Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Brothers Grimm

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 71 comments There are two works for the complete fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm:

1. http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...

2. http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...
Those are mostly German editions with the title "Kinder- und Hausmärchen" (= "Children's and Household Tales"), which seem to be the complete collection as well, only with a different title.

Is it okay to combine those works?

message 2: by Catalina (new)

Catalina | 2065 comments If you are sure only the title is different, then yea, you can combine!

message 3: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 71 comments Thank you, Catalina-laura, but how could I?
I only know that some of the German editions have this title and are complete editions. I tried to check the others, but it is not possible to be sure, as long as they have something like "complete collection" as a subtitle or the index can be found somewhere.

I just hoped there was a Grimm expert among us who would be able to say if "Kinder- und Hausmärchen" = "Complete..." or not.

message 4: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 71 comments This is was Wikipedia has to say:

Grimms' Fairy Tales

(...)

Children's and Household Tales (German: Kinder- und Hausmärchen) is a collection of German fairy tales first published in 1812 by the Grimm brothers, Jacob and Wilhelm. The collection is commonly known in the Anglosphere as Grimm's Fairy Tales (German: Grimms Märchen).

According to that, they are the same work.

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5036 comments I've been working on these on and off for a while. I've found that it can be a good idea to check individual editions as some are only clear to be NOT complete when their descriptions are checked. Add to that, if they are using the default description, you need to look it up on somewhere like Worldcat to see the contents... Different # of stories = different editions