Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Manga > Shorter Series or Longer Series?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Which do you prefer? Do you read both? What are the benefits of a long series or short series?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I personally like a medium length series. Somewhere between 12-25 volumes is good for me. Of course, I'll read shorter series or longer series.

The nice thing about shorter series (10 or less volumes) is that you don't feel like you have to get too invested in them. I find that I often forget what's going on in longer series because I'll put them down to read another series because I want something different for the time being. A shorter series you don't have to get too involved with and worry about not being able to read other series.

However, when they're too short, it's sometimes disappointing. I really enjoyed Yurara, but it only has 5 volumes, so it felt a little too short. Granted, the way the story worked with the love-sqaure it had going on, I guess I'm glad that didn't drag forever. Plus, there is a sequel, which I'm going to pick up when I finish Fruits Basket.

Longer series can be nice because you can really get invested with the characters and story and just keep reading. I'm always hungry for the next Red River, which has 28 volumes (so it's not super long, but it is longer). The problem with long series is that they tend to drag on and get repetitive, at which point a lot of readers lose interest. I'm afraid to invest time into Naruto and Bleach simply because of their length.

message 3: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 114 comments I personally like medium length series as well.
The reason I don't like reading long series is that it is hard for me to get the volumes. (I really get annoyed with my library!) With short length manga and medium length manga, I find it quite easy going. I haven't read any long series because there are lots of other good manga out there as well. But I've heard from a lot of people that Bleach and Naruto are just awesome. I depends if your committed to reading the series I suppose.

message 4: by Aurora (new)

Aurora I personally like both. Like Wednesday said, with shorter series, you don't forget what's going on. However, my absolute favorite characters tend to be from longer series (probably cause I've invested more time on them).

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments I like a variety. Long series provide stability. I can always count on a new volume of One Piece to come out and that it will be the same characters and story than I've fallen in love with over the past 60 volumes. But it's really hard on my wallet. I've spent almost $200 (which is a lot of money to an unemployed student) on One Piece volumes, and I don't even own 1/3 of the series. Short series are much nicer when dealing with scare resources (whether it's time, money, or physical space), but it's disappointing when you find a gem only for it to end so soon.
I usually lean towards series that are about 8-ish volumes. That's a significantly lower commitment than 60+ volumes, but it's still long enough for the author to tell their story.

message 6: by Aurora (new)

Aurora Yep, around 8 is best. What is your opinion on manga still being serialized? I like the excitement a new chapter brings but sometimes it gets me so frustrated. Like, I wanna know what happens now. This is especially true for Nisekoi.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Dawn of the Arcana, which is amazing and getting really interesting, but it's still being serialized in Japan. So, it takes a while to be released in the US. I personally would rather read a series that is already finished because I don't really like waiting so long for the next book. I always forget what happened last.

message 8: by Nekokit (last edited Mar 16, 2013 06:50PM) (new)

Nekokit | 114 comments Yes same here!
I'm waiting for the Arisa series and Kimi ni Todoke.
I like to read finished series as well, but these series I'm waiting for are just awesome and I am looking forward to the other books. Sometimes I forget what happens last, but I read the section where it has the story so far.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so sad Kimi ni Todoke hasn't been completely released in the US yet.

message 10: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 389 comments Mod
Wednesday wrote: "I'm so sad Kimi ni Todoke hasn't been completely released in the US yet."

Is it finished in Japan?

I prefer short to medium length, though it always seems like I get sucked into the really long ones. XD

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments For ongoing or finished, it depends on whether I'm buying it or reading it though the library. If I'm buying it, I prefer if it's ongoing because it's easier to buy one volume at a time rather than multiple. Plus I don't have to worry about tracking down old or OOP volumes that way. If I'm just reading it, than I like finished more so I can get all of the volumes at once and finish them quickly.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Selena wrote: "Wednesday wrote: "I'm so sad Kimi ni Todoke hasn't been completely released in the US yet."

Is it finished in Japan?

I prefer short to medium length, though it always seems like I get sucked into..."

I think it's still being released in Japan, but last I checked it's almost finished.

Serene, I haven't been buying manga at all, so I don't have to worry as much about that. I have around 15-20 volumes in Japanese that I bought for reading practice. I've decided I'm only going to buy them in Japanese now. One, for uniformity. Two, for reading practice. I get them on Ebay and sometimes they're cheap, sometimes not. It depends on the series and the person selling them. However, of the 3 series I have, I am missing volumes in the middle of the series, so there is that problem with buying them on Ebay.

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments I like shorter series better. I think the only series that I've read past volume ten of are Bakuman and Dragon Ball. My interest usually just kind of fades after eight volumes or so. I find that the longer the series goes on, the more contrived the story seems. It's like they are desperately thinking of things to keep the series interesting or get new readers. I like stories that feel more like they were planned out from the beginning(even if they weren't).

I also like stories to have endings and I don't like having to wait such a long time to get to them. I don't want to read 50 volumes just to find out if two people get together ;)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I do find it annoying when it takes 50 volumes to get to the ending you know is coming. The longest series I've read is Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Volume 01. Although, the ending was so jumbled that I don't remember what happened.

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 224 comments Oh, I didn't realize how long Tsubasa was. I just checked out the first volume from the library. I guess I'll see if I can get through an entire series this time!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a great series. It gets a little filler-tastic sometimes, but is still really enjoyable. And yes, there are 28 volumes.

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments I think I like both long and short series. But I have not read any of the really large series yet (I am trying to work my way up). Right now I am in the middle of Fullmetal Alchemist and it is really, really good and it is only 27 volumes. I have read the first 4 volumes of Naruto and they were good. I think that will be the first large series that I invest my time in. I feel like I get more attached to characters when I read a longer series. But sometimes it is nice to read a short story in between some of the larger ones. It kind of gives me a break.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Apparently the first arc of Naruto (and first anime series) stops at volume 27, then Shippuden picks up after that. I think as far as Naruto I'm just going to read the first 27 volumes. I'm not sure I'm willing to get involved in Shippuden.

message 19: by Aurora (new)

Aurora I heard Shippuden's better than the first arc.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I've also heard that it's filler-tastic. Plus, 300+ episodes... No thanks. Maybe later when I don't have many other series I want to watch/read.

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 46 comments I hate it when a manga/anime has too much filler.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

That's why I have a love-hate relationship with Sailor Moon. It's a great show but has way too much filler.

message 23: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 114 comments I could not imagine me watching a 300+ episode anime series. That would just take me forever!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't exactly have the luxury of marathoning anime.

message 25: by Keely (new)

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 17 comments Because I have only recently got into manga, I will have to say both, but this may change as I read more manga.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Honestly, I think I'd get invested in Shippuden when I have more time for it and don't constantly have to put it down to focus on other responsibilities and interests.

message 27: by Aurora (new)

Aurora Wednesday wrote: "Honestly, I think I'd get invested in Shippuden when I have more time for it and don't constantly have to put it down to focus on other responsibilities and interests."

like moderating the club alone :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, plus my classes and trying to find work. Not to mention other series I'm reading.

message 29: by Aurora (new)

Aurora What are you majoring in?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Japanese. :D I'm such a language nerd.

message 31: by Aurora (new)

Aurora Wednesday wrote: "Japanese. :D I'm such a language nerd."

That's nice. I might minor in English when I start college. Are you Japanese? If not, then the fact that you even know the language is pretty amazing.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 10, 2013 07:05AM) (new)

Lived in the US all my life. So, no I'm not Japanese. I actually want to learn a lot of languages, but plan to make a career out of Japanese. I have been taking Spanish classes a lot longer.

message 33: by Aurora (new)

Aurora I think that's awesome. I tried learning Arabic but failed. I'm really good at English though. I only happen to know Urdu and Punjabi cause my parents speak to me in those languages.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Oops, typo. I meant to put I'm not Japanese (I changed it). Didn't realize I left that out.

I'm the only one in my family who speaks more than one language, other than my grandma who speaks Spanish. I love language.

message 35: by Aurora (new)

Aurora It's a powerful thing. :)