Beyond Reality discussion

Shadow of Freedom (Honorverse: Saganami Island #3)
This topic is about Shadow of Freedom
SERIES—List & Discussions > Honor Harrington--Shadow of Freedom - Roll Call and First Impressions (NO SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lindsey | 390 comments This is the thread to discuss if you'll be reading Shadow of Freedom by David Weber and your initial impressions. Remember, no spoilers!

As a note, this is the latest Honorverse publication but NOT the end of the series.

Lindsey | 390 comments I downloaded it yesterday and will start as soon as I finish A Rising Thunder, hopefully after this weekend.

I'm a little confused with it already though. It's got the "shadow" title and the publisher's synopsis seems like it's a Mike Henke book, yet it's listed (by the publisher, as well as elsewhere) as the next Honor Harrington main book. Ponder...

message 3: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin Wilkerson | 27 comments I bought it last weekend and I'm about 1/3 of the way through. I will follow up Lindsey's comment by saying it isn't what I expected either.

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I am going to start it in a few days.

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3277 comments Mod
I have not started it although it will either be my next book or the one after that. I have noticed that Honor has been less center-stage in some of the more recent books.

Carl Bussema This really is a Shadow series book. I don't know why they labeled it a mainline Honor book. (Well, the pessimist in me says it's to try to bolster sales.)

message 7: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments Will probably read at some point.

Lindsey | 390 comments Finally started it last night. I'm only 20 pages in but haven't recognized a single character yet... uh oh.

Lindsey | 390 comments Carl wrote: "This really is a Shadow series book. I don't know why they labeled it a mainline Honor book. (Well, the pessimist in me says it's to try to bolster sales.)"

I'm sure the sales numbers don't hurt...

My theory at this point is that Weber is trying to pull the sideline story into the main series with this book (retcon-ing the numbers is going to be a beast...). Hence, the last 2-3 books have explicitly written dates and overlapping events (including copied-verbatim chapters and alternate POV chapters).

No doubt it's an unintended consequence of not killing off Honor at the Battle of Trafalgar Manticore... this series was originally supposed to be about a new generation of protags, including Honor's siblings and son.

message 10: by Carl (new) - rated it 2 stars

Carl Bussema If he stops the spin-off series and just writes better mainline books which include side plots involving Torch (we've effectively moved Shadow series to mainline by this point anyway), I could probably forgive him this one bad entry in the series. :) Or publish shorter side-stories in the Worlds Of Honor series as before.

message 11: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3277 comments Mod
I'm about half-way through and, while I'm enjoying it a lot, I have to agree that it seems to be a "re-integration" novel. I'm not sure the timeline has moved forward...