Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 132 comments I was just wondering, when everyone reads these stories do you ever just cast yourself as the main character? I think if an author can craft an experience that is completely immersive, I have no trouble seeing myself in the main character's skin and her journey becomes mine. Some of my favorite novels are my favorite for that exact reason. I think by seeing myself as the main character helps me become more emotionally invested in the story.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Finley (heatherfinley) | 49 comments I think most people will automatically picture themselves as the main character unless the author breaks that with too much detail. I feel like I remember talking about this in an English theory class.

I know people give Twilight a lot of flack for Bella being an empty character for female readers to picture themselves as. I've always thought that was a silly argument because I would imagine it was intentional so that reader's have that emotional response that you are talking about.

message 3: by Cara (new)

Cara Mia (Chickowits) | 196 comments I can feel empathy for the character. Even in books where the heroine isn't described much, like Rebecca, I don't see me.
@Heather, I always thought it was intentional as well in Twilight. I guess an argument could be made for whether that is or isn't simplistic or lazy.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments It depends on the main character. I often see myself as characters like Georgina from Succubus Blues. Bella from Twilight is not a character I saw myself as hence why I only read two books in the series. I agree that Bella's internal dialogue was intended for readers to view themselves as her, I just could not do it.