Talk About It! discussion

Ask a Question?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Basically this thread is for asking questions either to the whole group or maybe I guess to a specific member, although that might get invasive.

message 2: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
What's the latest you've ever stayed up doing homework. I recently stayed up til 5:00 in the morning on Saturday, studying for an economics test, and then till 5:00 again that Monday while doing a math assignment.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 15, 2013 03:53PM) (new)

Danny wrote: "What's the latest you've ever stayed up doing homework. I recently stayed up til 5:00 in the morning on Saturday, studying for an economics test, and then till 5:00 again that Monday while doing a..."

That's insane. I usually wake up early instead of going to sleep late because I like to procrastinate.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 15, 2013 04:23PM) (new)

My question isn't really a question, but I want to hear everyone's stories of when they got in trouble at school.

I almost never get in trouble, but recently I made my history teacher angry by falling asleep in class during a work period. He banged on the table with his fist and threatened to send me up to the office, where I'd presumably get a long boring talk by the assistant principal telling me how ashamed of myself I should be. For falling asleep.

Apologies if I sound like some undisciplined, "troubled" kid, but somehow I find that extremely funny. I mean, LOL! A teacher threatening to send me up to the office for falling asleep. Seriously man, that's freaking hilarious. And the tone of voice he had when he threatened me...XD

And as a note, don't' blame the kids for falling asleep. Of the hundreds of kids who get bored in class, the teacher is the one and only constant. Might be a sign of who's fault it really is.

*chuckles*

message 5: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Jocelyn wrote: "Danny wrote: "What's the latest you've ever stayed up doing homework. I recently stayed up til 5:00 in the morning on Saturday, studying for an economics test, and then till 5:00 again that Monday..."

Yeah, well I hadn't gone to Economics class for a while and basically condensed a third of the course into the one and a half days before the test. Thank goodness for coffee.

It's not that big a deal if someone falls asleep in class. I can see why the teacher would be annoyed though.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 15, 2013 04:31PM) (new)

Ah, yes, the coffee. Where would you be without the coffee??? And wow, even I'm not that bad a procrastinator. Or maybe I am. Haven't tried it yet, so I don't know.

I can see why the teacher would be annoyed though.

I guess my answer to that is that, well, the students are annoyed. It's only fair that the teacher acknowledges that, instead of punishing them for it. I mean, think about it: how good is it for the kid if all you teach them is to shut up and obey? They're going to be gullible idiots when they grow up.

message 7: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Jocelyn wrote: "Ah, yes, the coffee. Where would you be without the coffee??? And wow, even I'm not that bad a procrastinator. Or maybe I am. Haven't tried it yet, so I don't know.

I can see why the teacher would..."

Agreed. The great thing about university is that if you don't like a teacher you just don't go to class, and they don't penalize you.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

That's amazing! Now I wanna skip 4 grades and jump to college.

message 9: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Allison (caitybug13) | 52 comments The only thing I used to really get in troule for at school was incomplete homework, except this one time. It was actually a very funny story.

I'd had a lot of caffein that day, just to let you know. It was lunchtime and the bell had already rung so I was sort of late for my next class. I had a half full carton of milk and I tried to throw it into the trashcan. I swear I didn't notice the janitor on the other side, and, well, I've never said that I have good aim.

You can probably guess what happened next. I didn't actually hit the guy, just his feet, but milk went everywhere. He gave me a dirty "you are in sooooo much trouble look," and I bolted. I never got in trouble though. The only witness was my friend.

I felt really bad about it.

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill Golden | 82 comments Latest staying up for homework: the next day. Seriously, I've pulled all-nighters without a second thought, because my circadian rhythms have had all of the sense of a schizophrenic's ravings for most of my life.

Trouble in school... I got kicked out of Catholic school for almost continuous fighting.

I almost never did my homework. However, tests come easily to me, so I'd balance the 0s with B's and A's and pass every class.

Being the smallest kid in my class, I was continually getting picked on; I'd pick the absolute worst times to get even, too, and invariably get caught.

Oddly enough, I was a straight-A student in college when I got my associates'. Did my homework, studied my ass off, and even tutored other students. You'd never know I was a complete screwup from K - 12.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 15, 2013 10:07PM) (new)

caitybug13 wrote: "The only thing I used to really get in troule for at school was incomplete homework, except this one time. It was actually a very funny story.

I'd had a lot of caffein that day, just to let you kn..."

Incomplete homework? I feel like if I were able to gather every missing assignment or late assignment I ever had, I'd end up with a garbage dump. Quite embarrassing.

Haha, great story, caitybug13!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Bill wrote: "Latest staying up for homework: the next day. Seriously, I've pulled all-nighters without a second thought, because my circadian rhythms have had all of the sense of a schizophrenic's ravings for m..."

Ha. The few times I've been bullied, I usually smirk at them, then dream up some sarcastic response I wished I'd thrown at them before. Never for being small, even though I was pretty short some years ago.

I'm exactly the same. Homework is like a living hell for me, slogging through a bunch of worthless bullshit, and I had more missing assignments than turned-in assignments. But tests? BAM! I could get a solid A before the unit even started. Math excepted.

message 13: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Jocelyn wrote: "Bill wrote: "Latest staying up for homework: the next day. Seriously, I've pulled all-nighters without a second thought, because my circadian rhythms have had all of the sense of a schizophrenic's ..."

Speaking of homeschooling pros/cons, not dealing with bullies is definitely a pro. (Although, I have sort of run into bullies before, just not at school.)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Speaking of homeschooling pros/cons, not dealing with bullies is definitely a pro. (Although, I have sort of run into bullies before, just not at school.)"

That's true. I can't imagine a single good thing that could come from being a victim of bullying. Either you start feeling as though you're totally alone in a cruel world called school, or you feel pissed that you have to put up with this unnecessary stupidity.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex  | 146 comments I've never ever pulled an all nighter. I always had a work hard/play hard rule. Throughout my degree years I never ever worked past 17:00 no matter what but I worked 10:00 -17:00 every day Mon-Fri religiously. if I couldn't do it in that time I couldn't do it. Saved my sanity and a lot of stress. No idea if it's a good system or not but the idea of pulling an all-nighter just sounds horrible to me.

I have supplied the coffee for others, though...

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2013 10:37AM) (new)

Alex wrote: "I always had a work hard/play hard rule."

I wish I was like that. As hard as I try, I can never stop procrastinating. Wish there was a way to make work and play the same thing. That would solve a lot!

message 17: by Alex (last edited Mar 16, 2013 10:39AM) (new)

Alex  | 146 comments Jocelyn wrote: "I wish I was like that. As hard as I try, I can never stop procrastinating. Wish there was a way to make work and play the same thing. That would solve everything!"

Well it does help a lot if you enjoy the work - which I did, a lot - but over time you also just develop a work ethic that suits you and find yourself sticking to it. The older you get the more you'll enjoy it Jocelyn ... you're not being pushed at school at the minute and you're not learning as much as you might. It'll be different for you the more freedom you get to take charge of your own learning. You'll be fine.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Question for Lydia and Danny:

As siblings, do you guys spend more time interacting online, or in person?

message 19: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Allison (caitybug13) | 52 comments I was always the kid at school who never did her homework but whose teachers never had a problem with her becaue she always passed the tests. The only time I ever did any homework was when I was at lunch. Maybe that is why I dont really like homeschooling.

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2013 11:07AM) (new)

If I were the teacher and absolutely had to use tests and homework one way or the other, I'd give the test first in the beginning of the unit. All people who get B+ or higher don't need to do homework. Those who get below have to. Ta-da! Less work for everyone, and it makes sure people aren't practicing things they already have drilled into their heads just fine.

message 21: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Allison (caitybug13) | 52 comments I would love that so much!

message 22: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Jocelyn wrote: "Question for Lydia and Danny:

As siblings, do you guys spend more time interacting online, or in person?"

In person definitely. I mean, that would be kind of weird otherwise. We watch a lot of tv together, and we always have giant debates that go for hours, whereas we talk online very rarely.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Giant debates?

message 24: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Yep. Their subject matter can range from the topic of feminism to bagels. We drag our other siblings into them frequently.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Bagels????

On sibling debates, my sister and I's only fights are petty quarrels, not debates. I'm jealous.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "Bagels????

On sibling debates, my sister and I's only fights are petty quarrels, not debates. I'm jealous."

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Yep. Their subject matter can range from the topic of feminism to bagels. We drag our other siblings into them frequently."

My brother and I are in between you guys and your sibs:)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Question for all: Have you ever accidentally stolen something? Like, not on purpose, but you'll borrow something from someone and never give it back because you keep forgetting or something like that?
I stole my drama teacher's script that way, and a book from my girl scouts leader that way.

It's a habit that seriously needs to be broken...

message 28: by Bill (new)

Bill Golden | 82 comments Livvy {TWD, baby!} wrote: "Question for all: Have you ever accidentally stolen something?"

Sort of.

I took the abridged version of The Stand out of the library many, many years ago, then misplaced it. I never paid the fine on it, and it never became an issue.

About a year later, it turned up. By then, I was kind of leery about how high of a fine I had racked up on it, so I just held on to it.

I still have it. 30ish years later. Never paid the fine.

message 29: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Allison (caitybug13) | 52 comments I took a book from my fourth grade teacher by accident once. I remember it because she was my favorite teacher.

Speaking of library fines, I went to the library the other day and I had a 22 dollar fine. It was really upsetting because I only had thirty and had to give it over or else they wouldn't let me check any more books out. The guy I gave my money to kept giving me these dirty looks like I was some criminal because I hadn't been able to turn my books in on time. And it wasn't even my fault. My mom's car broke down and I couldn't get to the library and they wouldn't let me renew them over the phone or online.

message 30: by Bill (new)

Bill Golden | 82 comments caitybug13 wrote: "My mom's car broke down and I couldn't get to the library and they wouldn't let me renew them over the phone or online."

That sucks. You couldn't find anyone to bring it back for you?

I like our library's set-up. 10¢ a day for overdue books, limited to the full value of the book; 3 renewals via online or in person. It helps that my mother-in-law works there.

What does everyone like to take out of their library? Just books, or do you take advantage of other media, such as DVDs and graphic novels (I managed to read all of Fullmetal Alchemist over the course of a year as our library acquired the entire series... good stuff)?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never stolen anything, but I had a friend who once had.

She and her family were shopping at Target. Her brother handed her a ball to hold onto and purchase later. She put the ball in her pocket. After they checked out all their items, they went out the door and the alarms rang. So they re-checked out their items and the alarms rang again (because of the ball in my friend's pocket, which everyone had completely forgotten). Finally, the clerk just let them go. Then my friend found out later that the alarms had rung because of the ball in her pocket.

Still has the ball today.

message 32: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
@Bill: How could you manage to stay up an entire night? After a while things would just stop making sense.

@Alex: I admire your discipline.

As for bullying, I've never been bullied, and that's probably a good thing because I think I would have a response reminiscent of Ender Wiggin.

message 33: by Bill (new)

Bill Golden | 82 comments Danny wrote: "How could you manage to stay up an entire night? After a while things would just stop making sense."

How do I do it? My sleep cycles have been wonky for as long as I can remember. Where everyone else (read: "normal folk") crashes out when it's bedtime, I'm tossing and turning, trying not to think about how I'm going to get only x number of hours before I need to wake up.

Occasionally, I just lose the ability to sleep. At the end of that time, I crash for about 12-13 hours, wake up feeling half-dead, and kind of cruise along on a "normal" schedule for a few weeks... until the circadian rhythm forgets what the clock is telling it, and I end up on Eastern Vampire Time™ again.

Reality does tend to degrade right around the 24-25 hour mark. I once went to see a movie when I'd been up for about 32 hours, and to this day the only thing I really remember about it is that it ended with "Sweet Child 'O Mine" by Guns and Roses. Oh, and it was a horror movie.

message 34: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jazzyjams) | 77 comments Bill wrote: "Danny wrote: "How could you manage to stay up an entire night? After a while things would just stop making sense."

How do I do it? My sleep cycles have been wonky for as long as I can remember. W..."

I think I'd be pretty good at pulling an all-nighter (haven't had to. Yet...). I think 2 years ago I almost did, but I ended up get 2 hours of sleep...

32 hours? I salute you.

But Danny, while you don't get being up 24 hours, I don't understand how poeple can fall asleep at a certain time every night. The whole "bedtime" thing is completely lost to me...

message 35: by Bill (new)

Bill Golden | 82 comments JazzyJams wrote: "32 hours? I salute you."

I have a feeling I didn't word that right:

At 32 hours, I bought the ticket.

At 34 hours, I left the theatre.

I walked 5 miles back home. Took about an hour and a half (it was dark, and a nice summer night to boot).

I grabbed a snack at home and wound down for about a 1/2 hour or so.

Then I went to bed, and tossed and turned for a few.

Altogether, I think that adds up to about 36 hours... which is not my personal record.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

It's weird, because in the past, I always had insomnia. I could never fall asleep. I would toss and turn so much that I only got about 4 or 5 hours per night of sleep instead of the 9 hours I was actually in bed.

Now, it's like I can't get enough sleep. I fall asleep so often in my classes at school, I'm practically famous for it. I could sit down to read a book and find myself falling asleep. When it's time to sleep, I fall asleep within about 5 minutes or less.

Never found a perfect balance quite yet.

message 37: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Jocelyn wrote: "It's weird, because in the past, I always had insomnia. I could never fall asleep. I would toss and turn so much that I only got about 4 or 5 hours per night of sleep instead of the 9 hours I was a..."

You just described my life perfectly.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

You just described my life perfectly.

We should start agreeing on more things, shouldn't we?

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jazzyjams) | 77 comments Jocelyn wrote: "It's weird, because in the past, I always had insomnia. I could never fall asleep. I would toss and turn so much that I only got about 4 or 5 hours per night of sleep instead of the 9 hours I was a..."

That is pretty much my life, minus falling asleep in class. No matter what I can't make myself fall asleep. Although I do know this guy who falls asleep during pretty much everything XD

message 40: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Jocelyn wrote: "You just described my life perfectly.

We should start agreeing on more things, shouldn't we?"

We agree on quite a few things actually. More than me and Livvy agree on anyway :)

message 41: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
@Jazzy: I would not be considered by most people to keep normal hours of sleep. My average bedtime is like 2:00 am, lol.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Bill wrote: "Livvy {TWD, baby!} wrote: "Question for all: Have you ever accidentally stolen something?"

Sort of.

I took the abridged version of The Stand out of the library many, many years ago, then misplace..."

Lol, my brother did that (he had a book for, like, thirteen years) and now he's kind of scared of going back to the library.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Bill wrote: "caitybug13 wrote: "My mom's car broke down and I couldn't get to the library and they wouldn't let me renew them over the phone or online."

That sucks. You couldn't find anyone to bring it back fo..."

Music CD's and graphic novels, not really movies though. I tend to see them in the theater or buy them myself.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Jocelyn wrote: "You just described my life perfectly.

We agree on quite a few things actually. More than me and Livvy agree on anyway :)"

Oh come on, anyone could agree on more things than you and me:)

message 45: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Livvy wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Jocelyn wrote: "You just described my life perfectly.

We agree on quite a few things actually. More than me and L..."

True :P

message 46: by Bill (new)

Bill Golden | 82 comments Livvy wrote:"Lol, my brother did that (he had a book for, like, thirteen years) and now he's kind of scared of going back to the library. "

I can't return mine: the library changed over its system, moved across town, and in the process lost a bunch of its records. I was able to start taking books out again about 15 years ago, and they still haven't caught on to the fact that I still have their copy of The Stand.

message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 24, 2013 07:20PM) (new)

Question: Is there any particular review you've written that somehow attracts a lot of friend requests, for whatever reason? Or conversely, attracts a lot of anger? Just curious.

message 48: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jazzyjams) | 77 comments Livvy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Livvy {TWD, baby!} wrote: "Question for all: Have you ever accidentally stolen something?"

Sort of.

I took the abridged version of The Stand out of the library many, many years ago, ..."

Now that I think about it I do have a book that I should've given back a while ago, except it was a copy of the bible, and it was from church. I had borrowed it over the summer because I was like "yeah, I'm going to try and read the Old Testament cuz why not!" but we didn't end up going back to church the next year... Or any year since :/ It makes me feel guilty everytime we go there for my sister's piano recital...

message 49: by Lydia (new)

Lydia The Bible is kind of a bad book to steal lol. That sort of goes against its teachings. If you had stolen The Book Thief instead, you wouldn't really be at fault, cause the book promotes that :P

message 50: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jazzyjams) | 77 comments The Mighty Katara wrote: "The Bible is kind of a bad book to steal lol. That sort of goes against its teachings. If you had stolen The Book Thief instead, you wouldn't really be at fault, cause the book promotes that :P"

I didn't mean to, I swear! Although it is kind of funny in retrospect ^__^

« previous 1