Urban Fantasy series' discussion

General > Suburban or rural fantasy?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 23 comments Still trying to wrap my head around what is considered urban fantasy. I wrote a novel that i would have calle modern fantasy, or science fantasy but was told it was urban. That didn't make sense as almost none of it took place n an rban enviroment. It started and finished in a rural setting, with a brief foray into the suburbs

Does urban mean more than what i think it does?

message 2: by K. (new)

K. | 95 comments I looked it up since I wasn't exactly sure what it meant either and this is what Wikipedia gave me: Urban fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Many urban fantasies are set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. However, the stories can take place in historical, modern, or futuristic periods, as well as fictional settings. The prerequisite is that they must be primarily set in a city. If your novel was mainly in a rural setting, then you may just need to ask the person who classified it (as urban) to distinguish what urban means.

message 3: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Larrieu (ajlarrieu) The urban fantasy label has gotten confusing, I think. We don't seem to have a good name for books with paranormal/supernatural creatures that aren't high fantasy and don't fit the paranormal romance mold. Urban fantasy became a sort of catch-all, but it doesn't make sense for books with rural settings. I've heard people use "low fantasy" and "paranormal fantasy." I'm starting to like "supernatural fiction" (analogous to "science fiction"), but I'm not sure that works, either.

message 4: by Travis (new)

Travis Luedke (twluedke) | 7 comments I kinda thought it all fit under the heading of Contemporary Fantasy or Paranormal.

Although, technically, I write Urban Fantasy, I can also call it paranormal thriller. But my stories are not centered around the countryside, its all metropolitan.

As for the rest, it kinda gets lumped into Fantasy, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy or Contemporary Fantasy.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (evilpoptartarmy) | 2 comments I think of urban fantasy as a story in which preternatural creatures exist in our modern world.

Though I would put books in rural environments in a separate category.

Until recently, all "urban fantasy" that I've read has taken place in cities. I didn't even think authors were interested in writing a story about werewolves living in the woods far away from cities until now.