Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES > YA Contemporary

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments This thread is for everyone to recommend their favorite YA Contemporary

message 2: by Gisbelle (last edited Mar 15, 2013 06:42PM) (new)

message 3: by Trinity (new)

Trinity  (tsundokuproblem) I recommend The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith. It was my first contemporary book, and I really liked it! :-)

message 4: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I recommend:

Wonder by R.J. Palacio Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz Hate List by Jennifer Brown Thousand Words by Jennifer Brown Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson If He Had Been with Me by Laura Nowlin Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler On the Fence by Kasie West Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets by Evan Roskos OCD, the Dude, and Me by Lauren Roedy Vaughn Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman The Distance Between Us by Kasie West Ask the Passengers by A.S. King Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn 45 Pounds (More or Less) by K.A. Barson Hold Still by Nina LaCour The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

As you can see, I like contemporary. ;)

message 5: by Elli (new)

Elli | 2 comments I read most of these this year and loved them so much!
(Don't judge the books on their titles for the first two like I did. They're great. :)
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1) by Jenny Han Just One Day (Just One Day, #1) by Gayle Forman The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

message 6: by Emily (last edited May 14, 2014 10:01AM) (new)

message 7: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 672 comments Any books like The Distance Between Us by Kasie West or To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han ? Just light and funny!

message 8: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Here are some I think are light enough:

The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram Adorkable by Sarra Manning From What I Remember... by Stacy Kramer Just Flirt by Laura Bowers Summer on the Short Bus by Bethany Crandell Roomies by Sara Zarr The F- It List by Julie Halpern

message 9: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 672 comments Ooh I shall try them ! Some have been on my TBR for a while.. :)

message 10: by Alishafaye (new)

Alishafaye raggatt | 5 comments this is what happy looks like

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan (megandurrence) | 29 comments From Fame to Shame by Veronica Blade Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

I usually read PNR, but these are my favorites in YA contemporary.

message 13: by Shelby (last edited Jul 09, 2014 10:55AM) (new)

Shelby | 52 comments Megan, I love From Fame to Shame.

Here are some more suggestions,
The Boy Who Sneaks in my Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley Bully (Fall Away, #1) by Penelope Douglas Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles Leaving Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #1) by Simone Elkeles

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

message 15: by Gennifer (new)

Gennifer Eccles (genni_g) | 25 comments This might be a dumb question, since I have read contemporary novels, but what defines a book to be contemporary?

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 09, 2014 12:21PM) (new)

Not sure but in my personal definition:
a book that takes place in present day.(aka not 40s,50s,1500 etc etc but 2000-- till today)
and where the action is "realistic",aka no magic,no killer robots.
a "unrealistic" contemporary is the princess diaries,etc etc.not impossible but not likely.

message 17: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Genni wrote: "This might be a dumb question, since I have read contemporary novels, but what defines a book to be contemporary?"

Mostly we define them as the ones besides fantasy. So no magic, aliens, vampires and stuff like that.

message 18: by -RininTa- (new)

-RininTa- (rinz) | 1090 comments Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) by Colleen Hoover Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire .
I really enjoy read these books especially Slammed and Point of Retreat.

message 19: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I've read and loved them too (except Point of Retreat)... Anyway, Beautiful Disaster is not a YA.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Boys Don't Knit (Boys Don't Knit, #1) by T.S. Easton An English Boy in New York (Boys Don't Knit, #2) by T.S. Easton a really good series, told from a male pov, full of laughs, relatable plots and just all around enjoyable.

message 21: by Alyanna (new)

Alyanna (yanadulset) | 43 comments Read The Break-Up Artist by Philip Siegel ! It's a really fun contemporary read! One of the best.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

message 23: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak by Brian Katcher

It'll be out in a few months. Be sure to check it out. I loved it so much.

message 25: by Krista (new)

Krista | 1604 comments Elli wrote: "I read most of these this year and loved them so much!
(Don't judge the books on their titles for the first two like I did. They're great. :)
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins[bookcover:..."

I loved the Just One Day series.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I just read The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (Adrian Mole, #1) by Sue Townsend a classic(first published in the 80s) very very funny book.

message 29: by Gisbelle (new)

message 30: by Isabel (new)

Isabel (isabel_author) | 3 comments I would recommend Before Life Happened or Before I Fall, they are both very interesting reads... with a profound themes.

message 31: by Maria (new)

Maria Watts | 4 comments I would like to recommend my new book. Here are the amazon and goodreads links:
https://amzn.com/B01LYKOBBB
The Sound of Love

And this is the blurb:

It is the nineties, the decade of boy bands. Every girl is in love with the Funky Guys, the most famous boy band of them all, dominating the charts worldwide.

Nina Bains is a 16-year-old schoolgirl from Southampton. She lives the life of every teenager going to school, hanging out with her friends and fantasizing about Chris Mulligan, one of the charismatic lead singers of the Funky Guys.

Until one day by sheer coincidence Nina has the chance to get to know Chris personally. They fall in love and their two worlds collide with such a force that Nina is knocked out of her everyday life before she even realizes what is happening. As she is drawn more and more into Chris' world, she suddenly finds herself on tour with a boy band phenomenon in a whirlwind of fancy hotels, tour buses, venues, fans, groupies and music. Soon she realizes all that glitters is not gold and she has to question everything she once believed in.

Will Nina survive life on the road? Is her love for Chris worth risking everything? And above all: Does Chris even understand the meaning of love?

You can read it for free with kindle unlimited. Please feel free to contact me for any questions you might have about my story.