American Historical Fiction discussion

Fiction based on an Author's Ancestors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments I am interested in discovering works of fiction based on the author's family history, so I just created a new Listopia list called, Fiction Based on the Author's Ancestors. Please add your favorite reads of this type. Thanks in advance. B.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaraannewaite) | 10 comments Interesting, will have to follow that discussion. I wrote a memoir taken from my grandmother's diary and letters that many have enjoyed. Some have mentioned that they wish I had written it as a novel. The advantage I have found in taking it in my Grandmother's own words is then it became "interpretive history." Because it is interpretive history I have found gift shops that carry that sort of book that would not be interested if it were a novel. I have two National Parks in Arizona that have purchased (over the last year) 520 copies. For me it worked out that I published "Elsie-Arizona Teacher 1913-1916" 4 months before Arizona's Centennial celebration of becoming a state in 1912. So perhaps that helped me locate 24 locations in Arizona that carry my book. I have sold many more myself in those AZ locations than I have sold on Amazon. So sometimes "interpretive history" non-fiction has a market better than telling family history as a novel. I did have the advantage that Elsie was a writer and had saved her diary and many of her letters from that time period. I am working on a sequel telling of her years of living on an apple ranch in the mountains after her marriage in 1916. This has been so much fun and profitable as well.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaraannewaite) | 10 comments Bernice, I forgot to give you my website that has an excerpt from the book as well as about 40 additional "tidbits" and vintage photos. It is www.BarbaraAnneWaite.com. in case it interests you.

message 4: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Barbara,
Great info you shared about your writing/selling experience. Maybe some readers would appreciate a twin list of Nonfiction based on an Author's Ancestors? I will give your site a look. B.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaraannewaite) | 10 comments Thanks Bernice. I ordered "The Luck of the Weissensteiners" based on your review. Will write a review myself when I finish reading. I particularly enjoy writing reviews for books that have recently come out and have few reviews. I am in awe of 176 reviews for "Elsie" and treasure most of them. My favorite was from a gal 103 that read on kindle and skyped her review to her daughter. She had taught in the same school as Elsie and loved the book because of the memoies it gave her.

message 6: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments I know what you mean, Barbara. I gave a copy of my book to a woman in Maine who turned 100 this year and I received a handwritten thankyou note, in which she told me she read my book in an afternoon, just like a youngster. One other favorite review, on Amazon, came from a mother in Zimbabwe whose 11-year-old daughter read and loved the eBook, then wrote a book report on it! I am feeling the love from both sides of the age spectrum. Maybe you are seeing the same effect?
B.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaraannewaite) | 10 comments I looked for your book as an e-book. Didn't see it on Amazon. I would love to read it. I have been so thankful for the "surprise" of having readers from a number of foreign countries and the additional surprise of having men readers that seem to have enjoyed Elsie's letters & diary. The phenomonon of the negative reviews following giving away 20,000 e-copies was unexpected. Thankful I too have had appreciative readers from both sides of the age spectrum. I had one reader (who is my age, 65) that experienced much the same life style Elsie had in 1913 in the 50's in N.C. mountains. She read Elsie as an e-book and then ordered two autographed copies for herself and her sister. She wrote me a long detailed e-mail about her growing up as a sharecropper's child that was fascinating. I hope to meet her on my next trip to the south. Meeting via emails and letters with readers has been an unexpected blessing of writing a book. B

message 8: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 4 comments Bernice you should post a link to your list as i can't find it trying to search. thanks

message 9: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments MissSusie,
Yes, here it is the link the new List: Fiction based on the Author's Ancestors.
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/34...

message 10: by Deb (new)

Deb | 2 comments Bernice wrote: "I am interested in discovering works of fiction based on the author's family history, so I just created a new Listopia list called, Fiction Based on the Author's Ancestors. Please add your favorite..."

Hi Bernice. That will be an interesting list. I have but have not read yet,The Princess of Nowhere I am looking forward to the books on this list. Debbie

message 11: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Deb wrote: "Bernice wrote: "I am interested in discovering works of fiction based on the author's family history, so I just created a new Listopia list called, Fiction Based on the Author's Ancestors. Please a..."

Deb, thanks for the feedback. I hope the list opens reading opportunities for all of us. B.

message 12: by Liz V. (new)

Liz V. (wwwgoodreadscomlizv) You may find The Spy Lover interesting.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela_w) I added Shelton Johnson's book Gloryland . Johnson is a park ranger at Yosemite. He research his family's history and discovered that there had been Buffalo Soldiers in Yosemite.

message 14: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments thank you, Angela!

message 15: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Liz wrote: "You may find The Spy Lover interesting.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15..."

Hi Liz,
If you feel it qualifies for the new list, please add it. B.

message 16: by Liz V. (new)

Liz V. (wwwgoodreadscomlizv) Bernice wrote: "Liz wrote: "You may find The Spy Lover interesting.

Hi Liz,
If you feel it qualifies for the new list, please add it. B."

Bernice,

Tried but unsure it worked.

message 17: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Liz wrote: "Bernice wrote: "Liz wrote: "You may find The Spy Lover interesting.

Hi Liz,
If you feel it qualifies for the new list, please add it. B...."

Liz, I see it! Thanks. B.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephadele) | 10 comments Sally Gunning of Cape Cod has written a remarkable trilogy of historical fiction of her ancestors in the area as told by the women in the family....Check her out!

message 19: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Hi Stephanie,
thanks for the lead. Sally has written a long list of books. Could you add the titles to the list that you have in mind? B.

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Adair | 163 comments Bernice, does fiction inspired by (v. based on) an author's ancestor count? :-)

There's a sub-plot in my upcoming release, A Hostage to Heritage: A Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller, about child soldiers. It was inspired by my research into my patriot ancestors for membership in the DAR. I found out that my g-g-g-grandfather joined a regular Continental unit when he was 12 years old, was issued a uniform and musket, and was on the payroll. His unit was in several huge battles and wintered at Valley Forge. This was such a shocker to my family and me because our oral history said that he'd joined a militia unit at age 17 and never really seen any action. Plus it brought home the fact that the issue of child soldiers has been with humanity for all history. So that's where the sub-plot came from.

message 21: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Suzanne wrote: "Bernice, does fiction inspired by (v. based on) an author's ancestor count? :-)

There's a sub-plot in my upcoming release, A Hostage to Heritage: A Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller, a..."

Yes, please add it, Suzanne. Fits the "somewhat" in the definition.

message 22: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Adair | 163 comments Thanks, Bernice. I'll add it when the book becomes available.

message 23: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Great!

message 24: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 46 comments I don't think I'm allowed on the list because my work is on the Internet w/no publisher, but I wanted to mention that it's based on my grandparents' survival in the 1930's.

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlstory.wordpress.com

message 25: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Shelley wrote: "I don't think I'm allowed on the list because my work is on the Internet w/no publisher, but I wanted to mention that it's based on my grandparents' survival in the 1930's.

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bo..."

Hi Shelley,
I took a quick look and the writing seems like poetry? With a fictionalized approach? I am thinking that once something is published on the net, it is published, but wonder how Goodreads would treat it. Why don't you ask the Goodreads HELP for their thoughts? Have you considered, though, creating an eBook, if the rights still belong to you? B.

message 26: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 52 comments Shelley,

I took a quick look too, and your story looks like a fantastic account of many lives in a hard time. Your opening sentence seems backwards though -- wouldn't dark clouds of dust "turn day to night", rather than "turn night to day"?

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo Butler (joannbutler) | 17 comments Hi Bernice, and thanks for an intriguing list! My historical novels "Rebel Puritan" and just-published "The Reputed Wife" are based on the life of my 8th-great grandmother. and I recently added them to the list.

message 28: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Thanks so much, JoAnn. are you also a genealogist?

message 29: by J.D. (new)

J.D. (Thunderhorse) | 6 comments This is wonderful! My book, Iniquitous Connections: The Dark is about some of my ancestors. It is fiction with using some real stories of their lives. I plan a pre-sequel to begin with my maternal grandfather's ancient ancestors, the Frisiis of Germany, starting around 700 BC. I have a sort-of outline in my brain... I hope this group catches on, I can't wait to read more. (JD Langston-author)
Iniquitous Connections The Dark by Langston J D

message 30: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments J.D. wrote: "This is wonderful! My book, Iniquitous Connections: The Dark is about some of my ancestors. It is fiction with using some real stories of their lives. I plan a pre-sequel to begin with my maternal ..."

J.D.
Please feel free to add your book to the list, since it is fiction based on your ancestors. B.

message 31: by J.D. (new)

J.D. (Thunderhorse) | 6 comments J.D. wrote: "This is wonderful! My book, Iniquitous Connections: The Dark is about some of my ancestors. It is fiction with using some real stories of their lives. I plan a pre-sequel to begin with my maternal ..."

Please tell me how to find your Listopia. Thanks, JD

message 32: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments J.D. wrote: "J.D. wrote: "This is wonderful! My book, Iniquitous Connections: The Dark is about some of my ancestors. It is fiction with using some real stories of their lives. I plan a pre-sequel to begin with..."

J.D.
Here is the link.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/34...

message 33: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Adair | 163 comments I added A Hostage to Heritage, Bernice!

message 34: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Suzanne wrote: "I added A Hostage to Heritage, Bernice!"

Hi Suzanne,
Your books look great, but In taking a spin I didn't see any mention that this book or some of your others are based on your family history? Did I miss it?

message 35: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Adair | 163 comments Bernice wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I added A Hostage to Heritage, Bernice!"

Hi Suzanne,
Your books look great, but In taking a spin I didn't see any mention that this book or some of your others are based on your fa..."

Look at messages 20 and 21 above. :-)

message 36: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Suzanne wrote: "Bernice wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I added A Hostage to Heritage, Bernice!"

Hi Suzanne,
Your books look great, but In taking a spin I didn't see any mention that this book or some of your others are ..."

Suzanne,
My apology. There have been many notes and questions about this list and I failed to make the connection. Thanks for adding the book.

message 37: by Jo (new)

Jo Butler (joannbutler) | 17 comments Bernice wrote: "Thanks so much, JoAnn. are you also a genealogist?"

I've been researching my family since 1979. It's so much easier these days, but I treasure all the time I spent in town halls and cemeteries.

message 38: by LK (new)

LK Hunsaker (lkhunsaker) | 1 comments Protect The Heart is based loosely on two of my great uncles who were pilots in WW2. One of them didn't come back and that features in the story. The story itself is fiction, so it's more inspired by than about them. I'm not sure if that's what you want.

Protect the Heart by LK Hunsaker

message 39: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments JoAnn wrote: "Bernice wrote: "Thanks so much, JoAnn. are you also a genealogist?"

I've been researching my family since 1979. It's so much easier these days, but I treasure all the time I spent in town halls a..."

It is easier, today! Just this week, though, on the Yahoo Lithuanian genealogy forum, there was discussion about how some cemeteries are prohibiting photographing. Also, how some online records from cities near Chicago, I believe, are not accessible right now. towns are renegotiating arrangements with either familysearch or ancestry.com. Is anything like this changing in your location?

message 40: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments LK wrote: "Protect The Heart is based loosely on two of my great uncles who were pilots in WW2. One of them didn't come back and that features in the story. The story itself is fiction, so it's more inspired ..."

LK, do add your book. The definition for the list allows for "somewhat" based on family history. B.

message 41: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Hi Everyone,
Thank you again for all your book posts to the List. I wanted to share that I went to Lithuania in June, kind of a long-imagined genealogy trip. I met relatives for the first time, and oh, they were so wonderful to my husband and I. I had this peculiar feeling there numerous times of familiarity, yet I've never been there before. Maybe my DNA was telling me differently! Well, anyway, I wrote a blog piece about this, after a writer friend who had just come back from Poland posed the same question to me in an email. Thought the piece might interest some of you especially those who have traveled to their ancestral homelands or plan to do so. B.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 42: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 607 comments Mod
Hey guys, sorry I'm just now getting around to checking out the thread. What a great idea! And a coincidence because I just read a book based on the authors' ancestors: Forty Years in a Day Italian immigrants in Hell's Kitchen. Pretty good.

message 43: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Jenny wrote: "Hey guys, sorry I'm just now getting around to checking out the thread. What a great idea! And a coincidence because I just read a book based on the authors' ancestors: Forty Years in a Day Italian..."

Thanks Jenny! We've been getting much positive feedback like yours on the creation of this list and have had lots of participation in the adding of titles. It continues to grow. Please feel free to add the title you mentioned and vote on any that are also familiar. B.

message 44: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 46 comments A tardy but heartfelt thanks to Bernice and Jeanne. Bernice, I do own all rights, but I don't know what to do with them: thanks for the suggestions. I'm so bad with computer things! And Jeanne! I can't believe I didn't see that horrible mistake. I just went in and fixed it. Thanks for trying to keep me from making a fool of myself!

Shelley
Rain, A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlstory.wordpress.com

message 45: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Shelley wrote: "A tardy but heartfelt thanks to Bernice and Jeanne. Bernice, I do own all rights, but I don't know what to do with them: thanks for the suggestions. I'm so bad with computer things! And Jeanne! I c..."

You are most welcome, Shelley!

message 46: by R. (new)

R. Riddle (rfrederickriddle) | 12 comments I just added my newest novel, Dead Eye Will, to listopia. This book is not yet available for people to vote on, but it will be published November 22, 2013.

The story is based on my ancestor's, James Riddle, brother William Riddle. I used both fact and fiction to weave an adventure tale taking place in America during the period 1812 - 1836. Dead Eye Will by R Frederick Riddle

message 47: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 52 comments LOL, Shelley! You're welcome! We both need to come here more often! I just saw your 'thank you' (written in August) for my observation written in April!

message 48: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephadele) | 10 comments Bernice wrote: "Hi Stephanie,
thanks for the lead. Sally has written a long list of books. Could you add the titles to the list that you have in mind? B."

The Widow's War
Bound
The Rebellion of Jane Clarke
Benjamin Franklin's Bastard

message 49: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 29 comments Stephanie wrote: "Bernice wrote: "Hi Stephanie,
thanks for the lead. Sally has written a long list of books. Could you add the titles to the list that you have in mind? B."

The Widow's War
Bound
The Rebellion of..."

Hi, if these titles meet the list definition, please feel free to add them. Here's the link. Thanks so much! B.
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 50: by Harold (new)

Harold Titus (haroldtitus) | 98 comments I had fun creating a scene in my Revolutionary War novel that features two direct ancestors of mine 5 and 6 generations back, their names Deliverance Parmenter of Sudbury, Massachusetts, and his son, Oliver Parmenter. Most of the scene is about the conversation they have about the father risking his life to go fight the redcoats at the beginning of the war, April 19, 1775. Deliverance did go with his militia company toward Concord, and he did engage the redcoat army as it retreated from Concord. The conversation father and son had is fiction. Oliver, the son, was old enough near the end of the war to soldier as well. His daughter, Mary Parmenter, married into the Titus line.