Goodreads All Sorts discussion

Member's Corners > Jessa's Slightly Off-Kilter Corner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessa (last edited Mar 15, 2013 09:05AM) (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Well, I've been writing fiction for about 2 years now and so I mostly read books within my own genre these days, but before that read whatever interested me. Random and pretty widespread topics spanning from Trawler A Journey Through the North Atlantic by Redmond O'Hanlon to
There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem by Wayne W. Dyer to
Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles, #9) by Anne Rice .

Just finished reading I Capture the Castle, a book I'd had on my to-read list for ages, it seemed. Really adored it. Just lush descriptions, nuance, quirky characters, and a female protagonist who, despite her inexperience and young age, refuses to settle for a half-life. Sorry spoiler alert. A wonderful book.

Am currently reading: The Devil's Advocate The older I get the more shocked I am by how far a departure a film 'based on the book' is given license to go. From The Witches of Eastwick to now TDA...it's astounding. And disheartening really. Not that I'm finding Neiderman's writing and storytelling to be an improvement on the film, just...almost entirely different. I mean I fell in love with "The Devil's Advocate" the film right away. Pacino's scathing monologues, the subtlty, the atmosphere, the story. Just to come to find the book a sort of shell and the film loosely based on it. I wonder if Neiderman was okay with that? Had creative control? Even wrote the screenplay?

message 2: by Dalu (new)

Dalu  | 179 comments Hay Jessa, nice Corner! I might now read Icapture the castle for what you wrote sounds like something i might like :)
I think i read The witches of Eatwick, im really sure tho.

message 3: by Jessa (last edited Mar 15, 2013 08:42AM) (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Hi Dalu! And thanks! Hopefully I can keep it nice and tidy lol

:D Awesomeness. I think you'll enjoy it. Even if the characters aren't your cup of tea, the dialogue is entertaining, the setting Smith offers is so rich and uniquely described. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I read TWOE on and off while taking my mother for physical therapy and...I don't think I've recovered from the shock of its stark difference from the film. Really liked Jack Nicholson and Cher and Susan S etc. Just not what was in the book. *shrug* Who know if Updike even saw the screenplay before it was green-lighted...or what he thought about the movie.

message 4: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Hi Jessa. Welcome. Didn't know TDA was based on a book, def going to be added to me to-read shelf.

message 5: by Dalu (new)

Dalu  | 179 comments Jessa wrote: "Hi Dalu! And thanks! Hopefully I can keep it nice and tidy lol

:D Awesomeness. I think you'll enjoy it. Even if the characters aren't your cup of tea, the dialogue is entertaining, the setting Smi..."

Hey Jessa i dont know if you watched The Covenant its like a secuel of TWOE, its kind of a YA movie. you might like it :)

message 6: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Jean wrote: "Hi Jessa. Welcome. Didn't know TDA was based on a book, def going to be added to me to-read shelf."

Neither did I before doing a random search on Goodreads. lol And a pretty quick read to boot. You'll have to let me know what you think. :)

message 7: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Dalu wrote: "Jessa wrote: "Hi Dalu! And thanks! Hopefully I can keep it nice and tidy lol

:D Awesomeness. I think you'll enjoy it. Even if the characters aren't your cup of tea, the dialogue is entertaining, t..."

Interesting. Will have to make a note to check it out. Thanks Dalu.

message 8: by Bri (new)

Bri (ezBrizy) | 185 comments Hi Jessa! Nice corner...I agree with you here "The older I get the more shocked I am by how far a departure a film 'based on the book' is given license to go." It can be really shocking...I think my least favorite was "I Am Legend". I know the originally story was very short compared to others but WOW they changed almost everything. It was much worse than some of the other Richard Matheson stories that have been adapted to film.

message 9: by Jessa (last edited Mar 15, 2013 10:38AM) (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Thanks Bri :) and nice to meet you! It just seems to go too far for the sake of the sensational - and ticket sales I suppose?
And, as a reader who, at least with The Witches of Eastwick and The Devil's Advocate alike, saw and fell in love with the movie first, I come to feel like a traitor. Thanks Hollywood! :(

Same with The Devil's Advocate! Numerous characters you never saw hide nor hair of in the book, complete name changes, location changes, court case changes - the lot. Might as well have been an entirely different book.

I've heard a few things in passing about IAL, the film, falling short, particularly as regards the 'creatures' I think it was? Was it really that bad? :/

message 10: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Jessa wrote: ".....scathing monologues, the subtlty, the atmosphere, the story. Just to come to find the book a sort of shell and the film loosely based on it. I wonder if Neiderman was okay with that? Had creative control? Even wrote the screenplay? "

I wonder about that too. It seems that once the rights are bought or even considered, that the author doesn't stick around to see how his story turns out. I mean this is based upon an authors thoughts, words; not the movie studios. You would think they cared a little more about the creative output from the studios...

Nice corner! :D

message 11: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Hi Alondra,
Thank you! Not much to say but I'm hoping I can keep my corner 'clean' and tidy lol

You know, I remember a member from another group saying often after the script is bought there's no guarantee the author will continue to have creative control or to have a say re: the screenplay, casting etc. Maybe that's what happened to Niederman? Dunno. I think they made a good movie, in this case, but...it may have well been called "Evil Lawyers" or something else for all its similarities to The Devil's Advocate.

message 12: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Hi Jessa,
I also used to live in NJ. What a small world.

Good luck with your writing career.

message 13: by Jessa (last edited Mar 17, 2013 10:46AM) (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Hi Jon. What exit? ;) It does seem to be some sort of odd six-degrees dynamic in the continental US when it comes t The Garden State. Weird stuff...only less so when you consider our proximity to NYC of course. I'm sure you're glad you got out lol (And of course being a native, I'm given a pass on that jab)

Thank you for the positivenergy and for stopping in to my brand-spanking-new corner of awkwardness. :)

Hope to see you around! :)

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Exit 161 works. Lived in Bergen County.
I used to go to chess tournaments in Cherry Hill.
I know this may be somewhat shocking, but I actually miss NJ.
Well, most of it.

message 15: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Not shocking at all. And despite the deficits, corruption, heavy traffic, exorbitant property taxes, the scant amount of house and land you get for your dollar, and our consistent top 25 slot on the unhappiest states in the Union list, the influx continues. I grew up in Mercer Cnty. Oka. oft-ignored central Jersey. There is a certain boomerang effect though...
I can understand your nostalgia.

message 16: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Hi Jessa.... how are you... You certainly have a lovely corner... I love how you have decorated it with such wonderful books...
I am reading The Warring by Kristen Wells right now. I should be finishing the Salvage the Bones for school but it was a book chosen for and... a... having a hard time getting into it..

message 17: by Jessa (last edited Mar 22, 2013 02:35PM) (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Thanks Denisa! :) And welcome. What's The Warring about?
Is The Salvage Bones fiction?

message 18: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jessa wrote: "Thanks Denisa! :) And welcome. What's The Warring about?
Is The Salvage Bones fiction?"

The warring Soul is like a YA book with a Religious slant. It is a must read for anyone starting college or even high school that might get caught up in drinking, party's an such and it has a great storyline with a lot of conflicts even a few scary ones.
Salvage the Bones is fiction but it is about the Katrina Hurricane. The writer actually lived through his but decided to write it from the voice of a 15 year old. It got really high reviews and won a award but I can't get myself to stay with it.

message 19: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments My college and high school days are long gone (thank goodness lol) but Salvage the Bones sounds interesting. Is the writing not great or, is it kind of too harrowing to read at long intervals...? (I knows that's what I found with The Shock Doctrine.)

message 20: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jessa wrote: "My college and high school days are long gone (thank goodness lol) but Salvage the Bones sounds interesting. Is the writing not great or, is it kind of too harrowing to read at long intervals...? (..."

The story line is good but there are a lot of awkward sentences in it. Some are like 24 words long and then by the time you get to the end it just doesn't make sense. She wrote it as a 15 year old teen but at times the voice of the character is an adult like in reasoning and such. She wrote it as fiction base on truth if that makes sense. I keep trudging on. It may be that since I have to read it for school and couldn't choose my own book it has me at odds. It is for a college class...

message 21: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Hi Jessa... I am back.... hope Easter was a good time for you...Are you reading anything? I have moved on to The View From Penthouse B by Elinor Lipman, I like it so far but I am only in 22 pages so... hope you have a great day

message 22: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Hi Denisa! : )

I'm actually battling a cold + sinusitis and have been for the past 10 days or so. No Easter for me this year, and I've really only been reading free shorts and novellas on Smashwords during the late night hours when my hacking keeps me awake. Mostly romantica and romance stuff, so that I don't feel as guilty about reading when I should be writing lol : )

What's The View from Penthouse B" about? Have you read anything from Lipman before now?

Happy April Fool's Day! =]

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Nothing wrong with that! Sounds like an awesome time (except for the cold)-> are you using Menthol? That really helps sinus

message 24: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jessa wrote: "Hi Denisa! : )

I'm actually battling a cold + sinusitis and have been for the past 10 days or so. No Easter for me this year, and I've really only been reading free shorts and novellas on Smashwor..."

Happy April's Fools to you also...Sorry about feeling under the weather, its awful to be sick during a holiday..
I like short stories... and simple reading at times something light and refreshing..
The View from the Penthouse was actually a pretty good book. No I haven't read anything from Lipman before, this might have been her first I'll have to check. Its a book about sisters.. divorce, loneliness, coping and a new friend and cupcakes. parts are sad and heart grabbing and other parts just made me laugh.. A journey through part of their life I guess. It was a free book from goodreads and I am glad I won it, I enjoyed the book.

message 25: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Ina wrote: "Nothing wrong with that! Sounds like an awesome time (except for the cold)-> are you using Menthol? That really helps sinus"

<----- waving at Ina

message 26: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Ina wrote: "Nothing wrong with that! Sounds like an awesome time (except for the cold)-> are you using Menthol? That really helps sinus"

Hey Ina,
I have cough drops with menthol in them but that's about it. I'm currently on amoxicilin for the infection unf, and it does seem to be helping me get rid of this hacking cough - I swear I've only slept about 4 hours a night on average because of it. The books have certainly been my escape - and kept me sane in the midst of all the aches and pains.

message 27: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Denisa wrote: "Jessa wrote: "Hi Denisa! : )

I'm actually battling a cold + sinusitis and have been for the past 10 days or so. No Easter for me this year, and I've really only been reading free shorts and novell..."

I hadn't had a serious cold in years. I think I'd forgotten how debilitating they can be...how much they take out of you.

Lipman's book sounds like a good read! What's next on your list?

message 28: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Jessa, try and sleep sitting up as much as you can. then the phlegm doesn't reach your throat and then you don't start coughing again and then you don't wake up again.

message 29: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Hi Jessa,
I hope you feel better.

message 30: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jessa wrote: "Ina wrote: "Nothing wrong with that! Sounds like an awesome time (except for the cold)-> are you using Menthol? That really helps sinus"

Hey Ina,
I have cough drops with menthol in them but that's..."

I certainly feel for you and hot tea with lemon always helps... I made homemade chicken noodles last night... the broth is what helps... leaving you some.

message 31: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jessa wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Jessa wrote: "Hi Denisa! : )

I'm actually battling a cold + sinusitis and have been for the past 10 days or so. No Easter for me this year, and I've really only been reading free sh..."

I am also reading coma notes and have Midnight at Marble Ranch close by... with about 20 other books lol...

message 32: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Katherine wrote: "Jessa, try and sleep sitting up as much as you can. then the phlegm doesn't reach your throat and then you don't start coughing again and then you don't wake up again."

sleeping in a recliner always helped my son... he felt as if he was laying down but not all the way...

message 33: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Thank you everyone for the well wishes (Katherine, Jon, Denisa)! And thanks for the broth, Denisa. Along with the tea, I find myself feeling incrementally better as the days pass.

I don't have a recliner, but I have tried sleeping sitting up and it does help. Unf, when I do it for a prolonged period, I end up startling awake as my head tilts toward my lap lol

Hope everyone's enjoying their Spring reading!

message 34: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Reading Rebecca at the moment. So far so good

message 35: by BattyKat (last edited Apr 03, 2013 10:12PM) (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) Bossypants by Tina Fey and Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

I like em both. Outlander is audio, so that is taking me quite a bit longer than normal, but I love listening to the accents! And I can get some yarn projects done. Finished a king size crocheted blanket last night and have picked up a rug I'm making.

message 36: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jessa wrote: "Thank you everyone for the well wishes (Katherine, Jon, Denisa)! And thanks for the broth, Denisa. Along with the tea, I find myself feeling incrementally better as the days pass.

I don't have a r..."

So glad you are starting to feel better. That would be a startling jerk if a person's heads fell like you stated..might try the arm of a couch that is a bit higher then a reg pillow too..

message 37: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jessa!!!

How wonderful to see your corner here, my friend!! It's looking good!

message 38: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Jessa wrote: "Hi Alondra,
Thank you! Not much to say but I'm hoping I can keep my corner 'clean' and tidy lol

You know, I remember a member from another group saying often after the script is bought there's no..."

you would think that the author is kind of like a songwriter in the music industry. the person singing the song is not the person with creative control, the writers and producers are. shouldn't it be the same for authors? i mean, they wrote the book! it is their ideas, emotions and plotting that make the book what it is. ...mmmm

message 39: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jess thought I would stop back by and make sure you recovered well... if not I have some homemade chicken noodles and.. lemon bars.. hope your weekend was great!

message 40: by Ali (new)

Ali | 163 comments Hope you're feeling much better.... Hugs xx

message 41: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jessa wrote: "Hi Denisa! : )

I'm actually battling a cold + sinusitis and have been for the past 10 days or so. No Easter for me this year, and I've really only been reading free shorts and novellas on Smashwor..."

Please get well very soon, Jessa.

message 42: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Its me again... wanted to make sure all is well or getting there... take care..

message 43: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) HAPPY FRIDAY!!

message 44: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments <------------- leaving fresh homemade crackers and peach cream cheese.... enjoy

message 45: by Melissa, Monthly Group Read Moderator (new)

Melissa (buriedubooks1) | 192 comments Mod
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

message 46: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments <--- trying to catch Melissa

message 47: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I haven't heard from you in awhile, Jessa.. Is everything all right? Please PM me when you get a chance.

message 48: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Is everything okay, Jessa? I am really starting to worry..

message 49: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) JELLY BEANS! (magical. instantly makes you feel better.)

/throws some in the room and scampers away/
(said in best Jackalope voice)Fast as fast can be, can't catch me!

message 50: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments hi there... stopping by to say hello and leave some hugs...

« previous 1