Goodreads All Sorts discussion

Member's Corners > J. S. Bailey's Corner of Insanity

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Greetings, fellow bookworms! My name is J. S. Bailey, not to be confused with J. S. Bach, because I neither wear a powdered wig nor play the harpsichord (though I do play the piano from time to time).

I am an author of speculative fiction. I am also a Christian, so by default my stories center around Christian themes such as the power of prayer and redemption. I am not a Bible-thumper. I like reading thrillers and horror, though I do occasionally delve into other genres. I'm about 95% certain that I have Asperger's Syndrome. I have extreme difficulty in forming and maintaining personal relationships outside of the internet. I've always had issues with social interaction, which is probably why I've always been drawn to books and writing. They provide an escape from a world that I have trouble understanding, and in a way the stories that I escape into help me understand things better. Writing also allows me to create worlds that I am able to understand. It is fun being the absolute dictator of my own imaginary universe.

My favorite authors are Ted Dekker, Dean Koontz, Erin Healy, Tosca Lee, Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe, Roald Dahl, Eric Wilson, Robert Liparulo, and Steven James. I love well-written stories that have action, great emotional impact, and unexpected plot twists. The serial killers are optional.

message 2: by Dalu (new)

Dalu  | 179 comments Hi J.S, nice corner! hope i could read something written by you in the future :) I also enjoy authors like Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe and Roald Dahl. i like that quote of yours:" It is fun being the absolute dictator of my own imaginary universe."

message 3: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Dalu wrote: "Hi J.S, nice corner! hope i could read something written by you in the future :) I also enjoy authors like Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe and Roald Dahl. i like that quote of yours:" It is fun bein..."

Thanks, Dalu! I've been in love with Poe and Dahl since I was a child; the rest I've only begun to read in more recent years.

message 4: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Hey, J.S.!! Have we met before??
:)

message 5: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Alondra wrote: "Hey, J.S.!! Have we met before??
:)"

Why, I do believe we have! :]

message 6: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller HA!

message 7: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments We just watched The Princess Bride again. That is seriously the most quotable movie ever.

message 8: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Hi JS. Nice to meet you. I'm enjoying myself here and I'm sure you will too. Enjoy your authors. Keep a journal, as I find writing keeps me grounded. Would love to be able to write, don't think I'll be good at it though.

message 9: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments I completed my first 5k race yesterday, and now I am so sore I can barely walk. I probably should have trained for it first...

message 10: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Good job JS. How did you do it without training?

message 11: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Jon wrote: "Good job JS. How did you do it without training?"

I have legs, and I can walk.

message 12: by Bri (new)

Bri (ezBrizy) | 185 comments Hi J.S., nice corner. Sounds like your stories would be interesting. I enjoy being dictator of my own imaginary universe as well but I'm not a natural writer so I just play The Sims. Congrats on your first 5k! I have one coming up soon, The Electric Run, it's all glow sticks and music so I hope it's fun. TTYL!

message 13: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Bri wrote: "Hi J.S., nice corner. Sounds like your stories would be interesting. I enjoy being dictator of my own imaginary universe as well but I'm not a natural writer so I just play The Sims. Congrats on yo..."

There were a lot of people wearing St. Patrick's Day garb. I saw some dudes in kilts. And there were a lot of people wearing tutus, but I don't know the significance of that.

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments Hey J. S! nice meeting you

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Did you wear it in the proper Scottish fashion or did you cheat Kyle?

message 16: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Proper Scottish fashion, Katherine. I'm a proud member of the Black Watch.

As I said, very drafty.:)"

When the Queen is in reign, you are allowed a errrrrrr cover. Impressed though as I wouldn't be able to do that. Am from Scots/Irish extraction, 2nd generation to be born here. The family resemblance is very strong in the family as a whole.

message 17: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Not much of a cover.:) My wife is of Irish extraction, so we make a colorful pair to say the least."

I bet. Gaelic's are known to be a bit loud. We make life interesting for those around us. My family is very fey, which can be a tad creepy sometimes.

message 18: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "My wife is very soft spoken, actually. I'm a bit loud now and then, and life is always interesting in our family."

Lol, I also speak quietly. My Dad was the loudest. We laughed a lot as a family. My Mum had Irish in her and my Dad Scots/Irish. Always believed that blood calls blood. It's happened to me too often to be a coincidence. Have you or your wife ever read Diana Gabaldon? Love her books, and it's quite romantic too.

message 19: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "My Dad is the loudest, too! I wish my family had laughed more in the past. I come from a very abusive household.

However, through years of therapy, all that is behind me now. I get along great w..."

Sorry to hear that. I had a fantastic childhood, it was my Dad's family that was the problem. After my Dad died I realised I didn't have to speak to them anymore.....so I haven't. Hee hee. I know, I'm naughty.

She writes about Claire Fraiser, and her love for her husband Jaimie Frasier. She goes through the stones and goes back about 200 years. And everything that happens then. It is a wonderful story, lots of history, romance, drama, mystery, intrigue....an all rounder. It is so funny in places. I read it as Cross Stitch, but I see it's also called Outlander. It is a series, and one of my guy friends couldn't put it down. So it can't be that bad.

message 20: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments I'm mostly of German and Irish descent, which probably explains my perpetual foul mood. (That, or the fact that I work retail.) My family has never been very close-knit or affectionate, so I found it unusual when I met my husband's family and found that they actually get together all the time, even for birthdays and things.

message 21: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller J.S. wrote: "I completed my first 5k race yesterday, and now I am so sore I can barely walk. I probably should have trained for it first..."

Congrats!! :D

message 22: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments I'm not very loud and I'm original irish :)

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments J.S. my mum had 7 sisters and one brother. All alive except aunty Eileen. We have a reunion every 3/4 years of the Barrett clan. Last one was 2 years ago. Out of a potential 107 of us there was 96 of us there. The youngest was only 10 days and the oldest my mum was 79.

message 24: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments One side of my family had a huge reunion back in 2011. The reunion was in Ohio (where I live) but there were people from Indiana, New Jersey, Florida, Georgia, Alaska, and Massachusetts there. I don't know why that part of the family became so spread out, but it was neat getting to meet everyone.

message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Most of us live in Ireland, but some are spread about across the world. My sister lives in Milwaukee with hers husband and 2 kids, my brother used to live in India and married there, but now lives in Switzerland and expecting their first baby and my other sister lives in London. Next reunion is growing already.

message 26: by Jack, Founder (new)

Jack (jack_) | 2831 comments Mod
Yes, most of my family is in Ireland, but there's relatives in the USA, Singapore and London.

message 27: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments <------------ waving at J.S. just thought I would come by and visit and see how you were doing... I love what you have done to the place. I also like Dean Koontz... Nice meeting you

message 28: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Denisa wrote: "<------------ waving at J.S. just thought I would come by and visit and see how you were doing... I love what you have done to the place. I also like Dean Koontz... Nice meeting you"

Dean Koontz is my most-read author. He used to be my favorite author, but that was before I discovered Dekker. I later found out that Koontz is one of Dekker's favorite authors, which I thought was kind of cool.

message 29: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments It is snowing again, and I still have a cold. My birthday is on Thursday so I'm hoping that the weather (and my sinuses) clears up by then. :)

message 30: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments J.S. wrote: "Denisa wrote: "

Dean Koontz is my most-read author. He used to be my favorite author, but that was before I discovered Dekker. I later found out that Koontz is one of Dekker's favorite authors, wh..."

hmm maybe I should check out Dekker too... Can you give me a name of one of his books you really liked the best for my first book to read?

message 31: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments J.S. wrote: "It is snowing again, and I still have a cold. My birthday is on Thursday so I'm hoping that the weather (and my sinuses) clears up by then. :)"

I sure hope you get to feeling better... Happy birthday early... i am so ready for snow and winter to go to sleep for a little while..

message 32: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Denisa wrote: "J.S. wrote: "Denisa wrote: "

Dean Koontz is my most-read author. He used to be my favorite author, but that was before I discovered Dekker. I later found out that Koontz is one of Dekker's favorit..."

Well...if you like books that are ultra-disturbing, you might want to start with The Priest's Graveyard. If you like books that make your head spin, try Thr3e; and if you're into the supernatural, try Adam.

message 33: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Denisa wrote: "J.S. wrote: "It is snowing again, and I still have a cold. My birthday is on Thursday so I'm hoping that the weather (and my sinuses) clears up by then. :)"

I sure hope you get to feeling better....."

Thanks, and Amen! Going at this rate, we won't be seeing the sun again until July. [sniffles]

message 34: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments J.S. wrote: "Denisa wrote: "J.S. wrote: "Denisa wrote: "

Dean Koontz is my most-read author. He used to be my favorite author, but that was before I discovered Dekker. I later found out that Koontz is one of D..."

oh wow... thank you so much.... I have wrote these down..

message 35: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments J.S. wrote: "Denisa wrote: "J.S. wrote: "It is snowing again, and I still have a cold. My birthday is on Thursday so I'm hoping that the weather (and my sinuses) clears up by then. :)"

I sure hope you get to f..."

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

message 36: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller J.S. wrote: "Dean Koontz is my most-read author. He used to be my favorite author, but that was before I discovered Dekker. I later found out that Koontz is one of Dekker's favorite authors, which I thought was kind of cool.."

I started off with Stephen King, who recommended Dean Koontz, who then recommended Patricia Cornwell or was it John Sandford??? From there I got here; and it was a very long journey... :D

message 37: by Amy S (new)

Amy S (amys_r) | 33 comments Ted Dekker and Dean Koontz are my most read authors, but I've been broadening my horizon and will read most anything fiction.

message 38: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments I'm on a Tolkien kick right now.

message 39: by Amy S (new)

Amy S (amys_r) | 33 comments I gotta try Tolkien

message 40: by Cherrelle (new)

Cherrelle Smith (spoonary) Amy S wrote: "I gotta try Tolkien"

Same here!

message 41: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Today is my birthday. I have reached the ripe old age of 24.

message 42: by Ratz (new)

Ratz | 690 comments J.S. wrote: "Today is my birthday. I have reached the ripe old age of 24."

Happy 24th birthday then! :)

message 43: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Ratz wrote: "J.S. wrote: "Today is my birthday. I have reached the ripe old age of 24."

Happy 24th birthday then! :)"

Thank you!

message 44: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments J.S. wrote: "Today is my birthday. I have reached the ripe old age of 24."

wohoooooooooooooooooooooo happy birthday!!!!!

message 45: by Sophia (new)

message 46: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 92 comments Thanks, everyone!

message 47: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Happy birthday J.S.

message 48: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Happy birthday j.s. hope you have a great day

message 49: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller wow, it is your birthday?! What!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

message 50: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

« previous 1 3 4