Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > National Book Week in Holland

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments From Saturday March 16 to Friday March 22, 2013 the annual book week is being observed in Holland. With all the changes in media and communication book stores have been closing their doors. This unfortunate fact has nothing to do with literature as a whole but more to the advances in on-line shopping and the increasing popularity of E-books. It pleases me that at least in that small country under sea level books (and the authors that create them) are recognized and coveted in this yearly event. Long live the written word!

message 2: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 125 comments Hi Thom, What an excellent idea to have a special week set aside to promote books across your country! we are losing smaller, independent book stores here in Ontario, too. We have big box stores called Indigo/Chapters, which are ok, but they don' t stock earlier entries In a series. I recently received an IPad Asa birthday gift from my husband, so have joyously entered into the digital world of ebooks, but I must say that I like the heft of a book in my hand-not to mention the joy of seeing lines of books on my shelves. For me, finding and obtaining, is half the fun! I do feel somewhat guilty buying ebooks, but I suppose it will balance out over time. I do like the fact that my IPad has colour, so I can enjoy the art of a book' s cover.

On another topic, I guess I should add my recent book purchases to the Book Buying Addicts' group. I haven't done anything with this group yet-any advice or pointers?

hope spring is just around the corner for you. it is still cold here, and more snow is supposed to arrive on Tues. We are avid gardeners, so we're looking forward to being able to start scratching around outside. all the best to you! Laurel

message 3: by Melody (new)

Melody Hi Laurel, Here in Quebec it's bad too. I miss cruising the bookstores in Montreal.

I don't like e-books myself. Not quite able to get comfortable with it. For me too, I need that heft in my hand and the electronic word seems so temporary.

In the fall we have a few book fairs/expos but a week event devoted to the written word would be fantastic.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments I think that is so cool! I wish we had a National Book Week!

We recently had one of our book stores close, Hastings. They were books/music/movies and they had a nice mix of used and new. I miss the smaller book stores as it was a lot of fun looking for fun finds or finding that one book that you've been trying to find forever!

Hopefully, we don't lose all of our book stores to ebooks. I buy ebooks when I can't find what I'm looking for in actual book but I prefer books.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments Heyyyyy, Boekenweek takes place in the WHOLE country, not just Holland! ;)

(yeah, I'm a nitpicker. And whilst I live in Holland now, for a long time I didn't)

Some of the awesome things about Boekenweek is that a) if you spend more than €12.50 on Dutch-language books, you get another short story free, and b) this coming Sunday that book can get you free train travel in the entire country.

There is such a poverty of good chain bookstores in NL these days. They seem to get swallowed up and then watered down until barely recogniseable. I found an awesome little 2nd hand place in Deventer a few weeks back, but literally just came across it, unexpectedly. E-readers and such have their place, but proper books will (hopefully) never die!

message 6: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Sorry, it is my mistake…. I should have headed this Book Week in the Netherlands and then even local nitpickers couldn’t find fault. I live in Gelderland but still think Holland is an acceptable word (worldwide) to call this flat piece of the world that we call home… The Netherlands.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments I lived even further away from Holland (or at least the Randstad) and saying that was 'Holland' got you dirty looks.

Besides, that something might be 'acceptable' to the world at large doesn't necessarily make it either 'accurate' nor 'right' :)