The Malazan Fallen discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chaz (last edited Mar 15, 2013 05:39PM) (new)

Chaz | 297 comments So. Board games. Continued from the DG ch13 thread.

Lee, what would be your top recommendation for something that is wholly strategic with no luck element?

For clarification, Settlers is a strategy/luck mixed game. Resource management and trading is strategy; only one 8 being rolled in the whole f'ing game is luck.

What I love about a game like Diplomacy is that every player has all the knowledge, the winner is who uses that best but there isn't an optimal way to play like in Noughts & Crosses or Risk (a mixed game but the best strategy is clearly to go in heavy on Australia at the start because you can make it impenetrable through Indonesia and start racking up the extra units) because you have to play your opponents and try to predict their movements.

message 2: by Juniper (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments For some reason, all this post got me to think about is how much better I want to become at chess. I discovered it last summer (!) and it was so much fun.

Also, my aunt introduced me to Go just a few weeks ago. I'd like to master that too.

message 3: by Chaz (new)

Chaz | 297 comments I love both Chess and Go but I hardly ever get to play. When I was at uni I would play Chess pretty regularly and learned Go but never got beyond being a beginner really.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh Go! I hear that's the game of all games in regards to difficulty at becoming a master.

I wish I was good at chess but I'm not strong at strategizing so many steps ahead - I'm far too impulsive and patient. Plus I have an inferiority complex about it as my brother was a teen champ and also my parents were of the generation that I was not supportive of girls being good at math and intellectual stuff.

The European games sound wonderful so of course they haven't crossed the ocean to Americans who need faster gratification,similar to Hollywood vs. foreign films. And we are getting worse and worse- the land of the stupid ugh.

message 5: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Hey Chaz,
So nearly all boardgames have some element of luck. I know what you're asking though, as I also like where the luck factor has minimal effect on the game. I have played a lot of diplomacy online, all by email. I have even played no communication diplomacy, which sounds odd, but is actually very tactic driven, you need a very good understanding of the game to play it.

Settlers drives me mad at times, I think adding the fisher expansion where you put fish tiles around the sea areas so that coastal tiles score more often makes the game much better.

I love games like Age of Steam, Puerto Rico, Goa, Command and Colors: Ancients, Agricola, Princes of Florence, Power Grid.

The only games that are wholly strategic with no luck are Chess and Go. Where as i like games with some luck, its like life, Oponn and all that. There is always some luck in what we do, so it doesn't worry me when I am drawing from a pack or rolling a dice. as long as I have options I can still make decisions that should affect the outcome. I dont like games that have a run away leader issue. Like Monopoly, a good game will have a mechanism to prevent one player getting ahead and the rest of the game is like having your teeth pulled whilst you're waiting to be eliminated or bankrupted.

@ Lori

The European games sound wonderful so of course they haven't crossed the ocean to Americans

Er, the biggest market in the world for these German strategy games is actually the US. I brought nearly all my games when I was living in the US. I was in big gaming groups in CA and GA. When I was travelling for work, i'd catch up with other gamers all over the country. Go to Boardgamegeek.com (the premier gaming site in the world) and see how many users are American.
In fact, there is even a genre called Ameritrash, which is big ass games, with loads of pieces and parts. Games like Arkham Horror, Battlestar Gallactica and Cosmic encounter. In fact Avalon Hill is (was) one of the oldest game produces around.

Enough of the lecture. Needless to say, there will be a ton of boardgamers living near you Lori. In fact I have 'gamed' up in Seattle before ;)

message 6: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

One of the other gaming options open to allow you play these euros is to play online.

http://brettspielwelt.de/

is one option.

The other is with the software Vassal. Which allows you to set up a game board and all the pieces and cards, dice etc What it doesn't do is process rules, so you need to know how to play. I sometimes play a friend Command and Colors: Ancients as the set up and break down time is quite long, so we just meet up over skype and have a quick game.

message 7: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
Lori wrote: "The European games sound wonderful so of course they haven't crossed the ocean to Americans who need faster gratification,similar to Hollywood vs. foreign films. And we are getting worse and worse- the land of the stupid ugh. "

Yeah. What Lee said on this. I'm an American and the vast majority of the games I own fall into this category. Same with a lot of my friends.

They seem pretty popular with people my age at least, and now most of them are starting to share them with their kids.

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 106 comments I love board games and grew up with a big family where we played the american board games a lot, but I could never get any of my siblings or friends into the strategic games at all.

message 9: by Lori (last edited Mar 16, 2013 03:57PM) (new)

Lori Hmmm, I guess I haven't been keeping up with the board game situation, since I don't have anyone to play with. When Jake was a kid, we loved the Ravensburger games, they were fun.

I also love card games, when I was young my brother and I played Bridge with my parents. I think my favorite game was Stratego.

message 10: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

Ha! I am going to Ravensburger this year ;)

message 11: by Chaz (new)

Chaz | 297 comments Thanks Lee, some good games for me to check out there.

message 12: by Juniper (last edited Mar 18, 2013 12:16PM) (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments OK guys... I know this is a thread about board games but since I'm ill atm I have had a lot of alone-time to fill. More solo-games than duo-games so:

I tried SimCity 4 today and yesterday. That game is addictive.

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Heh. I don't do online games. But I could see how they are the ultimate addiction!

message 14: by Juniper (last edited Mar 18, 2013 12:52PM) (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments SimCity is actually not an online game (well, not SimCity 4 at least, I think the new one is?) but it continues forever if you let it. It's hard, though!...

Lee > Is Ravenburger a city? I mean, besides a game and puzzle company.

I'm also looking for a good website to play go or chess on if anyone has recommendations. I don't know which sites are reliable...

message 15: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

I hope so, we are booked to stay there for a night :)

The worlds board gaming center is in Essen. There is a huge gaming tradeshow there each year as the game companies show off their new releases. Mecca for Gamers.

Sorry to hear you are ill Kat. Lounging about at home relaxing in an alternate world is a great way to recover :)

Ahhhh Easter and Lara Croft.

message 16: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

Played 1906 : The making of the President last night.
I was Nixon and my friend was Kennedy. My friend is from Chicago and was very much in favour of being Kennedy. Unfortunately for him, history was changed as Nixon ran out a landslide win 331 seats to 179. Kennedy actually lost MA. Which was funny.

A great area control game, very similar to Twilight Struggle, but less aggressive as the event cards are not automatically played. Great history lesson too. I didn't realise that Nixon took an arrow to the knee, skyrim style during the campaign.

Solid two player game. On the list to play again.