Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) Fifty Shades of Grey discussion

If Christian wasn't rich

Comments Showing 1-50 of 160 (160 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Tialisa Would we readers have taken to Christian Grey had he not been wealthy? We women can find beauty in the oddest places so looks aside had Christian been a good looking gas station attendent would we have stayed through all three books?

Daphne Yes I would. I think money isn't all that... He's such a romantic en sweet lover... That's what catched me while reading the books...

Tialisa He's a saddist who is controlling and defective? His goal is to hurt. Well WAS to hurt. Most of his actions were stalkerish at best were he not wealthy and handsome most women of sound mind would not have tolerated the beatings.

Gracie I say no cause the money is what helped him to pamper her and take her to places so she can forget what he would do to her....lets keep it real the looks helped a lot and money cause a broke handsome guy wouldn't cut it for any girl to get like u said beaten in anyway!

Kirsten I'm not sure if I would have still read the books if he wasn't wealthy mainly because even though I don't think money is overly important, it would have changed a lot of the story line.. I think he would have still found someone to fulfill his needs even if he wasn't wealthy, your right in a way that without the money it would have been harder, but apart from ana all the other subs he had liked being told what to do and hurt.. I agree he is stalkerish but I think that's part of the point he's a dom who likes full controll

Sophia Moore I think a lot of his personality—and people tolerating him—comes from wealth. Interesting question, but I think he'd be very different without the safety that comes with $$$.

Kirsten Yes I think he would be different but he was already part of that lifestyle as a teen so I don't think it would have changed much to do with his sexuality, most of the reason he is that way is due to child hood trauma and that stupid elena woman not the money. Money might make finding subs easier but I'm sure he could find one anyway

Tialisa With the money it's a sexy fantasy without it's a movie of the week.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Tialisa wrote: "With the money it's a sexy fantasy without it's a movie of the week."

You are so RIGHT! and like LuAnn said, it's fantasy, and what fun is a fantasy if everyone isn't filthy rich??? My fantasy guy is :P

Alberto Finamore Guys, sorry, but you got it all wrong! With money or without money, Grey is a man with enormous problems and a misguided way of living. He needs an asylum not that ridiculous therapist. If this book were set in England, Grey would be a criminal. Just check. In most countries BDSM is considered crime - consent or no consent.
And, hello! A whip, a belt and a flogger leave deep marks. Does any of you have seen a beaten woman? Let's stop romanticizing what is not beautiful or sexy.

message 11: by Gigi (new) - rated it 1 star

Gigi Tous A sane voice in this chaos! Welcome, Alberto!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

it's ummmmm.... FICTION!!!

message 13: by Gigi (last edited Mar 15, 2013 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Gigi Tous Mammamia wrote: "it's ummmmm.... FICTION!!!"

Right... BAD fiction...
But who am I to judge other's taste?
:DDDDDDD

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 15, 2013 12:17PM) (new)

Alberto wrote: "Guys, sorry, but you got it all wrong! With money or without money, Grey is a man with enormous problems and a misguided way of living. He needs an asylum not that ridiculous therapist. If this boo..."

Um, BDSM isn't a crime in most countries. Certain practices on the extreme side are outlawed, but BDSM as a whole isn't. Most people who engage in BDSM do not delve into the extremes.

To say normal people don't practice BDSM because of this terrible author's interpretation is not only ignorant, but it's insulting.

What took place in this book wasn't BDSM; it was abuse. The author doesn't know what BDSM is and it is just one of many reason her book fails to be taken seriously. Fiction or not, a writer worth their salt researches their subject matter.

message 15: by Gary (last edited Mar 15, 2013 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Gary Could he afford all that equipment had he not been at least been pretty well off? How many folks out there have their own dungeon/play room? At least, how many have one who don't do something like that for a living?

Honestly, wealth is a standard cliche for this kind of book. It's almost intrinsic to the fantasy. Picture the same character as an elementary school teacher, a truck driver or a bathroom attendant. It would have sold six copies.

Frances Yes because it was about the person not the money. But then if he wasn't rich there would be no Fifty Shades as he wouldn't have been CEO and met Anastasia!

Christian was involved in BDSM because of his problems. There are many aspects of BDSM and Fifty Shades was just one of them.

Brandi No, it would have taken away from his character. He worked hard to get where he wanted to be. He needed control and in order to have control he needed wealth to get and sustain that control. Why the heck to do you think he had a playroom where he controlled everything even a freaking contract to go with it. Control and Wealth go hand in hand for him. The real question is would he be able to give that all up for Ana?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Frances wrote: "Frances Christian was involved in BDSM because of his problems. There are many aspects of BDSM and Fifty Shades was just one of them. "

I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/201...

Frances You don't have to have a mental health problem to be into BDSM obviously, but in the case of Fifty Shades he did and he was! That is all!

message 20: by Lina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lina Yep...

Ilana yes, i think that if he still had his background/ history that made him into what he was, then he still would have had that same power because there would have been some wall built up that would have made him seem like he was unattainable. i've read quite a few other books in the Erotica genre and the leads aren't always these wealthy men, yet they have the same response. i think that it's just the nature of the dom that really does it for a lot of us.

message 22: by Nuran (last edited Mar 20, 2013 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nuran Though the money wasn't a turn on for me, otherwise I would have rated this book higher and found the book amazing which I didn't, I know it appeals to many others. Call it superficial or a fantasy, I don't think it would have been popular if he wasn't, maybe people would see what a stalking control freak he was.

And no, it isn't the bdsm that bothers me, if it's done correctly. So easy for BDSM to be used as an excuse for abuse.

Wendy I think the real thing here for most of these comment is that people are comparing what he is doing as abuse. Get a grip people, the ladies all the ladies were willing. These were not kidnapped sex slaves and they were not abused wives/girlfriends! Some people are into this, they are regular average adults! Some people like to put on diapers and act like babies to each their own! Life and Love is full of more things then missionary, stop being judgmental and prudish!!!

Wendy Frances wrote: "You don't have to have a mental health problem to be into BDSM obviously, but in the case of Fifty Shades he did and he was! That is all!"

Well said! I cant understand judgmental prudes! To each their own

Anita Anderson If he was poor, most of his stalking would be out of the question. Come on, his trip to Georgia in first book just to show up when she went to see her mom (?!), all the black berries, lap tops, phones... he would not control her as much if he couldn't buy those things. Really, I didn't like him as a character. I fall for TLC, not beating and totally messed up brain. In times when he managed to pull out something loving (like a sky diving treat for her, chasing the dawn) and entirely selfless I saw hope... however, those times were far and between.

Catherine Byrne Alberto wrote: "Guys, sorry, but you got it all wrong! With money or without money, Grey is a man with enormous problems and a misguided way of living. He needs an asylum not that ridiculous therapist. If this boo..."

I sooo agree. Okay, as some say it is fiction, but it worries me that so many women WANT to fantisize about being Grey's sub. I do not find books like this entertaining - more cringe making.

Elena Chumich money gives power to man and girls love that!

Elena Chumich in my opinion intelligence and kindness are more powerful things than money!

Mochaspresso The experiences in the story would have been scaled down, but I don't think the lack of wealth would have changed his actual character that much. I think the story would still have been there as long as he was still....

1) equally as driven and ambitious
2) equally as attentive
3) equally as good in bed (Ana thought he was exceptional in that regard. What you personally think doesn't matter. It's her story, not yours.)
4) equally as charming. (Ana thought he was. That's all that matters.)

The real question is would ANA still have dated Christian had he not been rich? I think she would have.

message 30: by Gigi (new) - rated it 1 star

Gigi Tous Paul wrote: "Alberto wrote: "Guys, sorry, but you got it all wrong! With money or without money, Grey is a man with enormous problems and a misguided way of living. He needs an asylum not that ridiculous therap..."

Paul, I fully agree with you. It's pure abuse: verbal, psychological and physical.
But what do you consider a normal BDSM relationship doesn't have an abusive trace? Just wondering, guys. I'm not into it and would like to know more about it as a curiosity.

message 31: by Sadie (new) - rated it 1 star

Sadie Ummmm the fantasy or whatever you want to call it wouldn't work if he wasn't rich or be as appealing as it is to so many people. But I don't even understand how it's appealing in the first place all the sex isn't anything unique. It's all boring and basic stuff. Just my opinion.

Gabriela I agree and disagree as well with a lot of the things you guys are saying.

Throwing in here my opinion, If Christian wasnt a wealthy fella this fantasy would not have been possible, The dark room of pain was filled with a lot of things that a regular person couldnt just buy. And also, a lot of the settings that made the story entertaining were possible because he was rich. Im not saying that you need money in the way to love someone. Im saying that this is a very particular story and I think it would have been boring with an ordinary background.

And personally, these books were just appealing to me because of those scenarios, that extravagance, if you wish, that existed thanks to Christian Grey being a very rich dude. I skipped more sex scenes that I can count.

Betsy Without the money, there is literally no story here. I don't have the book in front of me, but I would be surprised if there are more than 5 consecutive pages in the entire book that wouldn't need a rewrite if Christian wasn't a billionaire.

Diane Mochaspresso wrote: "The real question is would ANA still have dated Christian had he not been rich? I think she would have.
"

I think she would've as well. I didn't think the money was a huge part of the attraction.

Robin H Betsy wrote: "Without the money, there is literally no story here. I don't have the book in front of me, but I would be surprised if there are more than 5 consecutive pages in the entire book that wouldn't need..."

That's exactly what I was thinking! If Christian hadn't been rich- he never would have had his company. No company means no interview. No interview- no story. So it is sort of imperative to the books. Sure-they could have met in another way- but it works for this story.

message 36: by Somi (last edited Mar 25, 2013 04:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Somi Wealth is a central part of the romance fantasy, that's why it's one of the main elements in romance novels. The guy is rich, or gets rich in the course of the story.

The BDSM was weird... I skipped over most of the sex in the book (especially the 2nd and 3rd books) because I found it tiresome and too much. I didn't think Christian was a stalker though... a guy is only ever a stalker if you don't like him, if you do, he is persistent and it's 'endearing'.

What was I trying to say.... Oh yes.. without the money, Christian Grey is just a weird and persistent perv.

message 37: by Faye (new) - rated it 1 star

Faye Haha well I would suggest that he find another "hobby" or whatever he calls that. It wouldn't be 50shades if he's not rich.

Angelus Haha! you guys are so cute! c'mon more discussion please! :)

Katerina If Christian wasn´t rich...or are so many women shallow and agree to everything, if it comes with tons of money?
isn´t this the real question?
Some time ago it was a prince and now he is a billionaire...that is a pattern in romance books and it´s obviously working.

message 40: by Ayka (last edited May 31, 2013 02:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ayka If christian wasn't rich I still think that Anastasia can accept him since she's not that materialistic.

message 41: by Gigi (new) - rated it 1 star

Gigi Tous Ayka wrote: "If christian wasn't rich I still think that Anastasia can accept him since she's not that materialistic."

Do you remember why she accepted him? Because he was handsome, polite and RICH. It's there on the book!
He is as an abuser, not a real dominant. And even if he were a real dominant, she doesn't like pain and she keeps repeating it, so his desires and pleasure are about hers?!
This is the message ELJames is passing: Learn to like what you don't like, because he is the man and he wants! It's a pleasure to pleasure him.
This is not love, this has many other very ugly names!
WAKE UP, GIRLS!

Megan I don't think so. As I've said before since he was rich it made his abuse okay. He still had enough money to take care of her if anything happened. We'd be worried for Anna otherwise. Let's get real, who really thinks "gosh can't wait 'till I turn 16 to get a job or 21 graduated from college collect student loans/debt just to work and never live above a middle class life." NO ONE. We love that Christian has money, make believe amount (how much did he make a minute?) We love the security that Christian can provide not his "love" that he poured onto Ana.

message 43: by Gigi (new) - rated it 1 star

Gigi Tous Megan wrote: "I don't think so. As I've said before since he was rich it made his abuse okay. He still had enough money to take care of her if anything happened. We'd be worried for Anna otherwise. Let's get rea..."

Really? Jesus... We live in the 21st century. I don't want a man for his money or ordering me around. I prefer to be equals. Or I give the orders!

message 44: by Leslie (last edited Jun 01, 2013 08:47PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leslie I think I would have Christian just the same regardless of if he was rich or not. I didn't really like him. Lol. He was controlling which I really don't like. However, the ladies he controlled were willing and it is a perfectly legitimate lifestyle choice. Also what he was doing from the BDSM aspect wasn't abuse.

message 45: by Megan (last edited Jun 01, 2013 10:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Megan Gigi wrote: "Megan wrote: "I don't think so. As I've said before since he was rich it made his abuse okay. He still had enough money to take care of her if anything happened. We'd be worried for Anna otherwise...."
Then why do I have on my 1920's flapper dress? I'm aware that we live in the 21st century but do you not believe that people still think this way? She asked if we thought we'd still love Christian even without the money, I'm saying no, people loved the financial security he could provide for her.

Martine Tialisa wrote: "Would we readers have taken to Christian Grey had he not been wealthy? We women can find beauty in the oddest places so looks aside had Christian been a good looking gas station attendent would we ..."

Hell yeah! He'd still be gorgeous! And he'd still need the help of a helpless romantic to be rescued!!!

Martine Alberto wrote: "Guys, sorry, but you got it all wrong! With money or without money, Grey is a man with enormous problems and a misguided way of living. He needs an asylum not that ridiculous therapist. If this boo..."

Really?? BDSM is illegal in England?? They've been missing out!!! :P

Martine Mammamia wrote: "it's ummmmm.... FICTION!!!"

THANK YOU!!!

Paranormalfreak2010 yah because it more about the passion than it was him being rich, and she loved him for who he was not because he had money

Martine Paranormalfreak2010 wrote: "yah because it more about the passion than it was him being rich, and she loved him for who he was not because he had money"

That's right!

« previous 1 3 4