In Defense of Food / Vegetarian / Vegan discussion

In Defense of Food

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doug (new)

Doug | 17 comments Mod
folks,

Michael Pollan has come out with his next book,"In Defense of food". My daughter, Hannah, received it for Christmas. Once she has read it, I will be reading it. It is a good bit shorter than Omnivore's Dilemma.

So...I set up this topic for discussing "In Defense of Food".

Doug

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks Doug. I have it on my to-read list, but I suspect I won't get to it in the near futurue. But, I'd like to hear what people have to say about it.

message 3: by Doug (new)

Doug | 17 comments Mod
Lisa,

I will probably get to it in the next month or so. I also would love to hear what others think of this or Omnivore's Dilemma. Doug

message 4: by Doug (new)

Doug | 17 comments Mod
Folks,

I highly recommend "In Defense of Food". Pollan makes several important points in this book. Also, it doesn't feel like a justification of meat eating as the Omnivore's Dilemma seemed to me.

I really appreciate his point of eating locally. Also, as in Omnivore's dilemma he makes the valid point that we must be careful when buying organic. Yes, it is better than non-organic food, but many of the eggs and diary products are produced by Conglomerates in much the same way that non-organic producers (think Horizon as an example of this) - the only real difference is the use of organic feed for the chickens and cows - but the close quarters, not getting outside, etc. that we see with non-organic producers exist here as well.

Has anyone else had the chance to read this book?
:)Doug

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Doug, Thanks for posting about this book. It is on my list, but far down the list. But your comments bumped it up quite a few spaces.

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug | 17 comments Mod
Lisa,

I am glad to hear it. It is a good bit shorter than "Omnivore's Dilemma" - which means he is quicker to make his points, without alot of extraneous justifications of meat eating. :)doug

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Ah, and in my latest Goodreads email, which I assume some of you but maybe not all of you receive, this book is one of the books for Goodreads first book review contest (copied and pasted text follows):

Announcing the first Goodreads book review contest!

Do you think your literary insight runs deeper than New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani's? Or maybe you're as succinct as movie man Roger Ebert? Show us what you've got! We've chosen three books for you to praise or disparage. Submit your reviews for consideration in the Goodreads Book Review Contest Group. The winning reviews will be featured as top reviews on Goodreads, and along with bragging rights, the best reviewers will also receive Amazon gift certificates.

This month's categories:
New Fiction: The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho
New Nonfiction: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan
Classics: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

message 8: by Doug (new)

Doug | 17 comments Mod
Lisa,

I saw that yesterday. Isn't it great? To my mind is really is the better book (than Omnivore's Dilemma). Should we try to get more discussion here? If so, we could change the title of the group. What do you think? :)Doug

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Doug, Might be a good idea. TOD discussion never took off. I haven't read this book yet though. But, now that it's one of the GR three, perhaps many more will have read/will read it. My vote would be to change the name of the group. Great idea!

message 10: by Doug (new)

Doug | 17 comments Mod
Lisa,

Sounds good - I changed the name of the group and the picture. Perhaps, we will get some good discussion going. :)doug

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara I read In Defense of Food a few months ago and I really liked it. He gave a lot of information on both sides of the issue, which I thought was great. I like to look at a point from both sides, and I think his view on Organics and food in general were good. I try to eat organic as much as possible and use organic soap and creme but it has it's own downfalls as he pointed out. I recommend this book, it was excellent.