Editors and Writers discussion

Do You Know What Kind of Editing You Need?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Kennedy | 61 comments Fact is, there are all kinds of editors with varying levels of experience. But there are also various kinds of editing skills that come into play when building a successful, professionally polished book. Even a self-published ebook has to be able to compete with traditionally published titles these days, and you can't hope to do that with a book that isn't everything it should be. If you want to hire someone with 25 years' experience in fiction craft who has worked with some bestselling authors, why not contact me at http://villagegreenpressLLC.com We offer support for authors at EVERY stage of the process, whether you're seeking to self publish, or want to pursue more traditional options. Check out our Testimonials page, too!

message 2: by TJ (new)

TJ | 3 comments That is a great question especially for someone like me that is just starting out. I just completed my book and currently having friends reading it to give me feed back, but all they tell me is that the book is good. I think they are telling me that so my feelings won't be hurt and only one friend made suggestions that needed to changed or added. So the question is besides the grammar that needs to be fixed do I look for an editor to help me with the story in its entirety? I. E. flow, background, characters, plot, and etc....

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Z. Miller (szmiller) | 12 comments Hey TJ,
It sounds like you might be interested in hiring a content/developmental editor, as opposed to a copy editor. In a traditional publishing house, a manuscript would first go to a content editor, who makes changes in terms of flow, character and plot development, chronology, etc. Then copy editing is completed thereafter. It looks like Village Green Press, above, offers content editing with its style and substance evaluation, which sounds like a great service. I also offer both content editing and copy editing (I'll post a description of each one here in the FAQs page of my website). Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about either service, or about content editing in general! http://szmiller.homestead.com/contact...
Good luck with your book. :)
-Susan