Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Help for Confused New Kindle Owner

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katlynn (new)

Katlynn Gambling (kgambling) | 5 comments I just got a Fire for a birthday present. My sister got it for me. I like it for watching movies and I play games on it. But I'm a little confused about how the ebooks work? I hope I don't sound too stupid with some of these questions. I am not the most technical person (I still have a flip phone because I can't figure out the smart phones lol)

My sister loaned me a book she read and I liked it and want to get my own copy, but when I go to Amazon to buy it it tells me I already have it? I'm not clear on how the borrowing thing works will Amazon not let you buy a book it thinks you already read?

Why are some of the ebook prices higher than the print prices? I was looking at some books and the ebook price was a dollar or two higher than the print? Is it a glitch or is that what the price is suppose to be?

Is mobi the same thing as Kindle? I found a site that says it has Kindle books but it doesn't say "kindle" format on the product descriptions it says mobi. Is it OK to buy kindle books from sites other than Amazon or will that void my warranty?

message 2: by Tylee (new)

Tylee Britton (tyleebritton) First question or paragraph: (I really hope I can help but I can be wrong. Sorry.) if amazon or the device or whatever thinks you already have the book, it won't let you buy it. You'll probably have to wait until the book is returned to the lender then try to buy it.

message 3: by Tylee (new)

Tylee Britton (tyleebritton) I THINK you can buy books you've borrowed. I wouldn't be really surprised if I was wrong though. I noticed the thing about some ebook prices higher than the book itself. I don't know why they do that. I have some that's that way.

message 4: by Tylee (new)

Tylee Britton (tyleebritton) I don't know about the kindle mobi thing. About the downloading from other sites or stuff.... There are apps that I THINK (once again) you can download eBooks from. I know there are these book lending websites like booklending.com that allows users to borrow books that they want from other people. The sites and apps haven't affected or effected me that I know of. Hope this helps! Any other questions, just ask. I'll try to answer.

message 5: by Katlynn (new)

Katlynn Gambling (kgambling) | 5 comments Actually, that helps! I returned the book to my sister and it let me buy it. *I feel dumb now!*

message 6: by Tylee (new)

Tylee Britton (tyleebritton) Glad I could help.

message 7: by Michael (last edited Mar 15, 2013 10:21AM) (new)

Michael Dunellen (heabdsm) Katlynn wrote: "Is mobi the same thing as Kindle? I found a site that says it has Kindle books but it doesn't say "kindle" format on the product descriptions it says mobi. Is it OK to buy kindle books from sites other than Amazon or will that void my warranty?
"

There used to be an ebook company called Mobipocket (they made an app for things like Palm Pilots) that had their own format called mobi. Amazon bought them and used mobi as the basis for the azw files that the Kindle uses. You still see some companies label books as .mobi format. Those work fine. You can move them to your Fire by either USB or e-mail them using the Kindle Personal Documents Service (which is how I always do it).

message 8: by Katlynn (new)

Katlynn Gambling (kgambling) | 5 comments Michael wrote: "Katlynn wrote: "Is mobi the same thing as Kindle? I found a site that says it has Kindle books but it doesn't say "kindle" format on the product descriptions it says mobi. Is it OK to buy kindle bo..."

OK, that makes sense. I was just worried wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something that would void my warranty, but I guess they wouldn't make it with the USB if they didn't want you loading stuff to it!

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Won't void your warranty, but those books may not be backed up in the Amazon cloud So if something happens to your Fire, and you have to replace it, all the books you bought from Amazon are available to reload with no problem, but those other books may not be. So, just be careful to back them up somewhere else, like maybe your desktop machine.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments something to think about - if you and your sister both have kindles - why not register them to the same account - either hers or yours (hers might be better since it seems like she is already established) - then you have access to all the books she has bought - and you can set up some kind of system for buying new ones - gift cards etc

yes, you can buy mobi books (or .prc is the other format abbreviation) and use them on your kindle without voiding your warrenty - probably about 50% of my stuff is from publishers like that - something new that Amazon has just started doing, if you email the book to your kindle, then it will show in your cloud as a document - before they never used to

message 11: by Katlynn (new)

Katlynn Gambling (kgambling) | 5 comments Thank you both!

Dee--yes, she's been reading ebooks forever. She works with computers so everything she does is with some gadget or another. I will ask her about the registering thing since we both have similar tastes that might be a good idea.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Dunellen (heabdsm) I thought this might be useful for anyone having trouble with the iOS App - Getting .mobi files into Kindle/iPad

On an Android Device you can use the send to kindle ability that comes the Kindle app.