Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Iraq War 2003: What Really Happened Behind The Political Scenes

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (last edited Mar 16, 2013 12:25AM) (new)

Charles Edmund (charlescoyote) | 2 comments My name is Charles Edmund Coyote and I would like to submit my book “Iraq War 2003: What Really Happened Behind The Political Scenes” for your review. It is a 323 page Kindle book with over 600 citations ranging from insider memoirs to the accounts of journalists, former government officials, policy wonks, military leaders, and news broadcasters. It blends together events from the Iraq-Iran war and the Gulf war to 9/11 and the hunt for Osama bin Laden. Some personal opinions are expressed.

Please go to http://www.amazon.com/IRAQ-WAR-2003-P... to check out the description and a few chapters. The book is currently on sale, and is FREE FOR AMAZON PRIME MEMBERS.

If you think you might be interested in reading it and posting a review on Amazon and goodreads, I’ll gladly gift it to you through Amazon. (This is the best way to do it, since the book is listed with the Kindle Select Program). Please let me know if you have any questions. I can be reached at charlescedmund@gmail.com

Thank you for reading this.

Charles

HERE IS AN EXCERPT FROM CHAPTER ONE:

...Above Washington D.C., a Boeing 757 of American Airlines Flight 77 was commandeered by the poorly skilled Hani Hanjour and four other al-Qaeda terrorists. They swooped in from the north, executed a difficult 330 degree turn, and descended 2,200 feet to slam, ground-level, into the western face of the Pentagon at 530 miles an hour. In eight-tenths of a second it ripped through more than 300 feet of the outer three ring sections of the building bursting into a massive fireball and disintegrating the lives of 189 people.

In the beautiful late summer skies above Shanksville, Pennsylvania, a group of passengers determined to provide a moment of resistance to the devastating attacks on the American spirit. Their plane, United Flight 93, was off course and not responding to air traffic control. It had been seized that morning at 9:28 by four hijackers with box cutters and knives. One of the terrorists carried a small package tied around his upper body, which he claimed was a bomb. Their pilot, Ziad Jarrah, had turned the flight back toward the East Coast, presumably toward Washington, D.C.

UAL 93’s takeoff from Newark, New Jersey, had been delayed more than 40 minutes that morning because of congested airport traffic. By the time it reached the Cleveland area in Ohio, around 9:30 am, the other two doomed planes had already slammed their passengers into the World Trade Center. Inside UAL 93, four Arab men stood, tied red bandannas around their heads, and killed the cabin crew.

Most of Flight 93’s passengers were then herded back to the rear seats. Because several had cell phones or could use the onboard GTE Airfones, they were able to reach their families and other ground personnel. The hijackers did not seem to care, but through these contacts the passengers were learning that their own hijacking was not an isolated incident.

The passengers took a vote and, deciding they had nothing to lose, determined that they would try to take their plane back before it too ended up a suicidal missile. Todd Beamer, attempting to call his wife, Lisa, from a seatback phone in the rear of the plane, had instead been routed to GTE phone operator Lisa Jefferson. Beamer told the operator about the hijacking and the vote the passengers had taken to ‘jump on’ the skyjackers before they could carry out their plans. Operator Jefferson could hear the screams and commotion in the background as other passengers prepared boiling water to throw on their hijackers. She joined Beamer and his seatmates in a recitation of the Lord's Prayer. As the plane fitfully lurched and swayed, Beamer and others recited the 23rd Psalm: "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil…” At about 9:55 a.m., Jefferson heard someone ask, “Are you ready?” Beamer got Jefferson to promise she would call his family and then heard what Todd’s wife, Lisa, believes were her husband's last words: "Let's roll.” [10]

The revolt on Flight 93 began at 9:57 am, as the group of salespeople, corporate executives, lawyers, a retired ironworker, a waiter going to his son's funeral, a fish and wildlife officer, a former judo champion, a retired paratrooper, a weightlifter, a former policewoman, and others, rose up to confront the gruesome fate that had been thrown their way.

The cockpit voice recorder preserved the last minutes of the death struggle as the passengers rushed the first class section where the hijackers were anxiously waiting. Voices screamed and cursed in English and Arabic and the plane swayed, rolled and dove toward the earth. [11]
The hijackers in the cockpit exclaimed, "Is there something? A fight? Yeah?" A passenger shouts, “Let's get them!” An Arabic voice screams, “They're coming!”

Grabbing a service cart, the passengers attempted to batter in the cockpit door. Jarrah responded by rolling the airplane sharply right and left, trying to knock them off balance. "Hold, hold from the inside. Hold from the inside. Hold," he shouted at a fellow hijacker. When the assault continued through the rolling, Jarrah tried to throw them off by violently pitching the aircraft’s nose up and down. [12]

At 10:01 am, with the passengers only seconds away from breaking through the cabin, Jarrah was told by another hijacker to crash the plane rather than lose control of it: “Is that it?” Jarrah asked. “I mean, shall we pull it down?” Yes, put it in it, and pull it down,” was the response.
Jarrah rolled hard to the right turning the plane upside down into a 45 degree dive. Descending 8,000 feet in about 20 seconds, Jarrah ripped

message 2: by Midu, wants to try muesli! (new)

Midu Hadi | 627 comments Mod
Please sign up here and wait for a mod to put up your book,Charles.