Saxton B. Library Reads - Columbia, CT discussion

Men vs. Women Authors

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Saxton B. Little Staff | 120 comments Mod
This past Wednesday, Ann Kingman of Books On The Nightstand raised the topic of 2012 VIDA COUNT. VIDA's mission states "VIDA seeks to explore critical and cultural perceptions of writing by women through meaningful conversation and the exchange of ideas among existing and emerging literary communities." Each year they do a count of men vs. women in the book reviews. VIDA maintains that women get short-shifted by the publications and males get more press.

I would agree with BOTNS that the issue is more complicated and less black and white than a determined effort by publications, reviewers and publishers to not give women their due. Yet, you've got to wonder. At Saxton B. we make a great effort to purchase an blend of genres, fiction and non-fiction and representation from both sexes. We are fortunate to have a generous donation from First Selectwoman Carmen Vance that is geared to purchasing women's literature and issues.

Do you have any thoughts on this interesting topic? Do you feel women get no respect in the book world?

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Even though I am an avid reader, and a feminist, I do not notice, or care, what the gender of the author is. I have seen this topic before and have not been compelled by it yet. Until I see better evidence, I maintain that a good book is a good book, no matter who wrote it.

Saxton B. Little Staff | 120 comments Mod
Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Even though I am an avid reader, and a feminist, I do not notice, or care, what the gender of the author is. I have seen this topic before and have not been compelled by it yet. Until I see bette..."

Great attitude!