The Curious Bibliophile discussion

The Fault in Our Stars
This topic is about The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars: Thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin Burba | 37 comments Mod
I've been pretty vocal about my feelings re: this book on Facebook and such.

I loved it. It felt very honest. I love Hazel. It was great to see a main character who was smart, perceptive, and wickedly funny.

I particularly love that this is a YA book. Several years ago, I worked for Borders, running the children/YA section. SO many of the books that come out follow the "Gossip Girl" mold: elite, rich popular girls and the dramatic ups and downs in their lives. This is a really big issue for me. I know that, when I was young, I saw girls in literature as a template on how to behave. I was surrounded by "A Wrinkle in Time", "Number the Stars", "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle", "The Witch of Blackbird Pond": novels with strong female leads. I hate that now, even books are trending away from that.

Then in comes Hazel Grace, with her imperfect body and her face puffy from the steroids, who prefers philosophical literature to hanging out at the mall with friends, who earnestly grapples with death and love and friendship, but in a way that is astute and funny rather than tragic and emotionally manipulative.

Adolescence is a time when people are trying to figure out who they are and how they should relate to the world. Instead of allowing kids to read books that model such socially and emotionally destructive behavior, it's so important that we give them characters like Hazel Grace to relate to.

Okay, I'm off my soap box.
But I loved this book.

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Robinson | 14 comments Mod
Just finished this book. YES to everything that Erin says above. This feels like an honest book - a fairly important book - while also being an extremely enjoyable book. I miss Hazel and Augustus already.

The audio book was really well read, in case you are thinking of going that route.