a 6-by-14-inch rectangle. Score a 1-inch border with a knife. Pierce the middle with a fork and make small slits with a knife. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with water and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on a rack.
Stir 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons water and the lemon juice in a heavy pan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat just until the sugar melts. Uncover and cook, swirling the pan, until amber, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add the plums, 3 tablespoons butter and the vanilla pod and seeds. Cook over low heat, tossing, until the plums are soft and the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter and swirl to combine.
Transfer the crust to a platter. Top with the plums and half of the sauce. Serve with ice cream and the remaining sauce on the side.

That sounds yummy, Kryptonite. Thanks for the recipe!

For those who experiment with new recipes, do you follow them to the letter, or make some changes? How often do you have to try the recipe to get it right?

How serendipitous. There is a free Taste of Home cookbook on Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Taste-Fixes-Mix...

Parthenon Greek Cookbook also free on Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Parthenon-C...

message 23: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "For those who experiment with new recipes, do you follow them to the letter, or make some changes? How often do you have to try the recipe to get it right?"

I find I am a picky eater, so I modify recipes all the time. I usually look at a recipe and then see what I can change in it, mostly ingredients I don't like.

I will try a recipe 2 or 3 times, if it doesn't turn out then I give up on it.

I am also a big dumper once I have a recipe down. Meaning I don't measure, but more pour and dump things in, eyeballing the amount.

I am looking to try making these Hazelnut Coffee Cupcakes this weekend. They look good.

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2013/03...

message 24: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "How serendipitous. There is a free Taste of Home cookbook on Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Taste-Fixes-Mix..."

I used to get the Taste of Home magazine all the time, but when it was taken over by Reader's Digest I let my subscription go as it seemed to go downhill. I do have all my old magazines, I should go through a couple a month to see what I can find.

I'm more of an eyeballer, to taste cook when it comes to savory recipes. With baking, I try to follow the recipe pretty closely. But if there's an ingredient I really don't like, I will substitute.

That looks good, Darcy. Where are getting your hazelnuts. I tried to find some for a recipe and I came up empty.

message 27: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments I haven't gotten the hazelnuts yet. I went to one store today, but they didn't have them, will try another place later this week. I can let you know where I find them.

message 28: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Here's a free recipe book on cakes....

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Blowing-Ca...

Darcy wrote: "I haven't gotten the hazelnuts yet. I went to one store today, but they didn't have them, will try another place later this week. I can let you know where I find them."

Cool. I wonder if you could use Nutella in a recipe in lieu of hazelnuts???

Alisa wrote: "Here's a free recipe book on cakes....

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Blowing-Ca..."

Thanks Alisa!!!

message 31: by Alisa (new)

Alisa CAFE MOCHA CUPCAKES

3/4 cup butter
3 eggs
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa power
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup dark, bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. preheat oven to 350 and set up cupcake pans

2. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

3. In 2 cup glass measuring cup combine coffee and milk. Set aside.

4. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with a mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add in sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time until combined. Scrape sides of bowl & beat for 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time & then vanilla beating well after each addition.

5. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

6. Spoon into cupcake tins until 3/4 full. Bake about 18 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.

7. Let cool, decorate w/frosting (recipe below) and if desired dust w/cocoa powder or cinnamon.

Coffee buttercream frosting:

In a large mixing bowl beat 1/3 cup softened butter w/ an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add in 1 cup powdered sugar beating well. Beat in 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, cooled and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually beat in 3 cups additional powdered sugar. If necessary beat in additional coffee until frosting reaches speading consistency.

Have you tried to make that recipe yet, Alisa? It looks yummy!

message 33: by Alisa (new)

Alisa So I guess we will all be doing some baking this weekend....LOL

Well we need to report our results. I may even try to take a photo with my sister's digital camera.

message 35: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Cool. I wonder if you could use Nutella in a recipe in lieu of hazelnuts???"

I think it depends on how it is used. If you are already making a paste I don't know why it wouldn't work.

I do have a chocolate cookie recipe that calls for nutella to spread between 2 of them to make a cookie sandwich. I haven't tried it yet, but it intrigued me.

message 36: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Alisa wrote: "CAFE MOCHA CUPCAKES

3/4 cup butter
3 eggs
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa power
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup strong..."

I will be saving this recipe to try sometime soon! Thanks for sharing!

message 37: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Alisa wrote: "So I guess we will all be doing some baking this weekend....LOL"

I could bake every weekend, but then I am stuck with the result, which means that I end up eating it, something I don't need. lol I bring stuff to work, but it gets expensive to do and not "have" something to show.

I like baking even more than eating, so I usually have extra, Darcy.

Regarding the Nutella, I think you might have to alter how much better you add if you are making a cake or cookie with the hazelnut mixed into the batter.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) if you like chocolate, try these Triple Chocolate Guinness Brownies
http://www.macheesmo.com/2013/03/trip...

I made two different batches this weekend, one following the recipe exactly...and boy was it chocolaty and a bit bitter...good but I am more of a milk chocolate person so I reversed the quantities on the milk chocolate and dark chocolate...and added about a TBS of vanilla....very tasty....on the second batch I tried them in the mini muffin tin...the problem is the chocolate starts to harden so it is not so easy to work with....

message 40: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "if you like chocolate, try these Triple Chocolate Guinness Brownies
http://www.macheesmo.com/2013/03/trip...+..."

Those look really yummy! I like dark chocolate, so I would do that route and then use semi sweet chips. I will be making these soon!

message 41: by Alisa (last edited Mar 18, 2013 08:24PM) (new)

Alisa Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Have you tried to make that recipe yet, Alisa? It looks yummy!"

Yeah I made them this weekend. They were really good.

message 42: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "if you like chocolate, try these Triple Chocolate Guinness Brownies
http://www.macheesmo.com/2013/03/trip...

I'm going to try these soon. I recently went to a local restaurant that uses beers from a local brewery in all their dishes. Food was great & I had an Irish Cake Bomb Cupcake for dessert that they had used a guiness type beer in. Yummy.

message 43: by Alisa (new)

Alisa I have a serious Nutella addiction. I can't even keep it in the house. IMO adding Nutella to anything is a great idea.....lol

I've never tried Nutella. It sounds delicious though.

Here is a link to my Recipes I Want to Try board on Pinterest. As I said, I'm not a creative cook, so Pinterest and the food blogs have been great for finding recipes to try for everyday cooking:

http://pinterest.com/gatadelafuente/r...

Here is a great board for weeknight recipes:

http://pinterest.com/realsimple/weekn...

I'm about to make Beef Stroganoff. It's a quick, easy meal to cook, part of my small stable of go to recipes.

I don't really go strictly by a recipe. I just add ingredients until it tastes right.

What culinary adventures would you like to embark upon?

I would love to take a culinary tour around the US, going to many of the places I've seen highlighted on the Food Network and Cooking Channel. Has anyone done this yet?

I do have to be glad I did get to have beignets and gumbo when I was in New Orleans several years ago.

message 48: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
That does sound like a fun thing to do. Go across the states visiting those places. Got any particular ones you'd like to go to?

message 49: by Alisa (new)

Alisa I haven't had the chance to do the culinary travel because by the time my love of cooking developed I had kids. Some day though....... I love to watch Anthony Bourdaine's show where he travels the world trying foods, learning the culture, etc. My mini adventure this year is taking monthly classes at Cordon Blue. I would LOVE to make a career change but that's not in the cards for me so I just take one day classes. It's fun & keeps me motivated to learn new things.

message 50: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ That would be loads of fun to go across country while trying food. Maybe one summer when my kids are a little older (but not too old they don't want to be with me and hubby,lol) that could be our plan for a family vacation.

« previous 1