Historical Fictionistas discussion

HF Book Lists > Fiction based on an Author's Ancestors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments I am interested in discovering works of fiction based on the author's family history, so I just created a new Listopia list called, Fiction Based on the Author's Ancestors. Please add your favorite reads of this type. Thanks in advance. B.

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 139 comments Mine is based on my ancestors and is helped by father, a master level genealogist, and many many days and days of research of the times and events my family particpated in. It's civil war era action/adventure. An article I had published in 'True West' magazine and based on my Dad's research can be found on my website.

The book is Sideshow At Honey Creek. Check my author page.

Goodread authors Christoph Fischer (The Luck of the Weissenheimers) and Kathryn Hohmann (Soldier's Rest) I also believe used family histories. These are good reads.

message 3: by Christoph (new)

Christoph Fischer | 9 comments Thanks Bernice and Steven
Sideshow at Honey Creek
The Luck of the Weissensteiners
I wish I could think of any others

message 4: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Hi Christoph,
Please go ahead and just add them to the list, if you haven't already. I know you read a tremendous amount, so if you discover others, I hope you continue to add them. Thanks so much. BLR

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam (adam_yamey) | 20 comments Here are two of my books that fit in with this theme Rogue of Rouxville & ALIWAL

message 6: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth There is a new novel out that is excellent. It's based upon his Armenian heritage, and the story begins in a village where one of his grandmothers was born.

My company actually helped the author with the design and production of the book, website, etc. and am working with him on the marketing strategy. But I picked up this project b/c I truly loved the manuscript. The reviews are coming in and they are great. would love it if you would add this to your list! and hope that I am following the group rules appropriately in suggesting it.

-beth

A Perfect Armenian

message 7: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Adam wrote: "Here are two of my books that fit in with this theme Rogue of Rouxville & ALIWAL"

Hi Adam,
Would you add your titles to the list directly? Here is the link.
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/34...

message 8: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Beth wrote: "There is a new novel out that is excellent. It's based upon his Armenian heritage, and the story begins in a village where one of his grandmothers was born.

My company actually helped the author ..."

Hi Beth,
The book sounds wonderful! could you add it directly to the list? here's the link and thanks.
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/34...

message 9: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Absolutely, done, and thank you! It's nice to meet everyone. This looks like a fun group!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennepstein) I believe Joanna Hershon's lovely novel The German Bride: A Novel is based on a story she'd heard about one of her ancestors, a German Jewess from Berlin who came to Santa Fe in the 1800's to wed a German Jewish merchant there....and her new novel, A Dual Inheritance is based on stories her father told her about being a Jewish student at Harvard in the 1950's.

message 11: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Woodland | 68 comments Try the Blue Suitcase The Blue Suitcase by Marianne Wheelaghan
the story has a strong link to the author - check the blurb. I enjoyed the book.

message 12: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 673 comments The Snake Fence, by Janet Kastner Olshewsky, is based on her ancestors. Set in 1755, Quakers confronting a world in which they are a minority opposed to war—and the French and Indian War is about to break out.

Ideal for teens who don't care for the Hunger Games/Twilight juggernaut and for schools, including home schooling, because it raises a lot of moral questions suitable for kids of that age.

message 13: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 93 comments The Hangman's Daughter series is also inspired/based on the author's ancestors.

message 15: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments D wrote: "The Hangman's Daughter series is also inspired/based on the author's ancestors."

D wrote: "The Hangman's Daughter series is also inspired/based on the author's ancestors."

Geoff, C.P., and D,
I think the Blue Suitcase is already on the list, but double check me, and feel free to add the Snake Fence and Hangman's Daughter if not there. It's a great sign that the list of books is getting long enough that I'm no longer sure if a title is on the list! So, thanks again to all who have contributed! BLR

message 16: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Jennifer wrote: "I believe Joanna Hershon's lovely novel The German Bride: A Novel is based on a story she'd heard about one of her ancestors, a German Jewess from Berlin who came to Santa Fe in the 1800's to wed a..."
Hi Jennifer,
Could you confirm on the first title and then add them both if based on the author's ancestors? Thanks so much for suggesting them. B.

message 17: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Sharon wrote: "A Cargo of Women: The Novel"

This sounds like a fascinating book, but in its description there does not seem to be evidence that the story is based on the author's ancestors. Do you have further info on the book, Sharon? B.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 235 comments Yes...the author also wrote the non-fiction account that the fictional book is based on titled the same name.

A Cargo of Women: Susannah Watson and the Convicts of the Princess Royal

Both books are considered best sellers based on the authors ancestor Susanna Watson that came to Australia with 100 other women on the Princess Royal.

message 19: by Sharon (last edited May 03, 2013 08:39PM) (new)

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 235 comments The afterforward of the fictional account states that so much of A Cargo of Women: The Novel is true, that in the end, it was inevitable that the title would be similar to the non-fiction study of one hundred female prinsoners on which it is based.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennepstein) Bernice wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I believe Joanna Hershon's lovely novel The German Bride: A Novel is based on a story she'd heard about one of her ancestors, a German Jewess from Berlin who came to Santa Fe in th..."
Just checked and it was Joanna's friend who had "Jewish cowboys" for ancestors--so I guess that doesn't quite fit. But I know for sure
A Dual Inheritance was inspired by her dad so I will certainly add it!

message 21: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Jennifer wrote: "Bernice wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I believe Joanna Hershon's lovely novel The German Bride: A Novel is based on a story she'd heard about one of her ancestors, a German Jewess from Berlin who came t..."

Great. Thanks for checking further, Jennifer. B.

message 22: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Sharon wrote: "The afterforward of the fictional account states that so much of A Cargo of Women: The Novel is true, that in the end, it was inevitable that the title would be similar to the non-fiction study of ..."

I'll leave to you, Sharon, to add the appropriate book. B.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennepstein) Bernice wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Bernice wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I believe Joanna Hershon's lovely novel The German Bride: A Novel is based on a story she'd heard about one of her ancestors, a German Jewess from ..."

You are most welcome!

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 235 comments This is the fictional account A Cargo of Women: The Novel

There is also another Australian famous author who wrote about her ancestor - also historical fiction
Morgan's Run

message 25: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Sharon wrote: "This is the fictional account A Cargo of Women: The Novel

There is also another Australian famous author who wrote about her ancestor - also historical fiction
Morgan's Run"

As long as the books meet the definition, please feel free to add them to the list. Thanks - B.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennepstein) Oh--and one more. Always thrilled to bring this one up: The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer. Inspired by the story of her Hungarian grandparents, who were in Paris when the Holocaust began. One of my favorite historical novels in the recent past.... I'll add it as well.

message 27: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Jennifer wrote: "Oh--and one more. Always thrilled to bring this one up: The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer. Inspired by the story of her Hungarian grandparents, who were in Paris when the Holocaust began. One ..."

Great! Thanks. B.

message 28: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 673 comments Bernice, just FYI, I tried to add my books to the list and nothing happened. That is why I posted them here.

Mobile problem? Hard to know. But so it is.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennepstein) Just thought of one more--Padma Viswanathan's epic The Toss of a Lemon, which is based on several generations of Padma's own family history in India. Gorgeously-written.

message 30: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments C.P. wrote: "Bernice, just FYI, I tried to add my books to the list and nothing happened. That is why I posted them here.

Mobile problem? Hard to know. But so it is."

did you resolve this C.P.? If not, please ask a friend to assist. there is a limit of how many votes each Goodreads member can use and I've used many of mine. B.

message 31: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Jennifer wrote: "Just thought of one more--Padma Viswanathan's epic The Toss of a Lemon, which is based on several generations of Padma's own family history in India. Gorgeously-written."

Jennifer, feel free to add it if meets the list definition. thanks so much for continuing to think of books for this list. b.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennepstein) You are very welcome. Thanks for starting me thinking on it--it's such an interesting topic that 'm tempted now to try to start a book on one of my own ancestors...if I can figure out which one!

message 33: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments I think every family has at least one story that others would also find captivating! Sounds like there are many opportunities for you. The Jan/Feb issue of Family Chronicle magazine has an article about my decision to write about my family rather than just research them for mostly facts. The choice to write stories has been an odyssey of gaining more research depth about fewer ancestors, but more meaning including current relationships with living relatives -- learning about their lives and also why/who I am. B.

message 34: by Diane (new)

Diane Lewis Jennifer wrote: "You are very welcome. Thanks for starting me thinking on it--it's such an interesting topic that 'm tempted now to try to start a book on one of my own ancestors...if I can figure out which one!"

My great-great (unsure how many "greats" without looking at the chart) uncle was Meriwether Lewis of Lewis and Clark fame, but he's so well-known many have written about him already.

message 35: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeww) Jubilee by Margaret Walker. Her book came out before Roots, and is the story of her slave ancestors during the Civil War & Reconstruction. A compelling read.

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennepstein) Diane wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "You are very welcome. Thanks for starting me thinking on it--it's such an interesting topic that 'm tempted now to try to start a book on one of my own ancestors...if I can figure ..."
Ah--but a novel written by a relative? Always room for one more!

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane Lewis Jennifer wrote: "Diane wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "You are very welcome. Thanks for starting me thinking on it--it's such an interesting topic that 'm tempted now to try to start a book on one of my own ancestors...if..."

I wish one of my relatives back then had left a diary; that would make it so much more interesting.

message 38: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Diane wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Diane wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "You are very welcome. Thanks for starting me thinking on it--it's such an interesting topic that 'm tempted now to try to start a book on one of my o..."

I wish my family had left diaries, too! I just finished Barbara Waite's wonderful book about her grandmother, based largely on a diary kept when she went to teach in the new state of Arizona. Have you read Adventures of an Arizona School Teacher 1913-1916?

message 39: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Sharon wrote: "Roots: The Saga of an American Familyby Alex Haley"

this book is already on the list. B.

message 40: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Renee wrote: "Jubilee by Margaret Walker. Her book came out before Roots, and is the story of her slave ancestors during the Civil War & Reconstruction. A compelling read."

Please add it to the list. thanks. B.

message 41: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Jennifer wrote: "Just thought of one more--Padma Viswanathan's epic The Toss of a Lemon, which is based on several generations of Padma's own family history in India. Gorgeously-written."

Please go ahead and add. Sounds great! B.

message 42: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 235 comments I thought I started from the front of the thread...deleted.

message 43: by Sandra (new)

Sandra O'Briant (sandraramosobriant_) | 44 comments The Sandoval Sisters' Secret of Old Blood My maternal grandmother was a Sandoval and my mother told me stories about them and their adopted Anglo sons whose parents died on the Santa Fe Trail. The book I've written is based on research for the period, 1840-1848, in Texas and New Mexico, but the family historical records were spotty. The sisters I've written are imagined. Alma's runaway marriage with Bill and the prejudices of her mother-in-law is mostly my mother's story set 100 years earlier. "Winner, Best Historical Fiction and Best First Book, ILWA, 2013."

message 44: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments It seems that your book was inspired by the family stories you heard, even if not the exact history fictionalized. suggest you add it! B.

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Lloyd (jennyoldhouse) Bernice wrote: "I am interested in discovering works of fiction based on the author's family history, so I just created a new Listopia list called, Fiction Based on the Author's Ancestors. Please add your favorite..."

My novel, Leap the Wild Water, was inspired by a discovery I made while researching my family history. My great-great-grandmother had an illegitimate child taken from her which was boarded with a woman who took in these children for payment. Further research into the social history of the time and place (early 19th century Wales) revealed this happened often to avoid shame on the family.

message 46: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 47 comments Jenny wrote: "Bernice wrote: "I am interested in discovering works of fiction based on the author's family history, so I just created a new Listopia list called, Fiction Based on the Author's Ancestors. Please a..."

please add your book to our list. Thanks. B.

message 47: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Lloyd (jennyoldhouse) Bernice wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Bernice wrote: "I am interested in discovering works of fiction based on the author's family history, so I just created a new Listopia list called, Fiction Based on the Author's Ances..."
It is done, many thanks, Jenny.
Leap the Wild Water

message 48: by Janet (new)

Janet Berg (goodreadscomjanetleeberg) | 29 comments I've recently completed two historical novels with great commercial appeal, as we await the outcome of the Dutch court system. Our grandfather was a renowned Dutch art dealer who traded a Rembrandt to the Nazis in exchange for Jewish lives, as appeared in the New York Times. My books are titled "Rembrandt's Shadow" and "Restitution."

message 49: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Means | 3 comments I didn't know I was in such good company! My ancestor-inspired novel is still an unpublished manuscript. But I'm working on that, and I'm glad to see there's such an interest in this approach. Bodes well, I hope, for future sales.
My story, entitled Landing, pivots between past and present, and is based on an ancestor who left Britain and joined the U.S. Artillery to fight in the Mexican War of 1846/47. Unfortunately he died of battle wounds.
For me, there are so many intriguing and unanswered questions about his life and motives.

message 50: by Janet (new)

Janet Berg (goodreadscomjanetleeberg) | 29 comments Exactly...when we don't have all the answers, we have to surmise what the characters may have done thru our fiction. My books should be out sometime in the fall. Right now they're in production.

« previous 1