The BURIED Book Club discussion

Gerald Murnane
This topic is about Gerald Murnane
unBURIED Authors K-P > Gerald Murnane

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Declan (new)

Declan | 42 comments J. M. Coetzee wrote about Murnane in a recent issue of the NYRB: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archi.... He will also feature in the Fall issue of Musia and Literature: http://musicandliterature.org/forthco....

message 2: by Declan (new)

Declan | 42 comments
Ali wrote: "Murnane (163 ratings and 13 works) seems to be exactly the type of ambitious pretentious elitist innovative novel noveller that members of this group and other snobs not on Goodreads would love".

I love it Ali...too true, too true!

message 3: by S̶e̶a̶n̶ (new)

S̶e̶a̶n̶ (nothingness) | 92 comments Well, this thread certainly withered on the vine.

UPDATE: Gerald Murnane published his LAST work of fiction EVER:

Border Districts

(Yes, this is somewhat old news, but not nearly as old as the most recent comment on this thread.)

message 4: by Perifian (new)

Perifian | 17 comments I suspect the conceit of The Plains is just too fascinating for more casual readers to explore therebeyond? [guilty smile]

message 5: by S̶e̶a̶n̶ (new)

S̶e̶a̶n̶ (nothingness) | 92 comments I confess to also not having explored the borders further (yet) but given the modest rise in Murnane's popularity on the site in the five years since this thread began I thought perhaps a wee bit of evidence of such might have trickled down here. (Also this was a good excuse to attempt artificial respiration on the musty old BBC carcass.)

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments I have read pretty much everything of his now (need to get to Tamarisk Row) and would wholeheartedly recommend them all. “A Million Windows” and the collection of his short stories would be top of my list, along with The Plains

message 7: by Declan (new)

Declan | 42 comments 'Tamarisk Row' and 'Border Districts' are due to be published by & Other Stories in Jan/Feb.

message 8: by Tonymess (new)

Tonymess | 12 comments I attended his symposium in his hometown of Goroke with about 20 others this time last year, where he spoke of finishing fiction for good (he has claimed that before, however he has been unwell is not getting any younger etc etc). Shannon Burns is working through his legendary archives so there may be something from times passed (‘Oh Dem Golden Slippers’ is one work that was never published). His Aussie publisher, Giramondo, is releasing a collection of poetry (good grief!!) and I thoroughly recommend ‘Border Districts’ (his alleged last). Well I recommend them all in fact but the UK releases are less strange than some of his other work.
I’ve a plethora of material (papers presented at the symposium, reflections on the day itself, podcast interviews etc) if people would like me to post links to any of it. My own piece about the day can be read here
https://messybooker.wordpress.com/201...

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) Border Districts won the fiction category of the 2018 Prime Minister’s Literary award yesterday in Australia.

https://www.arts.gov.au/departmental-...

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 54 comments Paul wrote: "Border Districts won the fiction category of the 2018 Prime Minister’s Literary award yesterday in Australia.

https://www.arts.gov.au/departmental-..."

Fellow buried book club writer brian castro is in there too in the poetry section.. have the judges been lurking in this group all along?

message 11: by Tonymess (new)

Tonymess | 12 comments Nah, just me spruiking the bejesus out of the two of them. Both books (Murnane’s & Castro’s) are really worth hunting down

message 12: by fourtriplezed (new)

fourtriplezed  (4triplezed) | 6 comments Ridiculous. I have three of his books around the house and am yet to read one.

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments 4triplezed wrote: "Ridiculous. I have three of his books around the house and am yet to read one.

[spoilers removed] David Ireland is. "

But he's almost popular!!! ...ah what the heck, ADD Pleeze!

message 14: by S̶e̶a̶n̶ (new)

S̶e̶a̶n̶ (nothingness) | 92 comments Tonymess wrote: "I attended his symposium in his hometown of Goroke with about 20 others this time last year, where he spoke of finishing fiction for good (he has claimed that before, however he has been unwell is ..."

Thanks for the link to your blog post, Tony. Very enjoyable read.

message 15: by Tonymess (new)

Tonymess | 12 comments No problems for the link, thanks for reading.

Are we adding David Ireland? The thread has gone all funny. I’m very fortunate (or prophetic), owning one of the 250 copies of his novel “The World Repair Video Game” - poor bloke can’t get anything published even though he won our preeminent literary award (the Miles Franklin) three times in the 1970’s

message 16: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Tonymess wrote: "No problems for the link, thanks for reading."

[yes, someone is/may]

message 17: by Perifian (new)

Perifian | 17 comments Funny negative review, if you want a laugh: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Border-Distr...

message 18: by fourtriplezed (new)

fourtriplezed  (4triplezed) | 6 comments Tonymess wrote: "The thread has gone all funny. "

Sorry. Did not mean to hijack your thread. I have made it up by reading Tamarisk Row.

I will say it now, it is a work of genius.

message 19: by Tonymess (last edited Jan 16, 2019 09:18PM) (new)

Tonymess | 12 comments Righteo, waiting and waiting for someone to add David Ireland, looks like I’ll do it. Stay tuned.

message 20: by Mike (new)

Mike | 2 comments Murnane's final work, a collection of essays called Last Letter to a Reader, was published November of this year in Australia. I ordered directly from Giramondo since I'm in the states but it looks like the UK and US edition will be published in May 2022 by And Other Stories.

I also exchanged a few emails with Shannon Burns about his work on a biography of Murnane but that was in late 2020 so I'm not sure what the status is there. I'm also trying to find a copy of a documentary on Murnane that I think dates back to the early 90s but it's damn near impossible to find.

message 21: by Tonymess (new)

Tonymess | 12 comments For the film & documentary queries try Brendan Casey on Twitter @unAustraliana I’m pretty sure he did a showing at Melbourne University a few years ago.

message 22: by Mike (new)

Mike | 2 comments Tonymess wrote: "For the film & documentary queries try Brendan Casey on Twitter @unAustraliana I’m pretty sure he did a showing at Melbourne University a few years ago."

Thank you, appreciate the info. I'll give that a shot.