The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

similiaraties between harry potter and percy jackson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Akash (last edited Mar 17, 2013 10:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Akash Kulgod before i begin i'd like to say i love both this book series...but if u read both i'm sure
u would have found quite a lot of similiarties...i listed just a few i found out and please add what i didn't notice..

In both PJ and HP the main characters are two boys and a girl...the girl is a smart,clever and almost a know it all(Hermonie and Annabeth)..the hero is sort of ordinary but has a special something(in HP its Harry's survival against Voldermot and in PJ its Percy's son of Posiedon)the third guy is sort of like a sidekick to the hero(Ron and Grover)
the bad guys are a bit similiar(Voldermot and Kronos)and both Chiron and Dumbledore are similiar too..then Smellly Gabe and the Dursleys....
Clarisse is a bit like Malfoy and Luke is like Snape(thought to be bad but actually good...also in the second book in PJ the sirens and the mirror in the first book of HP also describe almost the same thing.......
thats all i know.....anything i missed out??

april Both characters have messy dark hair and green eyes

message 3: by Akash (last edited Mar 17, 2013 10:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Akash Kulgod yeah...i didnt notice that!though in the movies both are totally different...

Akash Kulgod i suddenly remember Annabeth has a invisiblity cap and Harry has a invisibility cloak...and both are awesome series!

message 5: by Emily Ann (new)

Emily Ann You have to read them.

Akash Kulgod im pretty sure Harry Potter came first...but Percy Jackson is really awesome too...you really have to read it!!

Kaivallya I disagree with the two guys one girl thing. Grover is a major character only for the first book. After that, Percy and Annabeth get closer, and Grover takes a backseat. But in HP, Harry, Ron and Hermione stick together through all seven books, except for part of the seventh when Ron isn't with Harry and Hermione.
There's a similarity you missed out, and that's the fact that both Percy and Harry are better at fighting than things that involve brains. They both also have groups of friends who fight with them (Percy is helped by Annabeth, Tyson, Camp Half-Blood and the Hunters and Harry is helped by Ginny, Ron, Hermione, the Order of the Phoenix and the DA).

Akash Kulgod yeah your are right about Ron and Grover...but still i think Grover remains an important part of these books but not as important as Ron..your last two points are right...looks like a lot of similiarities!!but both are still awesome!!

message 9: by Luna (last edited Mar 21, 2013 07:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Luna Well, Percy & Harry are both Troubled kids, who have no control of there powers in the beginning. besides Harry is British and has snake speaking and a whole lot of other powers. Percy just has Water and horse speaking. With Annabeth & Grover there is no doubt that it Ron & Hermione- besides Ron not satyr and Annabeth the one scared of spiders. I think Chiron is like Dumbledore in a way without being half horse.

Akash Kulgod yep..jezz i totally forgot the spiders!!

Rachel Jackson Kaivallya wrote: "I disagree with the two guys one girl thing. Grover is a major character only for the first book. After that, Percy and Annabeth get closer, and Grover takes a backseat. But in HP, Harry, Ron and H..."

Grover is a major roles in the 1st, 3rd and 4th books. Other than percy and annabeth he is the most important character in the series.

Elizabeth Day Magical creatures in both... and... both are super good :D

Stephanie Grover's important in the third because they are looking for him.(my dad just tried to pause me)

Kaivallya Could you say that Fluffy and Mrs O'Leary are similar?

Akash Kulgod Actually you could say Fluffy and Cerebrus are similiar you know both have 3 heads and all...Another thing is in both series they are twins who play pranks(Fred and George and Travis and Conor)

Kaivallya Yeah, i forgot about the pranks. Are Travis and Connor Stoll twins?
I thought of another similarity...Harry's a Parselmouth and Percy speaks to horses...(he also understands George and Martha)

Akash Kulgod Megan wrote: "I respect all of your opinions, though I don't quite understand why so many people compare the two books. There are some similarities, but most of the ones that have been mentioned have more to do ..."

Yeah but we were just pointing out a few common things especially in the characters...

Akash Kulgod Sandra wrote: "reading the scene where they eat in the Romanc camp with the Lars in MoA reminds me of the feasts at Hogwarts

+ Chamber of Secrets and Sea of Monsters are both #2 and features the characters home ..."

yeah..It's seems like the formula for awesome books is the same..:)

Akash Kulgod Meeeeeeeiyu♫Lala Girl♫Imagines Dragons Girl♥ wrote: "I finished PJ one and two!Both were good"

Of course they were good..:D

Akash Kulgod Meeeeeeeiyu♫Lala Girl♫Imagines Dragons Girl♥ wrote: "Haha xD
Luke could be like Wormtail..."

Nah Luke's a bit like Snape IMO...
Crap you haven't finished the series have you??Get away fast the're a lot of spoilers!!

Akash Kulgod Meeeeeeeiyu♫Lala Girl♫Imagines Dragons Girl♥ wrote: "Lol okay.Next time I go to the bookstore I have to get tue rest of the books not just one book at a time-_-
because they r so good!"

Lol yeah...I get two books at a time..

message 22: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Akash wrote: "before i begin i'd like to say i love both this book series...but if u read both i'm sure
u would have found quite a lot of similiarties...i listed just a few i found out and please add what i didn..."

Luke is bad guy

Kaivallya Luke is not a bad guy. He's a guy who had a reason to hate the gods and that was used to Kronos' advantage. The first story of the Demigod Diaries is Luke's diary, which shows you his background. And Luke is the one who finally defeats Kronos in the Last Olympian. He's the hero of the prophecy. Percy just gives him the knife.

message 24: by Akansha (new) - added it

Akansha  Raj Can we just pause for a moment and think about the similarities between LOtR and HP? As well as PJ?

Akash Kulgod never read LOTR...

Alyssa Kanshi wrote: "Can we just pause for a moment and think about the similarities between LOtR and HP? As well as PJ?"
Yeah thats a really good point. And in lots of books they always have the same kinds of characters: the ones that would do the right thing if they knew how to ( grover is one example) The main character is often brave and the hero (PERCY!!!) then theres the one with the brains(Annabeth) etc. But I did notice some of things you guys are saying...

Kaivallya Another similarity, though not including LOTR- both are fantasy stories built on existing legend. J.R.R. Tolkein made up the whole thing, setting, creatures, and more, which is really great. But HP is based on 'regular' legend, like unicorns and werewolves and all that, and PJ is based on Greek mythology. Does that count as a similarity or is it too obvious?

Wendy yeah i think your a bit wrong. the girl in it yeah smart but annabeth isnt all about smarts like hermione. annabeth is smarter than hermione. but doesnt show it she will still relax . hermione is all uptight about stuff and would hit you if you got something wrong. ron is a jelaous buffoon while grover has his own background and is brave and wouldnt leave percy or get jealous. harry has emmerald green eyes jet black messy hair small, pale and is too honest and is all like to the rescue. percy tough is a skater boy before he went to camp he was a trouble maker. he has sea greeny blue eyes, tanned,toned,tall and is trusting but isnt all like i have to be the hero.

Kaivallya Yeah, Harry is a little more 'noble' than Percy, but remember all those times he broke rules. Second book, coming in a flying car...third and fifth books, the owls...the DA breaks into the Ministry in the fifth book...he bunks his seventh year and breaks into Gringotts...if that's not troublemaking, then what is?

whoufflestories Hmm, has anyone mentioned how both book title has the main characters name?

Um, Hogwarts and Camp-Halfblood could be alike. One is a school for witches, one is a training/home for demigods.

They are both AWEOSOME!

message 31: by Abby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby S. Ron and Grover both like food a lot and seem to take the same part.

Rachel J Akash wrote: "i suddenly remember Annabeth has a invisiblity cap and Harry has a invisibility cloak...and both are awesome series!"
The Lighting Thief is the first book. It's an amazing series. I highly recommend it.

Kaivallya These two aren't the only series with names that match that of the main character. Artemis Fowl and Alex Rider are others.
There's also a popular girl recovering from the loss of her boyfriend in both series- Silena in PJ and Cho in HP, though I think Silena's way better than Cho.

Akash Kulgod Chor wrote: "The stereotypes you mentioned are everywhere in literature. A trio of heroes, a side kick, someone amazingly smart, etc. It has all been done before. That's why authors today try to take an old ide..."

Yeah i suppose so...

Juliet You might be able to compare Tyson and Hagrid. Tyson is a Cylclops and Hagrid is half giant, and both are looked down on. They come off as slow but are actually pretty smart

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah...I sort of feel like Rick Riordan kinda copied Harry Potter...in some ways. But the writing styles and plot and setting is soooo different that the minor similarities don't matter. He based his books on mythology, not on Harry Potter, so I think it was mere coincidence. Maybe he did get some inspiration, but what author doesn't?
Both series are awesome. Harry Potter is destined to be a timeless classic that pleases all ages. Percy Jackson is a laugh out loud, edge of your seat, amazing novel.
Unless Riordan straight out says "I copied Harry Potter!" I'm not going to point fingers.

Georgianne Abby wrote: "Yeah...I sort of feel like Rick Riordan kinda copied Harry Potter...in some ways. But the writing styles and plot and setting is soooo different that the minor similarities don't matter. He based h..."

I agree with you! I think that every author is influenced by books that have already been written, but that doesn't mean they copied. As someone mentioned earlier, nearly all books have the same theme and similar characters. It's just the way it is. I was reading another one of these threads that was saying Cassandra Clare (City of Bones) copied Harry Potter too and really, it just doesn't make much sense.
If I were to write a book, chances are that I would have a trio of characters: one would be smart, another funny, and the last would be the hero. My characters would fight evil and there would be some romance. I think all authors are influenced by the books they read and try to combine ideas they liked with their own life experiences while adding their own unique twist.

Let me finish by saying that I absolutely LOVE both Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. These two series are the only ones that I have reread more times than I can count! My books are literally falling apart :) (Sorry LOTR fans, couldn't finish those)

Keeley 1. Both of them are the main characters
2. They both get a little hot-headed
3. They both have black hair and green hair (i know, weird, right?)
4. Both are from fantasy books
Yes, there are more, but I don't want to be writing every single detail out. :I

message 39: by Sophie (last edited Aug 28, 2013 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie B Well, Percy started out as a underdog, so did Harry. then they both became kind of superior. Plus they're both a big target for bad guys and monsters. And they both have two good friends, a guy and a girl. The guy is funny and the girl is smart. WEIRD!!!!!! :) ( p.s. even though they're similar they both AWESOME!!!!!!)

message 40: by FanficofBooks (last edited Sep 18, 2013 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

FanficofBooks Percy and Harry have green eyes, black hair, courage, and the need to be loyal to their friends. They both end up liking people that they have been around a lot, who are about the same age(and have even saved a couple of times). They are both kind hearted and seem to be followed by a girl and a boy as friends. The girl always seems to be the brains of the group, the boy cracks them up. They were both taught by excellent teachers. Both had enemies who tried to kill them multiple times. Both had places to call home. They both had weird dreams. Both had difficulties in school. Both got angry and then weird things happened. They were not the most popular of guys at first and they both got accused of doing something bad(Chamber of Secrets/Master Bolt).They both had their mentors taken away for a while.

message 41: by Shivank (new)

Shivank SIMILARITIES B/W PJ & HP
*Percy's character is like Harry"s
*Annabeth and Hermione are intelligent
*Grover And Ron both are full blooded
*Chiron & Dumbeldore both hve same nature
*Snape is like Zeus
*Kronos returned after cut down in billion pieces& Voldemort also used Horcruxs
*Both percy n harry had dreams about evil
*luke was like Draco
*camp half blood was like hogwartz
*beckendford died like robert pattinson(in goblet of fire)
*rachel was like ginny
*both pj n hp had green eyes n kind
*both had trouble in scul

message 42: by Booknerd13531 (last edited Feb 18, 2014 04:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknerd13531 Shivank wrote: "SIMILARITIES B/W PJ & HP
*Snape is like Z..."

1. I kind of agree. They both have their differences, though.
2 and 3. Annabeth and Hermione are alike, except Annabeth is much better at fighting, and she doesn't mind getting in trouble. Well...Satyrs are half goat, so he's not really full blooded
4. They have same nature, and are both very old. I agree
5. How in the world is Snape like Zeus?
6. These things are way different. The horcruxes kept Voldemort alive, while the cutting into a billion pieces made Kronos...well..almost dead
7. Percy's dreams are not always of evil.
8. Luke was not like Draco. Luke chose to be evil. Draco was grown up the way he was. Luke died a hero, while Draco switched sides frequently so he wouldn't die. (Told death eaters he was on their side, than ended up on right side)
9. They are very different. Camp half blood is a safe haven for demigods. They learn Greek, sword fighting, rock climbing, archery, and many other skills that can keep them alive. Hogwarts is a place for wizards and witches to learn magic
10. Beckendorf died voluntarily. He died a hero. Ceric was caught off guard, and didn't have a chance to try to defend himself.
11. Rachel is nothing like Ginny, Sure they both have red hair, but Rachel is the oracle, while Ginny is a witch, and future wife of Harry Potter
12. agreed
13. Harry doesn't have trouble in school. He passed most of his OWLS. Percy has dyslexia and ADHD, of course he has trouble in school.
I LOVE BOTH BOOKS!!!

Booknerd13531 Shivank wrote: "SIMILARITIES B/W PJ & HP
*Snape is like Z..."

Oh, and please learn to spell

Booknerd13531 Akash wrote: "before i begin i'd like to say i love both this book series...but if u read both i'm sure
u would have found quite a lot of similiarties...i listed just a few i found out and please add what i didn..."

Luke is not like snape, except for the first bad than good, part. Clarrise is a LOT worse than Malfoy. Also, Sirens are myths, so technically if anyone got the idea from anything, JK Rowling got it fro Greek mythology

Gayathri Sometimes I agree but mostly not. In Percy Jackson the characters are said to have a close relationship.
Harry Potter goes on and on, PJ stops when needed and is more fun. Rachel is nothing like Ginny, I mean hair color does not matter,there is no connection. But generally, PJ rules!!!

Tyler Bossom Horcruxes keeping Voldemort barely alive and cutting up Kronos to make him almost dead are basically the same thing. Also Ginny is not at all like Rachel. Ginny keeps DA alive and tries to fight the corruption of Hogwarts. Rachel exists to become the Oracle and tell Percy that "he is not the hero". Percy Jackson is still better though...

message 47: by Ai (new) - added it

Ai ok so i did not read the pJ seie just watched the movie, abd i think the other did not bother him or her self a lot in creating it, he or she just peeked into harrt potter and changed some fact but other than that the similarities are too obvious so not to tell it a plagia

Tyler Bossom Just because some characters have similar personality traits doesn't mean it was plagiarized you know. They bother just happen to be good series is all. I could make a case for other series to be similar too. Take Star Wars for example...

Percy-Harry-Luke S.-all the main hero, have had a troubled past, and have powerful parents

Chiron-Dumbledore-Yoda/Ben Kenobi-all the mentor of the hero that don't do much else really (aside from Ben/Obi-Wan)

Luke C.-Snape-Anakin-all originally good and then turned to the bad side and killed important people

Kronos-Voldemort-Palpatine (Darth Sidious)-all the ultimate bad guy that must be defeated in the end by the hero to secure peace for mankind

Grover-Ron-Han-all the sidekicks used mainly for comic relief

Annabeth-Hermione-Leia-the female sidekick that all participate in the action and are save the hero a few times

Tyson-Sirius-Leia-the long lost relative that was not found out about until the middle of the series

Nico-Neville-Lando-the fourth man of the team that shows up to help the hero when needed but is not a true main character

(Ares/Polyphemus/Atlas)-(Quirrel/Riddle's Ghost & Basilisk/Pettigrew/Crouch Jr./Bellatrix)-(Darth Maul/Count Dukoo/General Grievous/Jabba the Hutt/Boba Fett)-the secondary villians that must all be all defeated in order to get to the main villian

Clarrise-(Malfoy/Crabbe/Goyle)-(Jabba the Hutt/Watto)-the bullies that pushed around the main characters (not necessarily the hero)

Ares cabin members-Crabbe and Goyle-Bib Fortuna-the bullies sidekicks that helped push around main characters (not necessarily the hero)

The list goes on and on. I could also do more series, such as The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, 39 Clues, Maximum Ride, Kane Chronicles, Heroes of Olympus, The Maze Runner, or Artemis Fowl. I could even do more than that too I just can't think of any. Name a series and I will come up with people to fit those categories up there with the HP and PJ characters (if I have read it of course). In my opinion, these character types help to make up a good fantasy story. You might be able to leave out one or two and be OK, but in general it is these categories of character types.

message 49: by Ai (new) - added it

Ai i was talkiing about details such as prephecies and flying devices and 3 headed monsters and details such as theses

Tyler Bossom There are prophecies, flying objects, and monsters in books other than these. They may vary from book to book or movie to movie, and be closer in comparison to some than others, but they are there in most series you look at as I said before.

« previous 1 3