Young Writers discussion

Writing Contests > Story Contest March 15-25

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Yay I like using music to write.

message 2: by Isaac (last edited Mar 15, 2013 08:37PM) (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments This is possibly one of the worst things I have ever written.

Ever.

-

The night was easing from the silky black it always wears to a deep blue, easing up into even brighter colors as the minutes passed. She was wide awake, staring out her window as the sky gradually turned into colors of yellow and orange.

She could feel it in her chest. Something beautiful was going to happen. Something that filled her to the fullest extent, making her feel as light as a feather, heart racing with excitement.

Look over to see if her sisters were still asleep, she quietly opened the window and crawled out, dropping with a light thud to the ground. Getting on her feet, she ran over to the tree in her backyard, crawling up it to sit on a branch, arms clutching around the trunk.

In the horizon, she saw it.

The golden peak of the sun was gently making its way over the horizon, spreading light through the land. The plants awoke, flowers rustling their leaves softly as they stretched from a long night’s sleep. Rays bounced off windows of houses down the street, blinding her as she looked at them. Clouds gathered around the sun, round and puffy.

They sailed across the sky, looking like little ships out to explore the world as it was illuminated. She held her breath as one past her tree, stopping in front of it. Hesitantly, she put a finger out to touch it. I felt like the cotton candy her mother had bought her at the fair two months ago; soft and wispy.

Feeling a bit more daring, she moved her feet on to the cloud. They landed on a cushioned surface. She then put her whole body onto it, situating herself as the cloud seem to absorb her, sailing off.

They were speeding away, wind blowing her braids behind her. The breeze felt cool against her face as she studied the ground far below her with fascination. The sun followed behind, darkness suddenly disappearing as they past over them. She heard the sweet cacophony of people yawning and rising, construction workers starting to take their places while children brushed their teeth to get ready for school. Horns honked in lines to get to work, and in other areas, the whole town seemed to sleep even as the sun gave them its warm wake-up call.

She saw the rolling hill, weeds waving merrily at her as she passed. She passed the tops of skyscrapers, a labyrinth of streets crossing through the cities. In other places, there were very little people, and instead miles and miles of plains and animals, their noses wiggling at her in interest. She giggled and shouted her good morning to them as the sunk out of her view.

It was magical, being on top of the world. People were passing beneath her cloud, yet none saw her even though she could see them. Diversity ran loose in the streets, all the different colors and heritages sinking into one large mess of tranquil beauty.

Suddenly the cloud started lifting. She gave a panicked look, not wanting to be torn away from her show. The swarms of people and earth were soon overtaken by a blanket of clouds themselves, and suddenly she was in a whole new universe. She gave whispered phrases of awe as she looked around the wonderland. The sun was still there, although hidden some by the clouds surrounding her. She laughed, the sound of it being blown away by the wind. She wondered if this was what being a bird was like, and she wanted nothing more than to be up there the rest of her life.

She stood up, spinning on the cloud as they continued to soar, the images of the world she had seen fading as this new place took over. She sang and danced, feeling absolutely elated as she did so.

Tripping over her feet, she landed on her back in the clouds, her arms outstretched and palms facing up. She gave a giggle before she closed her eyes, her breathing slowing as the cloud moved around the globe again.

When she awoke, she found herself in her bed. She sat still for a moment, the soft sound of her sisters’ breathing the only thing to be heard. Confused, she pushed herself up to look at her window. It was open, a cool breeze blowing back her curtains.

Getting on her knees, she stuck her head out the window. A small cloud was passing by.

She smiled.

-

Ugh I'm sorry for that. But I've figured out my problem. My mind works in movies, not words. This would've made a great animation if a) I knew how to animate and b) this wasn't a writing contest. :P

message 3: by Sumaiyya (new)

Sumaiyya | 846 comments Oh gosh this is gonna be hard. I have like no sense for music. That little intro is helpful, though ;)

message 4: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments CAN WE JUST HAVE A FILM COMPETITION AND I CAN FIND A WHOLE BUNCH OF ANIMATORS SO I CAN ACTUALLY MAKE MY IDEA SOUND GOOD

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Taylor *checks pocket for film animators*

I'm fresh out. Can you spare some?

message 6: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments As I said in my post, I'm trying to find some myself.

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Dang it...I guess we're searching together.

TO NARNIA!!

message 8: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments YES TO NARNIA WE GO

message 9: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments HOLST <3

message 10: by Poet in the Dark (new)

Poet in the Dark (poetinthedark) | 253 comments Emily wrote: "This is possibly one of the worst things I have ever written.

Ever.

-

The night was easing from the silky black it always wears to a deep blue, easing up into even brighter colors as the minutes..."

I loved it. And I'm not an animator, but I may be able to do a silent comic sort of thing. If you'd want me to try my hand at it, that is. :)

message 11: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Poet in the Dark, the PIXAR girl wrote: "Emily wrote: "This is possibly one of the worst things I have ever written.

Ever.

-

The night was easing from the silky black it always wears to a deep blue, easing up into even brighter colors ..."

That's awesome! :D That would be totally cool.

message 12: by Poet in the Dark (new)

Poet in the Dark (poetinthedark) | 253 comments :D Sweet! I'll start on it soon. :)

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (warpedline) | 105 comments Trying... trying.. trying....

This music sounds so sad! :'(

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (warpedline) | 105 comments Coudln't think of much except a girl crying over a guy (lol), but didn't want to do that, so... here "it" is...*grimaces*

-----------

Hassan stumbled over the path, her head turning wildly to look behind her.
No one was there.
Yet.
Gathering her torn dress in her hands, she desperately clambered up the rocky slope, her shawl whipping in the wind. Her foot slipped, and she lunged forward, heart lurching, grabbing onto a crevice in the rock, her fingers barely holding as her legs came out from under her. She glanced over her shoulder again as she struggled to regain her footing.
She uttered a tiny shriek of fear, going still.
The fog beneath her was swirling, revealing a shadowed figure stepping from the darkness. Her breath caught in her throat.
Please. Please don't look up.
The figure turned, his eyes hidden in shadow but his strong jaw line revealed in the twilight.
Please.
Her fingers slipped.
The rock crumbled, leaving her dangling by three fingers. She clung on desperately - not only to the rock, but to hope, to life.
She wouldn't let him take her.
She slipped again.
Her feet scrabbled for purchase, sending a shower of pebbles trickling down the slope. She held her breath, watching in devastation as they slid down, the rattle echoing off the cliffs around her.
Don't.
He looked up at the sound, and his dark eyes locked with hers.
He could see her, see the fear in her eyes.
Abandoning all sense of stealth, she clawed at the rocks, her legs scrambling.
She was so close.
So close to freedom.
Reaching the top, she shakily set a foot upon the stone.
Just a few more steps, she told herself. Just a few more steps, and he won't ever be able to follow you.
She lifted a foot, just a hand shot out of the darkness and latched onto her leg, dragging her to her knees. She screamed as shadows clouded her vision.
How had he got up here so fast?
She remembered the gruesome session she had seen, the one of the man strapped to the chair with a spike in his chest, the one that had caused her to run away from this man.
She grimaced.
That was how.
Iron resolve spread through her, her anger and revulsion becoming almost tangible. Viciously, she lashed out with her free leg, catching him on the chin.
He hadn't expected her to fight back.
His grip loosened, and she scrambled to her feet, almost sprinting towards the edge of the cliff.
"Hassan!"
His voice cut through the wind screaming in her ears easily, a voice that was deep, husky, a voice that had comforted her and told her that everything was going to be okay.
A voice that whispered her name, over and over, the first time they had kissed.
"Hassan!" his voice rang out again. She reached the edge, and spun to look at him. He stood stock still, only a few paces from her, his tortured eyes pleading with hers.
"It's not what you think." He said, but the wind whipped it away until it was nothing more than a whisper. She shook her head wildly.
"No, Jaden. You lied. You lied to me."
When he didn't refute it, she let out a sob.
He took a step towards her, and she stumbled backwards, away from the man that haunted both her dreams and nightmares.
"Let me explain-" but Hassan took another step backwards. Her feet balanced on the edge of the cliff. His eyes widened as he realised what she was going to do.
"Oh God. Hassan, don't jump. Please. I love you."
But she ignored him, staring down at the stormy sea thousands of feet below.
"I would've." She whispered. Jaden's faced creased in confusion.
"What did you say?"
She turned to him. "I would've come with you." His eyes clouded with pain, and she took one last look at her the man that had been her fiance.
"You can't have me anymore."
She leaned back, and let gravity take her.

message 15: by Everett (CupoJoe) (last edited Mar 16, 2013 10:10PM) (new)

Everett (CupoJoe) M. (cupojoe) | 66 comments Battle of Endor from an Ewoks perspective. Remember to read whilst listening to the music.

The peaceful moon of Endor is mourning today as the great Death Star II shines bright in the sky. Tears run down the furry faces of the Ewoks as they peer into the sky. Will this be the end? Will the forest moon of Endor see another day?

A great battleship covers the view and puts a dark shadow over the Ewok village. Everything seems to be in slow motion. One second the moon is in peril and the next a beam of hope spreads over the Ewoks. The rebels have come to help the Ewoks. Or have they? A funny looking gold man is communicating to the Ewoks. The primitive species does not understand that the strangers have come to help. But they will soon find out.

The warriors of the small Ewok village gather. The wise elders join them as well. The strange gold man tells the Ewoks that they need to fight white suited soldiers to insure survival. The elders come to a quick conclusion, the warriors will fight.

The Ewoks prepare for battle. They are told to set up an ambush at the Empire's base. The Ewoks hide in the surrounding forest and await there calling. The warriors spot the strange white suited men. They are holding strange weapons and speaking a strange language.

The rebel friends are surrounded by the strangers. That's when they got the call. An Ewok blew loudly on a horn and the Ewoks rose from there hiding and fire arrows at the men. The rebels have started fighting to. It is clear that this will be a bloody battle. The empire soldiers fire there blasters at the Ewoks. But the Empire is outnumbered! The Ewoks destroy the Empire's great machines and kill the Empire's warriors.

That night the Ewoks peer into the sky again to witness a mighty explosion. The Empire is no longer.

In the end many are dead. So bravely did the Ewoks fight not only for Endor, but for the entire Galaxy.

Sometimes winning a battle does not matter, but what happens after the battle, matters the most.

message 16: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Everett (CupoJoe) wrote: "Battle of Endor from an Ewoks perspective. Remember to read whilst listening to the music.

The peaceful moon of Endor is mourning today as the great Death Star II shines bright in the sky. Tears r..."

YOU WIN AT LIFE

AFKASKFJASDFLASFJALK;SFJSAL;KFJASLFJ STAR WARS THOUGH

message 17: by Sevania (last edited Mar 18, 2013 05:49PM) (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Okay, here goes. I'd say this a very... Conceptual... Piece. Hopefully it has the effect I'm going for. If not, well, I guess I failed.

Little lives, little world, little known, and yet so much that could be.

Sometimes we think we have come so far. Then we despair when we see our tiny little increment of progress, that baby step made of nothing that won't ever matter in the grand scheme of the Universe.

But it does matter.

Darkness comes in many colors: Midnight blue, shining onyx, dull slate. An empty chalkboard, a monster's lair, the theater just after the curtain falls.

Scattered: (adj.) Without orderly continuity

Help, help, I'm falling, falling, falling through the darkness. The monster's lair.

Help, help, I'm drowning in endless possibility.

At night, borders blur. Colors smooth out into one darkness. Dreams are made and dreams are destroyed. Towers fall, but they could easily be the styrofoam blocks you played with in kindergarten, reaching higher and higher until they dissolved the ceiling and swirled among the stars. At night, there are stars.

Mistakes. "An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." John Fitzgerald Kennedy. Errors, mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. Nobody's perfect.

-"Your eyes, your face, your hands, everything about you is perfect."- So say the lovers, the dancers, the keepers, the laughers. "I love you." So say the dreamers.

Dreams, hopes, ambitions, goals, aspirations, inspirations, more and more and more.

Help, help, I'm flying among the stars. How do I get down?

I am unique. I am different. I am my own person. I am me. If I am one in a million, does that mean there are seven thousand others just like me?

I used to soar, but now I'm stuck in the monster's lair.

We mourn for our fallen expectations. We cry and pull out our hair over our incompetency. We don't matter, we say. But we do.

At night, there are many stars, more than seven thousand stars. We dance in the starlight.

In the day, there is one bright, hopeful star.

message 18: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Whoa that was like so all over the place but I loved it and aklrjkdsajfls

message 19: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Emily wrote: "Whoa that was like so all over the place but I loved it and aklrjkdsajfls"

Lol, yeah. All over the place.

message 20: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Yue [Wonder of living] wrote: "Squee! Entries! You guys are awesome writers.:D"

Mine sucked though bleh :P

message 21: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Emily wrote: "Yue [Wonder of living] wrote: "Squee! Entries! You guys are awesome writers.:D"

Mine sucked though bleh :P"

I beg to differ. That did NOT suck.

message 22: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Sevania wrote: "Emily wrote: "Yue [Wonder of living] wrote: "Squee! Entries! You guys are awesome writers.:D"

Mine sucked though bleh :P"

I beg to differ. That did NOT suck."

Shh you will learn that everything I touch is instantly horrible and that is way Taylor cannot cut off my hands

message 23: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Is there anything you wrote that you like?

message 24: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I think Emily might have touched all of my writing. Bad Emily. XD

message 25: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Oh dear I'm sorry Taylor

message 26: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Sevania wrote: "Is there anything you wrote that you like?"

...Ehhhhhh no.

message 27: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Emily, I really think you need to enter legit contests ASAP. You're crazy talented. Of all the young writers I've met, only two of them really show true control over every word they write, and one of them is you.

message 28: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments You are flattering me with things I do not deserve

message 29: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (warpedline) | 105 comments lolz I love all the *cough cough* modesty going on here :)

message 30: by Sevania (last edited Mar 18, 2013 11:09PM) (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Oh, me too. I'm watching you guys from afar >:)

message 31: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I'm sorry I have a really fragile self-esteem especially about my writing

message 32: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments You don't have to:( It is really good

message 33: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Some of the most talented people do, which is why I am super arrogant, because I have no talent. :P

message 34: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments BUT I AM NOT TALENTED

message 35: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Stoooooopppppppp iiiiittttttttt! You are!

Everett (CupoJoe) M. (cupojoe) | 66 comments I'm to lazy to be talented

message 37: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Emily, send me a piece of writing. Anything you've written recently. And I will prove to you, with heavy annotation, that you are talented. That's what I'm spending all my writing time doing these days -- taking pieces of writing and showing people what they do and don't do well. I'm darn good at it.

Let me prove you wrong.

message 38: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I'll send you something in the morning when I'm not on my iPod. Cool?

message 39: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Really cool. I might not be able to get to it until next week anyway.

message 40: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Yaaaaaay!

message 41: by Sevania (last edited Mar 22, 2013 03:06PM) (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments And then will another contest be put up?

message 42: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Cool!

message 43: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Who'll run that one?

Everett (CupoJoe) M. (cupojoe) | 66 comments Who is the judge for this contest?

message 45: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I nominate Holden!

message 46: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments But the judge shouldn't enter...

message 47: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments She means this contest.

message 48: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments What? I'm confused.

message 49: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments She's meaning he has to enter this contest to run the next.

message 50: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Oh. Okay, I understand :P

« previous 1