Beyond Reality discussion

David Weber
This topic is about David Weber
SERIES—List & Discussions > The Honor Harrington Series (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 382 comments As of this month, we're at the end of the Honor Harrington series as currently published. With that in mind...

What is your overall impression of the series... good, bad, ugly? Would you read it again or recommend it? Was it worth reading once? Were the side reads and short stories worthwhile?

Favorite scene? Character? Book?

Here's the place to discuss it all... and don't forget to speculate about what's coming next for Honor and her fellow characters!

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin Wilkerson | 27 comments oh oh oh, this is my kind of thread... I could go on and on about this but I'll just try and answer some things straight.

I love the books, I've read through most of the series twice (at the time it was only up to Ashes of Victory I believe). But I'm planning on re-reading again when the 20th anniversary edition of On Basilisk Station comes out in a couple months.

I can understand why many people get turned off by the tech speak and the lengthy battle descriptions, but I enjoy it (and it shows in my own writing).

My favorite scene? Probably Shannon Foraker's "oops" moment when they are overthrowing StateSec. Or the first battle of Manticore (again, I love the big battles).

Favorite character, either Honor herself or Nimitz. But don't think for a second that I don't appreciate the other main and side characters. Weber has created an amazing array of characters and personalities.

My favorite book is At All Costs, the big battle plut the emotional impact of everything just hit home with me.

The short stories are fun, but those are books I have only read once, but I enjoy the side-stories which as of the latest books are being woven into the main storyline.

now the big question: the future?

Lots of people are eager for the story to wrap up, and I agree it shouldn't go on for another 10 books or anything, but I do believe Weber is keeping things fresh. The alliance between England and France, excuse me... Manticore and Haven... and taking on the goliath force of the Solarian league with Mesa being all sneaky and sly (and only getting sneakier it seems). There is lots that could still happen.

I think Weber will wrap things up probably in the next 5 or 6 books. I hate to say it that long, but the latest books have been so short compared to things like Ashes of Victory or War of Honor. It may be as few as 4, although I might be able to speculate more accurately after I've finished Shadow of Freedom.

Okay, I think I'm done for now. Please don't let my long rant scare anyone else away!

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3222 comments Mod
I would recommend the series and I've enjoyed it, although some of the tech and weapons details sort of blur together for me.

I'd like to see the series wrap up in 2, at most 3, more books. Really!

I have not yet read all the Worlds of Honor short story collections. I plan to do those relatively soon. I'm not much of a fan of short stories, but some of these have added to my understanding of the main plot lines.

Favorite characters? Honor's armsmen (the original group) and the Grayson protector. Theisman and Pritchart. Honor.

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3222 comments Mod
I still think Honor's duel, back in the early books after Paul was killed, was a powerful scene. And when she and Nimitz save the Protector and his family.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin Wilkerson | 27 comments Kathi wrote: "I still think Honor's duel, back in the early books after Paul was killed, was a powerful scene. And when she and Nimitz save the Protector and his family."

I agree, both of those scenes were very powerful. Especially the scene with Nimitz when you get one of the first examples of a treecat's full fury.

message 6: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 382 comments Kathi wrote: "I still think Honor's duel, back in the early books after Paul was killed, was a powerful scene. And when she and Nimitz save the Protector and his family."

Yes, definitely. Also the scene where Mike Henke breaks the news of Paul's death to Honor, as well as when Honor learns about the treatment of the POWs by the Masadans. My view of the series has changed a bit on re-reading it but the scene where she nearly kills the Masadan commander sticks with me.

As for favorite characters, besides Honor, I'm a big fan of Honor's mother, Alison, and Andrew & Miranda Follet. Oh, and James MacGuinness! I always chuckle a little bit when Mac brings Honor her hot chocolate instead of coffee... I feel about the same way she does about the two drinks.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin Wilkerson | 27 comments Lindsey wrote: "Kathi wrote: "I still think Honor's duel, back in the early books after Paul was killed, was a powerful scene. And when she and Nimitz save the Protector and his family."

Yes, definitely. Also th..."

I too prefer a cop of hot chocolate to that nasty coffee hehe.

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Justin wrote: "Lindsey wrote: "Kathi wrote: "I still think Honor's duel, back in the early books after Paul was killed, was a powerful scene. And when she and Nimitz save the Protector and his family."

Yes, defi..."

I'm right down the middle on this one ... I prefer a mocha. :)

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin Wilkerson | 27 comments I got my copy of the 20th Anniversary On Basilisk Station Special Edition in the mail today. Now I will start my own very slow re-read of the series (Made slow by necessity as a graduate student who does his own writing in his spare time).

message 10: by David (new)

David | 5 comments I think Echoes of Honor was one of my favorites.

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 382 comments Now that I've finished the (available) series, my view of it has changed a bit. I find it simpler and less character driven than on my first & second read when I was in college. It's interesting how our perceptions of books change over time.

OTOH, I do find that it's a fun example of the Larger Than Life Hero story, which is after all what Weber intended to emulate. Sometimes it's nice to have a series where you know the good guys win in the end. I'll probably keep reading them as they are published. I'm too far in to quit now!

David, Echoes of Honor is still my favorite, too. I also enjoyed In Enemy Hands (I think of it and Echoes as a sort of duology, really) and At All Costs. I think what they all have in common is the high stakes and how personal relationships make the difference in the end.

I do hope Weber ends the series soon though. Honor Harrington as a character has run her course, IMO. She can't be rewarded by moving higher in the peerage, unless they make her the monarch, which would be far-fetched even for this series (although, I can foresee some circumstances that might make Michelle Henke an Empress...). The best Honor can do is to become the Navy Admiral that oversees the defeat of the Mesan Alignment. The one-sided tech advantage will get old soon and the ineptness of the Solarian League is already wearing on me. Also, I'd like to see an end to the repeat chapters. Hoping that since all the plotlines are caught up with each other, we can just move ahead with one series of books.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I lost interest after the book where Honor get stranded on the prison planet. This is a shame because I really loved her character development up until that point, along with all of the great strategic action and spaceship battle sequences.

I don't know if it I liked the series because Weber really lucked out on creating an awesome character, of if I liked it because Weber, apart from this particular creation, is an enjoyable author.

Does anyone have any recommendations that would rival the first few books of this series? Thanks!