Haruki Murakami fans discussion

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki... > BREAKING NEWS: "Colorless Tasaki Tsukuru and the Year of His Pilgrimage"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Al Kharboush (mkk911) | 10 comments This is the title of Murakami's new novel, which is coming out on the 12th of April (this the Japanese version of course, where the English will come out at least after one year). The title isn't the official English title yet, it's just a translation of the Japanese one.

Honestly, I'm so excited for this and can't wait for the English version. From the title, it sounds amazing!

message 2: by Matilda (new)

Matilda (matilda80) | 3 comments Thanks for the update! Sounds fascinating :)

message 3: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Al Kharboush (mkk911) | 10 comments Matilda wrote: "Thanks for the update! Sounds fascinating :)"

You're welcome. ^_^

message 4: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Al Kharboush (mkk911) | 10 comments And here's another update:

"Since '1Q84' was a story somewhat like a roller coaster, I wanted to write something different. But I didn't know what it would be like until I actually started writing."

— Haruki Murakami on his new novel "色彩を持たない多崎つくると、彼の巡礼の年 (Colorblind Tasaki Tsukuru and the Year of His Pilgrimage)"

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The English translation of the title is not official, by the way. Just a literal translation by us (http://www.haruki-murakami.com).

message 6: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 3 comments Colorless or colorblind?
Anyway, I'm so excited! Thanks for the new info :-)

message 7: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Al Kharboush (mkk911) | 10 comments Mikey wrote: "The English translation of the title is not official, by the way. Just a literal translation by us (http://www.haruki-murakami.com)."

If you go back and actually read my post, you'll find out that I've already mentioned this.

message 8: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Al Kharboush (mkk911) | 10 comments Martini wrote: "Colorless or colorblind?
Anyway, I'm so excited! Thanks for the new info :-)"

I'm excited and sad and the same time. Excited because it's a new Murakami! Sad because it won't be released for at least a year.. AT LEAST!

message 9: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 3 comments I hope it will be no more than a year. They were able to publish the German edition of 1Q84 in a little bit less than a year, so I'm positive that they'll be able to do it again.

Can't wait!

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 15, 2013 04:55PM) (new)

Martini wrote: "I hope it will be no more than a year. They were able to publish the German edition of 1Q84 in a little bit less than a year, so I'm positive that they'll be able to do it again.

Can't wait!"

Not quite, only the first two books really. We had to wait for the concluding third volume just as long as English readers, do you remember? Ursula Gräfe is still very quick with her translations though so hopefully we won't have to wait forever.

Mohammed wrote: "Mikey wrote: "The English translation of the title is not official, by the way. Just a literal translation by us (http://www.haruki-murakami.com)."

If you go back and actually read my post, you'll..."

Calm down bro, I'm the guy who answered your questions on Facebook and kinda read over the starting post, sorry. Goodreads' board/forum function doesn't have the clearest design. Just thought I'd mention it so people wouldn't take the title for verified (especially since there are still some uncertainties regarding how to translate a certain word).

Besides, it's always neat to provide a source to information like that. You're welcome.

message 11: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Al Kharboush (mkk911) | 10 comments Mikey wrote: "Martini wrote: "I hope it will be no more than a year. They were able to publish the German edition of 1Q84 in a little bit less than a year, so I'm positive that they'll be able to do it again.

C..."

Yeah, sorry man. You're right.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick | 21 comments Ok, so this is 376 pages in the Japanese edition. Book 1 of 1Q84 was 554. This seems to be more along the length of Sputnik Sweetheart (328).

A quicker translation wouldn't be out of the question....

message 13: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Al Kharboush (mkk911) | 10 comments Nick wrote: "Ok, so this is 376 pages in the Japanese edition. Book 1 of 1Q84 was 554. This seems to be more along the length of Sputnik Sweetheart (328).

A quicker translation wouldn't be out of the question...."

Oh, that's great news, for I thought it will be something like After Dark.

message 14: by Elsje (new)

Elsje (elsje_leest) | 9 comments Since the Dutch translation of 1q84 was published way before the English translation, I hope that we Dutch readers will be able to enjoy the Pilgrimage this summer :-D (no news on the website of the Dutch publisher however...)

message 15: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 4 comments I can't wait for his new book!!! Sounds very interesting (^Δ^)...but I'm sure the translated version would be here in at least a year-and-a-half or two years...(-_-)...Sometimes I fell like I live at the End of the world....hahahah...(>_<)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Birce wrote: "According to the post on Murakami's official fan page on Facebook, the book's English name is 'The Faded Tsukuru Tasaki and Year Of His Pilgrimage'."

I think they are just using the translation the Japan Daily Press came up with, i.e. it's nothing official. It seems like the English title is still in debate; the translator is not allowed to talk about it, though.

message 17: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Marshall | 8 comments I hope that they announce something about translation soon, it is killing me to wait for more!

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick | 21 comments It's out!

I'm jealous.

message 19: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 4 comments Me too...(T_T) It's probably going to be published in my country by the time I finish law school...(-_-)

message 20: by Rifky (new)

Rifky | 3 comments Good to hear

message 21: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursulafs) | 4 comments When I read the news on my way to campus,I felt really happy! A new Murakami, and the title is quite fascinating. Story about colorless (or colorblind) guy. Hardly can't wait.

message 22: by Martijn (new)

Martijn | 1 comments After reading this review, now I really can't wait for it to become available in English: http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_jap...

message 23: by Jeffrey (last edited Apr 14, 2013 08:49PM) (new)

Jeffrey | 80 comments Martijn wrote: "After reading this review, now I really can't wait for it to become available in English: http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_jap..."

Thanks for the link, it sounds interesting. I had such an urge to read Murakami that I started reading the windup bird chronicle again, and then put windup bird on pause to read dance dance dance. It will be good to have some new Murakami to read.

message 24: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Marshall | 8 comments I've always thought that reviews and plot summaries never really did the actual book justice, in the case of Murakami. It's killing me having to wait for a translation to really find out what it's about.

If there were an unofficial translation released, would you guys read it?

message 25: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 80 comments Belinda wrote:
If there were an unofficial translation released, would you guys read it?

Yes

message 26: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Marshall | 8 comments I'm really not sure if I would, knowing that he works closely with his translators..

message 27: by Elsje (new)

Elsje (elsje_leest) | 9 comments That depends on the language the book would be translated into ;-) My Chinese is not as good as I would like it to be ;-)))

message 28: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 80 comments Naturally I would read the official translation when it becomes available, but it would be tough to resist an early peek via an unofficial translation.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

The anticipation alone, is driving me crazy. It seems like every book, now that he's well known takes so much longer. The high demand from his success is really pushing the clock! I remember when he was a coffee house author, and now he's a legend. Really, can't wait!

message 30: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra | 5 comments Buzzing for it!!!! He is the best author I've read. Real connection to the books.

message 31: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Marshall | 8 comments http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_jap...

A sort of translation date!!!

message 32: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 80 comments Thanks for the link!

message 33: by Natasa (new)

Natasa | 26 comments Belinda wrote: "http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_jap...

A sort of translation date!!!"

Thank you for the link! :)

message 34: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 39 comments Yes, thanks for the link! Let the count down begin - I can't wait.

message 35: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 3 comments The release date of the German edition, "Die Pilgerjahre des farblosen Herrn Tazaki", has just been announced: it will be published on the 10th of January 2014.

Yay! :-)

message 36: by Carola (new)

Carola (carola-) Some more news: A Dutch magazine is organising a Murakami festival in Amsterdam on January 11th. Basically one big book club all over Amsterdam (15 different locations at the same time) Attendees also receive the Dutch translation of the book one month before its release date. Pretty cool! More info:
http://www.murakamifest.nl/
(Obviously I've got tickets XD)

message 37: by Nacho (new)

Nacho | 1 comments Oh Carola, it sound so nice, thanks for the update!

message 38: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra | 5 comments omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Murakami Festival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In Amsterdam!!!!!!!! Thank you Universe!

message 39: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (5eyedbookworm) | 1 comments August 12, 2014 - Mark the date! ;)
http://www.themalaymailonline.com/rea...

message 40: by Juan Luis (new)

Juan Luis (barletti) | 5 comments fantastic!

message 41: by Ambroz (new)

Ambroz | 3 comments Elsje wrote: That depends on the language the book would be translated into ;-) My Chinese is not as good as I would like it to be ;-)))

Would not help even if you were completely fluent in Chinese, cause his books are written in JAPANESE!

message 42: by Phil (new)

Phil (pdh1978) | 7 comments Amazon UK are showing a book cover now: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...
And there's a date of 12 Aug 2014
I think the cover looks pretty awful compared to the other editions I've seen

message 43: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 41 comments Wow that cover! Not the best one.

message 44: by John (new)

John (johnred) | 48 comments I saw that earlier today too. Yeah, that is a terrible cover.

message 45: by Phil (new)

Phil (pdh1978) | 7 comments Okay, so the UK edition is much nicer looking… http://www.vintage-books.co.uk/murakami/ :)

message 46: by John (new)

John (johnred) | 48 comments Meh...the UK edition is a BIT nicer looking. The Japanese edition is still the best. And none of them are as good as a Chipp Kidd cover :)

message 47: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Martin | 6 comments Ahh, the UK cover is great! That American cover is atrocious... though all of murakami's US covers have been pretty shit. Just our luck~

message 48: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 41 comments Ha ha not true ^^. The US covers are not so bad.

message 49: by John (new)

John (johnred) | 48 comments Yeah, I can't remember ever seeing a bad Murakami cover in the US until this one. Unless you count those "minimalist" covers, but I don't think they were ever actually published.

message 50: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 39 comments The US cover is much closer to the Japanese cover. I don't know how colorless 'Colorless Tsukuru' will be as a person but it could be symbolic - the US & Japanese covers are like scattered prisms of color against a plain background.

« previous 1