Goodreads All Sorts discussion

Member's Corners > Jean's bookworm corner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments This is the start to my sharing of books here. Am looking forward to it, books have always been one of my passions. As an only child, they have been my friends, solace, fun, laugh.....and so on. My mother taught me the love of books and I am very thankful for that, something I will always be grateful for. You can explore the world without spending a fortune. Yes, I would prefer to see for myself, but failing that....books are fine for now.

As a child I can remember jumping up and down on the bed going "read to meeeee.....read to meeeee" until my gran stopped reading her book to read to me. I must have been so painful. Think they were more grateful than I was when I learnt to read for myself. My deal with myself is that I work on work days, hand work in front of the TV, and read my heart out in bed or on non-work days. Think that's a fair deal.

Would love to know how many books I've read so far. Have Kobo on my iPad so have been reading up a storm. Since starting I've completed 22 books, not sure when they started counting from though.

Busy with Dean Koontz's Prodigal Son and am half way through. He writes fantastic stories. He's always managed to make my blood run cold. Personally I don't find Stephen King books scary, the movies have me climbing up the walls. Koontz reminds me of Hitchcock, something simple made scary.

Am so hoping I'll be meeting some fellow bookworms here, find new authors, and new friends. I find that my non-bookworm friends do not understand the feel and thrill of walking into a bookstore. Or the need to share the finding of a new author. Or of talking about books, for example anyone who has read The Wheel of Time will know "the chicken who is not a chicken". Read that about 5 years ago and I still laugh about that with a fellow bookworm.

To the reading future!!!!

message 2: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Hi Kyle. Thanks for dropping by for a look see. Am busy catching up on everyone's corner and having great fun.

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Kyle, I was impressed by your bookshelves. When I moved I got rid of all my books as I had an e-reader. When I figure out how to put pics on here, I'll bore everyone with my dogs, books, movies and music.

After I caught up with the corners I'm going to investigate all the books. May find some gems among them.

Thanks for the invite, and I'll pop around with some muffins to share with whom ever is around.

message 4: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments I'll bring Blueberry for you, as long as you keep them. Prefer savory and chocolate muffins. Nothing better than sitting down over a cup of coffee/tea and swapping a story or two. Oh, and some good books.

Will hold you to searching your books. Was told once you can tell a lot about a person by the books they read. Not too sure about that one, have an eclectic taste, so not too sure if that makes me more than a bit odd.

message 5: by Jack, Founder (new)

Jack (jack_) | 2831 comments Mod
Hi Jean, how's it going?

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Hi Jack. Cool bananas thanks. Have to say thanks for starting this group off. Have a feeling I'll be looking up bookshelves for a bit.

Wishing you and yours a good weekend.

message 7: by Jack, Founder (new)

Thanks Jean. I haven't been around much lately but I'll hopefully be picking a co-moderator soon.

message 8: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Well.....it's a Friday evening....have completed my work tasks for the week....need a reward. Mmmm....think reading the weekend away while on the veranda sounds like an awesome reward. Have quite a few books on my shelves that I've bought but haven't read yet, and others that I would like to re-read.

Have a busy week ahead work wise next week, a few deadlines that need to be adhered too. Another reason to read the weekend away.

May take myself to movies on Sunday, depends on what's on and the weather. So cool to have weekends to myself again, and not devoted to work.

Happy reading to everyone

message 9: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments @Jack - know what it's like to busy and have your time accounted for. You'll get there, just remember to make time for the people you care about, that is always rule #1. Learnt that one the hard way.

message 10: by Jack, Founder (new)

That's always my number one rule. :)

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Mine is 'Don't Talk About Goodreads'
I usually can't help it and it costs me social points :(

message 12: by Dalu (new)

Dalu  | 179 comments Jon wrote: "Mine is 'Don't Talk About Goodreads'
I usually can't help it and it costs me social points :("

Mt friends are sick and tired of me talking about my laterst reads ahahah

message 13: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments @Jon & Dalu- you guys had me giggling this morning. Know what you mean, I see people's eyes glaze over when I start with books and authors. Only people who know me really well know how much of a bookworm I am. The best thing about my iPad, is everyone thinks I work "all" the time, when in fact I pinch an hour or so during the work day to read. *naughty giggle

message 14: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Jean wrote: "Am so hoping I'll be meeting some fellow bookworms here, find new authors, and new friends. I find that my non-bookworm friends do not understand the feel and thrill of walking into a bookstore. Or the need to share the finding of a new author.."

I could not have said that better myself. Non-readers just have no clue, and i feel sorry for them. The thrill of walking in a UBS and roaming all of those shelves of books... I must look at absolutely every book, even though I may not even read that particular genre. My favorite chain bookstore has always been Barnes & Noble, because they seem to have clued in to how readers think; with chairs tucked into corners, look-up kiosks, coffee brewing and a section in the back for kids... which actually works. :D

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments Hi Jean. I feel you with the love books. I am the exact same way. I used to read to my daughters every day when they were younger. You would think they loved books. Well, they do but not as much as I do. LOL. But because of my love for books, the were early readers. That I made sure of.

But I look forward to conversing with you here on GR. There are some great people here. Enjoy

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments When my girls get a book they like, they will not stop reading it until its done - in one sitting. My oldest tackled and loved Dante's Inferno. She likes mostly manga, graphic novels, and deep thinking, philosophical books. My youngest like teeny, girlie, and animal series books.

message 17: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Alondra wrote: "Jean wrote: "Am so hoping I'll be meeting some fellow bookworms here, find new authors, and new friends. I find that my non-bookworm friends do not understand the feel and thrill of walking into a ..."

Hi there. Unfortunately we don't have a Barnes and Noble here. Mine is Estorol Books and Exclisive Books. They used to have a Seattle Coffee Shop with the meanest hot chocolate. Now there are only a few chairs. Which is sad I think, as to sit in a place surrounded by books and read away.....bliss. You know I have haunted book shops since a child and have never met a new friend in one. Lol....that's quite ironic I think.

message 18: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Veronica wrote: "Hi Jean. I feel you with the love books. I am the exact same way. I used to read to my daughters every day when they were younger. You would think they loved books. Well, they do but not as much as..."

Hi Veronica. Good to hear that you are teaching your children. Don't worry that they don't read as much now, I went through a stage of reading "comics". My Mum made sure I read the Mandy's and Tammy's from UK. From there I started reading books again. The love of books, was the best gift my mother ever gave me.

message 19: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Hey everyone! I'm also instilling the love of reading in my oldest son. He's now a book lover. He loves to be read to at bed time. My wife and I are book lovers, and we want our children to have th..."

Hey there Kyle. Good to hear you are teaching him. It opens your mind to all sorts of ideas. As old as I am, I still enjoy being read too. To spoil myself I sometimes get audio books from the library, and listen while I do some kind of handwork. A book lover will always love books.

message 20: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Veronica wrote: "When my girls get a book they like, they will not stop reading it until its done - in one sitting. My oldest tackled and loved Dante's Inferno. She likes mostly manga, graphic novels, and deep thin..."

Hi again. I've never read Dante, perhaps I should think about it. Your daughters sound like my Mum, she couldn't put the book down until it was finished. I still can, thank goodness, otherwise there would be days I wouldn't sleep at all. When I picked up The Passenger, I couldn't put it down until it was done, then promptly bought The Twelve and devoured that too. It was over Dec so I had an excuse to read flat out. It was great, as I don't get to do that too often as I usually have deadlines.

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments You know I hate when I get a good book/series and its so good, I can't read another one for awhile. LOL

message 22: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I share your pain. I am waiting for the last of the Discovery of Witches trilogy. I thought it would be out by now. I have sworn that I will not read another one like that until all books are out. Both the Fallen series and Beautiful Creatures were out, and I would read them one right after the other.

message 23: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Veronica wrote: "You know I hate when I get a good book/series and its so good, I can't read another one for awhile. LOL"

Lol, hear you. My worst is when you start a trilogy/series, get hooked, then get to a point where you have to wait for the author to hurry up and finish. Found that with Peter F Hamilton's Void series. Good story, had to wait forever for him to finish it. Hee hee

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments Exactly.. This is how I feel with the Game of Throne series. Im up to book 5. But I dont want to read it because I know the 6th book will not be out for awhile

message 25: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Veronica wrote: "Exactly.. This is how I feel with the Game of Throne series. Im up to book 5. But I dont want to read it because I know the 6th book will not be out for awhile"

That was a good series. Just feel there are lots of holes that need plugging. Couldn't stop reading those either. Because I spend so much on books, my rule is I'm no allowed to spend more than R100 on an ebook. With GoT, and Justin Cronin.....I went against that rule so that could read the next one. Bad of me I know. Good reading though....... *cheeky grin

message 26: by Alondra (last edited Mar 17, 2013 12:55PM) (new)

Alondra Miller Jean wrote: ".... surrounded by books and read away.....bliss. You know I have haunted book shops since a child and have never met a new friend in one. Lol....that's quite ironic I think."

That is ironic. i think readers can be such loners at times, because we know what we want and what our thoughts are. When you go to a bookstore the employees have no idea what you're talking about, much less, recommend something. I went to one B&N, and they suggested something to me and it was a great rec. That is rare indeed. :O

message 27: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Alondra wrote: "Jean wrote: ".... surrounded by books and read away.....bliss. You know I have haunted book shops since a child and have never met a new friend in one. Lol....that's quite ironic I think."

That is..."

You are so right. Last time I took myself away on holiday, 2003, I remember sitting in the hotel bar reading my book and the strange looks I was getting. You'd think people have never seen a book before, let alone a reader of said books. Sometimes wish I could "show" people what it's like reading a good book.

A few years ago we had a study done here, it came out that by 2017, the illiteracy rate in SA will be around 70 something %. That just about broke my heart. How sad, not being able to read. The wealth of knowledge not being shared.

message 28: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Am hoping to finish Dean Koontz's Prodigal Son today. Am a huge fan of his and enjoy the way he writes.

Looking at my Kobo stats, I see that I've only read 9% of my library. So.....no more buying books, I must finish what's in my library first. Naturally it would mean re-reading my favorite books again, that goes without saying. *naughty giggle

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments I said the same thing about book buying. But it keeps calling me. LOL

message 30: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments You know, Jean, I feel the same way about King's books. Much scarier on film than on paper IMHO.

Love your corner! :)

message 31: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Jean wrote: "You are so right. Last time I took myself away on holiday, 2003, I remember sitting in the hotel bar reading my book and the strange looks I was getting. You'd think people have never seen a book before, let alone a reader of said books...."

..and they still do that today in 2012. when i sit in the lunchroom at work with a book in my face, people start talking to me and asking me questions, and of course the questions have nothing to do with the book. It is like the book isn't even there. Or worse yet, they pull out their stupid cell phones to show me stupid pictures... ugh!!!

message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments Alondra wrote: "Jean wrote: "You are so right. Last time I took myself away on holiday, 2003, I remember sitting in the hotel bar reading my book and the strange looks I was getting. You'd think people have never ..."

Oh God! I hate that. I dont get that. A lot of times I have to go outside to a restaurant or sit in a park with my lunch when its warm.

message 33: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Veronica wrote: "Oh God! I hate that. I dont get that. A lot of times I have to go outside to a restaurant or sit in a park with my lunch when its warm
..."

I may have to... or go to my car, like i used to do. :O

message 34: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments You guys had me laughing. It is so true. At least with the iPad people think you're working and leave you alone. My best is a cold winters day, under the blankies, with someone to bring you coffee on demand, and a good thick book.

Have never liked thin books, even as a child. The thicker the better. Probably why I enjoy Peter F Hamilton so much. When it ends I still get upset as I feel it could've carried on a bit more.

I do the picture on the phone thing, so I can't really say much in that front. Am lucky in that when I want to be alone and read, I do. People stare, but on the whole they leave me alone. On the whole, the only ones that don't are Capricorns, and I've learnt to close the book, listen intently and excuse myself after a few minutes. Why Capricorns I have no idea, when I ask their birthdate, 90% of the time they turn out to be Capricorns.

In all honesty, they are only trying to be friendly. For some reason people think that readers are lonely, I've found. Once at work I got so involved in my lunch time reading that I didn't hear my boss calling me until he knocked on my desk. Then I nearly died of fright. After that I did crosswords and read magazines at work. Felt like such an idiot.

Didn't finish Prodigal Son this weekend, but that's ok as I had a great relaxing one anyway.

Wishing all of you a gentle, productive week ahead

message 35: by Jack, Founder (new)

Well, I'm Capricorn, but I think I'd be in the other 10%. Lol

message 36: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Jack wrote: "Well, I'm Capricorn, but I think I'd be in the other 10%. Lol"

Lol. Well it's nice to meet a non-pushy Capricorn. You're welcome anytime if you leave me read. My friends all know, if I'm reading ask me if I'd like some company first before parking off on the chair near me.

message 37: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Jean wrote: "This is the start to my sharing of books here. Am looking forward to it, books have always been one of my passions. As an only child, they have been my friends, solace, fun, laugh.....and so on...."

<------ waving at Jean.... Hi there its wonderful to meet you.. I adore your corner, you have decorated so wonderfully... I always thoughts book shelf were the best home decor..
I know what you mean about friends that do not understand a reader. My husband bought me a kindle in hopes I wouldn't buy as many books... trouble is... I am known to do both read the kindle and still buy books. lol and if I read one on the kindle I like,.... yep I but it for my library.
Have you set a reading challenge yet?
Mine is 208 books this year I think I am on 42.. Any way... glad to see you here with us..

message 38: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments peeps? looking for baby chicks...

message 39: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Denisa wrote: "Jean wrote: "This is the start to my sharing of books here. Am looking forward to it, books have always been one of my passions. As an only child, they have been my friends, solace, fun, laugh....."

Hi Denisa

Thanks for the visit. I do read the occasional physical book, but do tend to read more ebooks. Had too many books, which at the end of the day, cost a fortune and there isn't much value to them. Unless you buy first editions and don't read them. Love my books too much not to read them. Last night I couldn't sleep again, so I read until after 03:00. Good companions are books.

message 40: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Hi peeps. How're tricks?"

Cool bananas, thanks. How you?

message 41: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments My winge for the day. It's Human Rights Day tomorrow, and the party started here around Noon. Going to be a veeeeeery long and LOUD weekend. Last year the party lasted 2 weeks.

message 42: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Denisa wrote: "Jean wrote: "This is the start to my sharing of books here. Am looking forward to it, books have always been one of my passions. As an only child, they have been my friends, solace, fun, laugh....."

Reading Challenge. I set myself 100 books, but that may need to be revisited halfway through the year. I am supposed to be working on my new blankie for this winter, which I work on while watching my stories on TV. Do catch myself reading when I'm supposed to be crocheting.

Am a bad bookworm. My ex husband didn't allow me to read, I wasn't supposed to "do nothing". Never mind buy books. I used to buy and leave them at my folks and they would bring them to me as a "present". Don't think he was that fooled, as I used to get not trouble anyway. So I got into the habit of going to bed "early" so that I could read.

message 43: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments Jean wrote: "You guys had me laughing. It is so true. At least with the iPad people think you're working and leave you alone. My best is a cold winters day, under the blankies, with someone to bring you coff..."

Hmmm. I am on the cusp of Capricorn and Aquarious..But consider myself an Aquarious. Most people know I march to different drummer so they dont think Im a loner or weird. They think I'm being Veronica. LOL

I usually read with my Ipad. But that doesnt stop people from talking to me. smh

message 44: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 271 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Denisa wrote: "peeps? looking for baby chicks..."

I dig chicks of all sizes.:)"

Hmmm.. Oh. LOL

message 45: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Veronica wrote: "Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Denisa wrote: "peeps? looking for baby chicks..."

I dig chicks of all sizes.:)"

Hmmm.. Oh. LOL"

You guys are funny

message 46: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 14 comments I'm new to this group. I like true crime, horror, dean koontz and stephen king.

message 47: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Sonya wrote: "I'm new to this group. I like true crime, horror, dean koontz and stephen king."

Welcome Sonya. Please feel free to browse my books. I love Dean Koontz. He frightens the heck out of me. Have you read any of James Herbert's books? He's just as scary. To be honest I don't find Stephen King scary. The movies get me, not the books. Perhaps I read the wrong one.

message 48: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Hi jean. So many books to read and so little time. I have had to ban myself from the bookstore. I never leave with just one

message 49: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Jean wrote: "You guys had me laughing. It is so true. At least with the iPad people think you're working and leave you alone. My best is a cold winters day, under the blankies, with someone to bring you coff..."

mmm... the Quiet Introvert, maybe ;)

everyone thinks readers are weird, unsociable, lonely individuals. it probably seems like i am, because as soon as everyone starts rattling off at the mouth, i leave. i don't mean to be rude, but i tell them it is just too noisy for me to read... exit, stage left! :D

message 50: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Katherine wrote: "Hi jean. So many books to read and so little time. I have had to ban myself from the bookstore. I never leave with just one"

Lol, so have I. Cannot go into a bookstore if I have money on me. So I just don't go. The problem comes that you can buy online, which I have to watch myself. There are days that I think "to he'll with that" and buy more than I should. Per Kobo, I have only read 9% of my library, so my aim is to read them all, as well as re-read a few I've read already. Then buy more books. Knowing me, I'll save and buy stacks when I get there.

« previous 1